PDA

View Full Version : Question on 604/605 bodies....Frogs Interchangeable?

Stew Denton
12-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

I have gotten myself into trouble too many times by buying planes that need parts.....a significant headache that I plan not to do again (we will see how that works out.) To start with, I don't think I have ever saved a nickel, and it is FAR more trouble than it is worth. They used to say "don't buy someone else's troubles."

I am finally down to the last one that I intend to repair, at least I THINK I am, other than for a few easily obtainable parts.

This is my current problem: I have a Stanley 605 Bedrock with a broken bottom (bought cheap but not nearly cheapy enough), and the rest of the parts are good. The one I have is the flat topped cheeks type. The bottom is hopeless, but the rest of the parts are good, so I am looking for a new bottom. (I have bid on a few, but they sold for a LOT more than I thought they were worth.)

The question is: will the frog off a flat side 605 also fit the 604 flat side body. (I know the tote is different, etc., but that can be overcome if you have a few extra parts......I know a guy in that situation...extra parts that is....comes from buying planes needing parts.......)

I would rather have another #4 size plane than a #5 size, but will settle for the first non-corrugated bottom of either size that comes along, if they interchange. (Either way I will probably restore it and it will probably end up as a gift to one of my son-in-laws.)

Are the 605 and 604 flat side frogs interchangeable?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

lowell holmes
12-23-2016, 12:54 PM
I can't answer, but you might want to go to the site below:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan15.htm

Greg Wease
12-23-2016, 1:07 PM
Are the 605 and 604 flat side frogs interchangeable?

Yes. What do you have against corrugations?

Stew Denton
12-23-2016, 1:44 PM
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the answer, I thought they might because they are the same width, but did not know for sure.

Not all that much against corrugations, but just like the flat bottoms better. I have some of both and just like the flat bottoms a bit better, especially to plane a narrow edge on a piece of lumber.

Thanks again for the answer.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Bill Houghton
12-23-2016, 1:58 PM
I'm not Stew, but, from his comment, I suspect he's had the same issue I've had with corrugations: on a narrow edge, particularly, the arris (corner) can fall into one of the corrugations, and then the corrugation steers the plane. It's a bit like having a bicycle tire fall into streetcar track grooves in the pavement, or riding a motorcycle across one of those cheese-grater bridges* you find in the Midwest.
------------
*I understand the theory: snow falls through the grating rather than piling up, and ice is more likely on a bridge, with its exposed underside, than on the road approaches. But riding a mo'cycle across one of those at highway speeds is an exercise in confronting your mortality from one side of the bridge to the other.

steven c newman
12-23-2016, 2:09 PM
Never had any trouble with the grooves.....since I normally run at a slight skew anyway.

On a Bailey style........they would have to be about the same type, to switch between the two. Flat tops are more alike each other. But...a round top will not switch with a flat top.

lowell holmes
12-23-2016, 3:03 PM
I have nothing against the corrugations. but I've never found anything in their favor either. I used to have a corrugated plane.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2016, 3:25 PM
Currently there are three planes with corrugated soles in my shop. In use there hasn't been much difference found between them and a plane with a smooth sole. The #8 hasn't been used since entering my shop as it has been resting in a disassembled state since shortly after its arrival, another project on a long list.

jtk

Stew Denton
12-23-2016, 4:08 PM
Hi All,

Yes, Bill explained why I would prefer the flat bottom plane to the corrugated bottom, in the smaller sizes anyway. It's due to worry about catching a corrugation on an edge. It doesn't matter to me much on the jointer planes, but my concern is with the jacks and smoothers.

Stew

steven c newman
12-23-2016, 5:01 PM
I have two bailey No.5s.....one is a c model , the other is a smooth sole.....haven't see much of any difference..

Jeff Heath
12-23-2016, 5:37 PM
Corrugated planes are a lot less work to flatten the soles on, and you can avoid getting steered by thinner stock by skewing the plane. Cuts a little nicer, anyway.

Stuart Muncer
12-24-2016, 8:57 PM
I have both corrugated and non in all sizes bedrock and Bailey. Corrugated is easier to flatten for sure. They do get caught sometimes when you aren't paying attention. I prefer the corrugated, the just seem to glide better.