PDA

View Full Version : NOT happy with HD, big Xmas surprise kaput

Kev Williams
12-23-2016, 12:44 AM
One of my wife's hobbies is cooking and baking, and for 7 years she's been suffering with a 30 year old 24" wall oven that a standard cookie sheet won't even fit into. I figured out a nice 30" oven would fit in the cabinet under our ceramic cooktop, so after doing some research, on Dec 4th I went to my local HD and ordered a nice GE convection wall oven. Now, I could've ordered it online at a dozen different places, but I chose HD for several reasons:

-I like HD. Usually.
-It could be delivered to the store so I could pick up, no spoiling the surprise with an at-home delivery.
-Promised delivery date, the 23rd- tomorrow... great! Because I can go pick it up while grabbing some spray paint or something else I need "for work".

It all worked out perfect. And then I got a wild hair and decided if I was going to help her out with her cooking, I shouldn't stop with just the oven. So I found a great deal online for a 36" GE Cafe gas cooktop, which is already here and wrapped up. Then I spend a few bucks on new baking sheets pie and cake pans, muffin pans and an assortment of new pots & pans. And to help clean up the mess, Lowes had a great deal on a Bosch dishwasher that they even had in stock, and it too is home, all wrapped up.

As of this morning, everything is working out perfect, just need to pick up the star of the show tomorrow...

As of 10 minutes ago, my HD shipping status changed and now says "January 10".

I'm so POd at HD right now I could spit nails.... http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/thumbdown.gif

Phil Mueller
12-23-2016, 7:13 AM
I certainly understand. From my perspective, there is plenty to unwrap on Christmas and install prior to the 10th...I'm sure she will be thrilled. In cases like these, we usually wrap up a picture...not the same, for sure, but better than nothing.

As a small business retail owner, I can tell you the holidays are a crap shoot with shipping. Unless HD had the item in a warehouse somewhere, when ordering from a third party supplier, they are at the complete mercy of suppliers and shipping/trucking companies. We've had everything from trucks getting stolen, weather, suppliers failing to inform of backorders, lost, sent to the wrong address, just plain poor logistics, lazy processors, you name it. It may really be out of HD's control.

Sorry for the woes, but hope you and yours have a very merry Christmas.

Karl Andersson
12-23-2016, 7:54 AM
Hi Kev,
Well, try not to let it get you down - as a woodworker this probably isn't the first time a gift hasn't been quite "ready" (like when the old varnish decides it will take 5 days to set up instead of 2 and the gift has to be seen and not touched on Christmas morning) and she's sure to see your efforts to make her happy regardless.

As Phil says, you have plenty of things to do preparing before the 10th - what I did in a similar situation was I made a humorous lifesize mock-up of the appliance (A washing machine) out of cardboard, duct tape and old knobs, put a bow on it and told my wife I was able to get a real bargain on this one instead of the one we wanted. Trust me, if you have a sense of humor, building it as quickly as possible and using junk parts from the shop will get you chuckling and she'll see your earnestness to make good on the situation.

By the way, if you haven't had a really modern dishwasher, you'll love the Bosch - we got one on sale at Lowes this summer and it is amazingly good.
be merry
Karl

Yonak Hawkins
12-23-2016, 10:38 AM
I feel your disappointment, Kev. That it took them until 2 days before Christmas to figure out they couldn't get you your oven when they promised shows bad organization on their part. However, now all the reasons you chose Home Depot are immaterial. You could cancel Home Depot and go with whomever can deliver the soonest and you may not have to load it up and carry it home.

Kev Williams
12-23-2016, 10:49 AM
I'm thinking like you guys :) -- I was thinking last night about making a cardboard 'oven' and print up the owners manual and call it good. Not the same but what choice do I have? Thought about cancelling but I've already checked local stock. The one I got is $700 more right now than when I bought it, and anything similar I can pick up today in town is well over $1000 more than I paid, so I guess we'll live with a cardboard oven for a few weeks. I have plenty to do in the meantime with plumbing gas lines for the new cooktop and swapping out dishwashers.

All part of Murphy's law around here. After emptying the bank account for new kitchen gear, I woke up this morning to no hot water http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/banghead.gif --yeah, plenty to do...

Jim Becker
12-23-2016, 10:55 AM
I'm very sure that your other-half will appreciate your gift(s) with enthusiasm, even if the 'star of the show' is slightly delayed. It does happen sometimes and apparently that great price ended up either causing a bigger demand than they anticipated or the supplier wasn't able to deliver to HD on time for other reasons.

Ken Combs
12-23-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm very sure that your other-half will appreciate your gift(s) with enthusiasm, even if the 'star of the show' is slightly delayed. It does happen sometimes and apparently that great price ended up either causing a bigger demand than they anticipated or the supplier wasn't able to deliver to HD on time for other reasons.

Red above is mine. I'll bet one of two things caused it, either HD's 'JIT' inventory system failed or, more likely, they never intended to actually stock and ship but chose instead to have a distributor or manufacturer drop ship.

I really dislike both of those practices. IMO, most people would prefer to pay a little more and actually get the product ordered when promised.

Bill McNiel
12-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Kev,
I'm with you brother, similar situation here. Ordered a new 3 speed Beach Cruiser for my lovely wife through Amazon. At the time I ordered it was supposed to be here on the 22nd. I just checked on line and it won't arrive until next Thursday but apparently the fenders are showing up today. I'm thinking "scavenger hunt" with a lot of false clues that will keep her busy searching the NW until the bike actually arrives.
Merry Xmass - Bill

Kev Williams
12-23-2016, 12:54 PM
This will be the 'big present'. It's a 9x9" box, it'll be packed inside a 12x12" box with the owners manual.
I even made the door work :)

I was going to have my boys wheel the real deal in on a hand truck, I guess they can wheel this in too. Should be fun, actually.

When you get lemons... ;)

Mark Bolton
12-23-2016, 1:19 PM
Id say the "I have a phenomenal husband" card would trump the hand but sure wouldnt stop an earfull being poured on to HD and maybe wind up with a credit or gift card.

Mike Cozad
12-23-2016, 5:23 PM
Hopefully the hot water was an easy fix so that you don't have her showering in cold water. Or are you having her heat water for you in the old oven?:D

Bert Kemp
12-23-2016, 6:11 PM
This is very cool Kev she'll love it:cool::)Hey Hon Whats in the boxVhttps://media0.giphy.com/media/xYubDXxXk5y48/200.gif#46

This will be the 'big present'. It's a 9x9" box, it'll be packed inside a 12x12" box with the owners manual.

I was going to have my boys wheel the real deal in on a hand truck, I guess they can wheel this in too. Should be fun, actually.

Phil Mueller
12-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Nice job Kev!

Jim Becker
12-24-2016, 11:36 AM

THAT is an awesome solution!!!!!!