PDA

View Full Version : Finish Turning Bowls

Mike Goetzke
12-23-2016, 11:24 PM
When finish turning bowls why do many pros not use vacuum chucks? Instead the make large jam chucks. Just seems to me that a vacuum chuck is much quicker and easier to use.

Thanks,

Mike

Roger Chandler
12-23-2016, 11:38 PM
For me it is the setup time........I have a HoldFast system that uses my air compressor and it has a venturi box. It is easier most of the time for me to just put on one of my chuck heads on the spindle and use it for a jam chuck, as it has a rubber seal to keep from marring the inside, and I just turn away the tenon to a little nub, and then use a chisel to cut it off. For platters, I generally do use the vacuum system, but I don't do all that many platters, so it is not real often.

BTW, I do not consider myself professional, although I do have my turnings in galleries for sale.........not sure your definition of "professional." ;)

Eric Gourieux
12-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Mike, one of the benefits of a vacuum chuck for me is that I can access the entire bottom of the turning. This can also be done with cole jaws and some jam chucks depending on the size and shape of the turning. I prefer the vacuum for most of my pieces. I have a home made vacuum system with a Gast vacuum, so the only set up is to insert the vacuum adapter into my spindle and screw on the vacuum chuck.

Don McClure
12-24-2016, 7:41 AM
I use the vacuum chuck all the time due ease of use. Saves me time and exposes me the entire base to work on. I would hate to ve with out it.

John Keeton
12-24-2016, 8:21 AM
You have directed your question toward "bowls" and "professionals." I would define "Professional" bowl turners as those earning a living from their work. I don't know how many of those frequent the creek, except for Reed Gray, so perhaps he will respond with his thoughts. I suspect many professional production bowl turners have shortcuts they have developed that work for them and perhaps eliminate the need for a vacuum chuck.

There are many times an art piece simply will not hold a vacuum, but you are asking about bowls. I am neither a professional nor a bowl turner, so I can't offer much.

Roger Chandler
12-24-2016, 9:18 AM
I agree with John, and sort of alluded to it in my post above, but I consider a "professional" a turner who makes his/her living exclusively at the lathe and selling their work. That is a tough way to make a viable income, and anyone who does it has my admiration!

I know a couple of professionals personally, who are in one of our clubs, and they work hard. They also have a pretty unique situation being hooked up to a historical tourist site, where people from all over the world visit, and has a gallery that sells their turnings made from wood that comes from Thomas Jefferson's home. Whatever they produce from that wood is automatically purchased outright by the gallery.

Reed Gray
12-24-2016, 12:13 PM
I turn green to final thickness, let them dry and warp, then sand out. I use a recess for my mount, and don't turn it off, but leave it as is, and I don't flatten out the bottoms after they warp. One reason is that it saves a step or two in the process. The other is that some times the bowls warp so much I couldn't turn the bottom flat. Even when turned flat, the wood still moves, so the bowl can rock a bit when sitting on a table. No one seems to mind and it kind of goes with the 'organic' style of warped bowls. On art pieces, or 'dust collectors', which I don't do too many of, I will most of the time turn off the bottom tenon. These are mostly vase type forms, and I don't use a recess on them.

I guess if I was doing twice turned pieces, my approach might differ.

robo hippy