PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 92 shoulder plane (the new ones)

Nicholas Lawrence
12-24-2016, 6:16 PM
I have started a project with a lot of mortise and tenon joints, and decided a shoulder plane would come in handy. I know the Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley are clearly the best (as they are in most things they make). However, Amazon had the new Stanley 92 for sale for $62, with free shipping, and a $10 coupon on top of that. For $52, and with Amazon's solid return policy, I decided to take a chance. Since there is not a lot of information here about the new Stanleys I thought I would post a couple of observations.

If you look at the Amazon reviews there are two main criticisms I saw: (1) not square, and (2) not finished, in that the machining left sharp edges to cut yourself on. One of the posts I saw here had some issues with the screws not being properly cut as well.

The one I have is square. I don't know if I just got lucky or if the QC problems have been solved. Both screws seem to work fine.

It is an odd design, and comes apart in the middle. I thought there might be issues in getting everything lined up properly when you take it apart and put it back together. However, the machining on the one I have at any rate was pretty well done, and everything goes back together tightly and lines up properly.

The edges on the outside have been eased on the one I have, and are not sharp enough to cut. However, the edges on the insides have not been eased, and are very sharp. I can only see this being an issue when you take the blade out for sharpening, but it is something to watch out for. I may take a little fine sandpaper one day and see if I can improve that.

My biggest criticism of the design is that it is a little finicky in adjustment, and sharpening and replacing the cutter is an awkward process. I may appreciate the design more with time (I gather it is basically a copy of the one Stanley sold forever), but my first impression is that there ought to be a better way to take the blade out, sharpen, and replace it.

Overall, it is square, appears to be well made if not perfectly designed or finished, and works. If money is no object, I would imagine Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen are still the obvious choice, but for those on a budget, or who will use one only occasionally, the Stanley appears to be a workable option. I plan to keep mine at any rate.

David M Peters
12-24-2016, 8:39 PM
Good assessment! I've had 92 for over a year and am pretty happy with it; it gives a really good bang for one's buck. The chisel plane mode is a nice-to-have too, I use it for cleaning up glue squeeze out and flushing wood with a metal surface (table saw inserts).

Jim Koepke
12-25-2016, 1:47 AM
Nicholas,

I am curious about construction and features of the new #92. Is there any chance you can post some pictures?

I wonder if there is a screw in the top piece to set the mouth opening like there is in the old style shoulder planes:

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
12-25-2016, 3:02 PM
There is no adjusting screw like the one on Jim's older model. Here are a few photos

350107 350108 350109

The upper half simply slides onto the lower, and once you have it set where you want it, you lock it down with the screw.

Jim Koepke
12-25-2016, 3:28 PM
Thanks for the pictures Nicholas.

It is a nice looking plane to say the least. A little brass always gets me to look.

jtk

Patrick Chase
12-26-2016, 9:22 PM
I have started a project with a lot of mortise and tenon joints, and decided a shoulder plane would come in handy. I know the Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley are clearly the best (as they are in most things they make). However, Amazon had the new Stanley 92 for sale for $62, with free shipping, and a $10 coupon on top of that. For $52, and with Amazon's solid return policy, I decided to take a chance. Since there is not a lot of information here about the new Stanleys I thought I would post a couple of observations.

If you look at the Amazon reviews there are two main criticisms I saw: (1) not square, and (2) not finished, in that the machining left sharp edges to cut yourself on. One of the posts I saw here had some issues with the screws not being properly cut as well.

The one I have is square. I don't know if I just got lucky or if the QC problems have been solved. Both screws seem to work fine.

You probably got a typical plane. When manufacturers have poor QC it typically shows up in the form of variation. The average tool may be OK, but there are a fair percentage of bad ones. Also, the fraction of buyers that are represented in Amazon reviews is quite small, and enraged customers tend to be more likely to post than happy ones, so it doesn't take a very high "dud" rate to amass a nasty collection of reviews like that.

It is an odd design, and comes apart in the middle. I thought there might be issues in getting everything lined up properly when you take it apart and put it back together. However, the machining on the one I have at any rate was pretty well done, and everything goes back together tightly and lines up properly.

Not that odd. The LV bullnose converts to a chisel plane in a similar manner, and many metal shoulder planes have front sections that slide front-to-back w.r.t. the rest of the body to adjust the mouth. If you think about the tolerancing challenges involved a sliding forebody isn't really much easier than a removable one.

My biggest criticism of the design is that it is a little finicky in adjustment, and sharpening and replacing the cutter is an awkward process.

I have a modern Sweetheart low-angle block, and I've played with others' smoothers and jacks. What you say here is *exactly* my opinion of modern Stanley Sweetheart tools. They're accurate and functional provided you don't get a "dud" as noted above, and they get the job done. The adjustments are consistently less refined than in higher-end tools, with higher friction, more backlash, less precision etc. Whether they're good or bad value for the money depends on how much you care about such things.