PDA

View Full Version : Nagura Stone

Michael Gabbay
10-09-2005, 7:41 PM
Ok so here's a rather dumb sharpening question...:o

I just started using a nagura stone with my Norton 8000. Are you supposed to rub the nagura stone on the waterstone? When I did that not much happened in the way of creating more slurry.

Thanks, Mike

John Miliunas
10-09-2005, 7:47 PM
Mike, thanks for bringing forth this question. I've considered one of those stones myself and will now await further comment(s)! Also, have you tried it on any of the more course stones yet?:) :cool:

Russ Massery
10-09-2005, 8:04 PM
Yes, the nagura is supposed to create a surry by softing the stone at the top. How long are you soaking the stone in water before you use the nagura stone on it? You soak it long enough that the bubbles stop rising from the stone. If not the nagura stone won't do much good.

Mike Wenzloff
10-09-2005, 8:59 PM
I don't have a Norton high grit stone, but the other water stones (Kings) and my Shaptons above 4000 grit don't need soaked.

What the nagura does is create a slurry to hasten polishing, that's about it, really. But it does it well. It is what forms the slurry. It shouldn't affect the stone itself. It is a softer stone.

Mike

Dan Forman
10-09-2005, 9:51 PM
Ihave the Norton 1 4 and 8000, and you only soak the 1000 grit stone, the others only need a splash of water. I too have been wondering about the nagura. So far, to create a slurry, I have been using a dry wall sanding screen, same thing I use to flatten them. Just a couple of strokes will raise a nice slurry. I put the screen on a piece of plate glass, and run the stone over the screen. Works much better than sandpaper.

Dan

Michael Gabbay
10-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Russ -

Since it is on an 8000 grit Norton you are only supposed to wet the surface and not soak the stone. I tried rubbing the Norton with the nagura stone and not much happened. :confused:

I guess I don't feel so dumb afterall.... :o

Mike

Tom Jones III
10-10-2005, 8:19 AM
I recently got a man-made Japanese 8000 stone. I happened to have a couple staying with me at the time and she was from Tokyo. I asked her to translate the papers that came in the box and it said to use the nagura stone when the 8000 got black and slippery. That is exactly what I have done with it and it works great.

Takeshi Uchida
10-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Nagura stone makes slurry and trim the stone surface smooth and flat.
I know two kind of nagura stone. One for natural stone and another for artificial (man-made?) stone.
I feel nagura for natural stone is too soft for artificial stone.

I rub stone with nagura like this way.

http://www.nt.sakura.ne.jp/~garakuta/temp/nagura.html

Michael Gabbay
10-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Takeshi - I'm using a natural nagura on a Norton stone. I finally wa able to get the slurry the other night. I think part of the problem was that the stone may have been too dry. I like the animation. That helps alot.Mike

Dan Racette
10-12-2005, 11:49 AM
takeshi!

That animation sums it all up. I wish there was a whole series of animations like that for many of our neanderthal skills!