PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi M12V Speed Control- Help

John TenEyck
12-22-2016, 9:49 PM
I bought a used Hitachi M12V router about a year ago, but never used it until recently. When I did, I found out the speed won't stay constant at any setting below max. If you set it at any lower speed it starts out OK, but then the speed surges to max. as soon as the bit hits wood and then stays at max. whether the bit stays in wood or not. Turn it off, turn it back on, repeat.

I assume the problem is the speed controller, but hoped someone here might know something more and how to fix it w/o buying a new speed controller because they cost $100+ and I don't want to put that much into it.

John

Wes Grass
12-22-2016, 10:44 PM
We use the vc in a cnc router, don't know why. I consider them disposable.

Had one that would only run at full speed after a month of use. I pulled it apart and found there's a sealed module in there, so we use it as a handheld now for some trimming work we do. The next one is still going after almost 7, but it's had the brushes replaced and it sounds horrible. There's a new one on the shelf, so maybe I'll swap it out to give everyone a New Years present.

I could maybe pull the speed control out of it for you, if it's the same model.

John TenEyck
12-23-2016, 11:03 AM
That's very kind of you. What I have is the M12V; the old green monster, like in the link below. If that's what you have, I'll be happy to pay you to ship the module to me if you are willing.

John

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hitachi-m12v-1234-router-314-15amp-electronic-variable-speed-parts-c-7927_13365_15604.html

(http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hitachi-m12v-1234-router-314-15amp-electronic-variable-speed-parts-c-7927_13365_15604.html)

John TenEyck
01-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I decided to try the HF router speed controller. To make it work I bypassed the speed controller in the Hitachi so that it runs at full speed only. I plugged it into the HF device and, what do you know, it works very well. At it's lowest speed setting it seems quite a bit faster than my Bosch electronic router runs at, but it's still low enough that I can run larger bits with it. Moreover, the speed stays fairly constant when I engage a bit into the wood. For $20 - 25% yesterday at my local HF I have a usable router now.

John