PDA

View Full Version : My Wife's Turnings

Steve Doerr
12-22-2016, 8:59 PM
These are some of my wife's turning that she has recently completed. She said that she needed to learn how to turn since she would be inheriting my equipment when I die. So, I started teaching her in the spring of 2014. Recently, she has been spending more time in the shop. These natural edge bowls are the result of her hard work. I am really pleased with the progress she has made. I told her that she need to make natural edge bowls her signature piece. The top bowl was turned from chestnut, the next two cherry burl and the last one cherry.

Frederick Skelly
12-22-2016, 9:05 PM
Very nice! Pretty cool that you share a hobby like this. (Maybe you could talk her into a bigger lathe?:D)

John K Jordan
12-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Nice work!

I highly recommend two good lathes in the shop so you can both turn at once! I do that and it's handy when a visitor comes to play or when I have some students.

I wish I could get my Lovely Bride interested. I think she has come it the shop once in the last year...

BTW, I personally have mixed feelings about "signature pieces". For me, variety is king. Of course, I don't typically make things to sell.

JKJ

Steve Doerr
12-22-2016, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys. Once she started turning she said I could get a new lathe if she could keep the "old" one. So I have an Robust AB and she has a Jet 1642.

John, by her having a signature piece, it means that she won't be competing with me for all of the other styles :-D

William C Rogers
12-23-2016, 7:48 AM
Those are beautiful. I was looking to see if one was more striking, but they are all great. I haven't done a natural edge yet but have some cherry wood to try. I'm wondering if she has her eye on the AB?

daryl moses
12-23-2016, 8:27 AM
Very nicely done! I love NE bowls.

Bert Delisle
12-23-2016, 8:53 AM
A little competition never hurt. It just keeps raising the bar, Lol.

Brian Tymchak
12-23-2016, 9:19 AM
Your wife does some very fine Work! Where did you come up with a chunk of chestnut with the bark still on?

Steve Doerr
12-23-2016, 9:55 AM
Right now she's happy with the 1642. She says she doesn't need to turn anything as big as what the AB will turn.

Steve Doerr
12-23-2016, 9:58 AM
The chestnut came from a friend that has several trees in his yard. We got it in February so we were fortunate that it has stayed on. But, unfortunately it not American Chestnut, it's either Chinese or Japanese Chestnut.