PDA

View Full Version : Infeed Support for 6" Bench Jointer (PC160JT)

Adam Way
12-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Hi all. I have a small 6" bench jointer (Porter Cable PC160JT). It has a relatively small bed size, around 28" total and I currently use it on a Craftsman Universal Miter Saw Stand (YH-MS029A) which puts the infeed table around 42" high. I'm trying to mill some larger boards (8/4t x 6"w x 6'l). I've tried a number of things to create an infeed extension for larger boards before (using the stand's rollers, using slotted angle iron attached to the stand, attaching a plywood box with a top to the stand), but it's always come with problems -- the top can't be correctly aligned with the infeed table, it isn't sufficiently stable or flexes as the stock moves across it, etc.

Mobility and storage is important to me since I do my work in my garage and store everything away (on shelves, etc) after I'm done. I've looked at Aigner extensions, but the table is less than 1" narrow at the edge and I don't think it would support mounting the cleat. Also, for the price, it might be worth upgrading to a large jointer altogether instead (like a Ridgid JP0610). Most of the other plans I've seen mount a table extension using large angle iron to the side of the bed or larger jointers, but I don't know if my jointer's table could support the added weight without causing some sort of torsion.

I'm interested if anyone else has come up with a good infeed table extension solution for a small bench jointer without having to move to a planer sled instead?

Bruce Wrenn
12-26-2016, 9:29 PM
Many and I mean many, either Woodsmith, or ShopNotes did an article on extension for bench top jointers.