PDA

View Full Version : Adventures with a Jet 16" band saw and a Woodmaster B blade

Dave Stuve
12-22-2016, 3:05 PM
About 5 years ago I purchased a Jet jwbs-16 16" band saw because it was the biggest saw I could afford at the time. The blade it came with was awful, so I did my research and ordered 3 blades, all Lenox from Spectrum Supply: 1/4" for detail work, a 3/8" diemaster 2 for general purpose sawing, and a 1" Woodmaster B (BiMetal I believe) for resawing and ripping. I used the 1/4" and 3/8" often and really liked them, using my band saw mostly for curves and oddball cuts.

This weekend I wanted to rip some 2x4s in half and thought it would be fun to try the Woodmaster at last. It was pretty stiff, and plenty sharp, and I shed some blood in the hour that I struggled to put it on. I searched the web for clues on how to put on a problematic blade. I took the top wheel off the band saw and studied the tensioning mechanism to verify that it had bottomed out and was as loose as it could go. I compared its length to the blade that came with my band saw, and it was 1/2" shorter. Then I checked the length of all my blades, and they were all 1/2" shorter than the blade that came with my band saw. Despairing that I had purchased the wrong length blades, I went to bed.

Today was a new day, and I got the bright idea to put on leather gloves and after a 10 minute wrestling match with the Woodmaster I managed to slip it onto the wheels, adjusted the tracking, and was happily ripping 2x4s with ease a few minutes later. The Woodmaster is impressive!

What I learned and might be worth sharing:
use work gloves when handling big band saw blades
one site I visited said band saws can tolerate an inch or two of blade length difference from design spec
a Fine Woodworking video said the right tension for a blade is when a single finger can comfortably deflect the blade about 1/4"
I tried applying some Olson blade wax to the Woodmaster and thought it cut a little smoother afterwards (okay, not scientific)
I need to apply some labels to my band saw so I know which way to turn the tensioning wheel (got it wrong every time for the first 10 times or so)
bright light in the shop makes everything better - I bought an LED shop light from Costco yesterday, and put it right next to the band saw - everything is clearer now
don't give up when you're stymied in the shop - keep trying or at least sleep on it

Frederick Skelly
12-22-2016, 4:52 PM
Glad you got 'er on. Thanks for the tips!

Van Huskey
12-23-2016, 12:16 AM
I have a pair of cheap split leather gloves handing with my bandsaw blades...

As for tension on that blade, give it everything that saw can stand... I'm serious, just don't keep cranking once the spring is bottomed out. The blade needs about 25,000-27,000 psi to operate at an optimum level, maxed out my guess is your saw is good for maybe 15,000 on that blade. The blade is indeed bi-metal. The backer on that blade is .035" so it takes quite a bit of strain to make it happy.

Darcy Warner
12-23-2016, 2:03 PM
Most of my bandsaws blade length range is around a foot of difference in length from shortest it can fit to longest it can still tension.

glenn bradley
12-23-2016, 2:19 PM
I change blades enough to qualify for this little station nearby.

350010 . 350011

Gloves, flashlight, required wrenches and a stash spot for the miter gauge and fence.

John TenEyck
12-23-2016, 5:29 PM
When you wear out that 1" blade, I'd go with a 3/4" one next time. As Van said, your saw probably can't tension a 1" blade anywhere near what's needed to make it cut well. You may be satisfied, nevertheless, but you'll be even more satisfied with a 3/4" wide one.

John

Van Huskey
12-24-2016, 10:13 PM
I change blades enough to qualify for this little station nearby.

350010 . 350011

Gloves, flashlight, required wrenches and a stash spot for the miter gauge and fence.

You need more bandsaws...

Van Huskey
12-24-2016, 10:19 PM
Most of my bandsaws blade length range is around a foot of difference in length from shortest it can fit to longest it can still tension.

I know that you love machines weighed in tons not pounds and are one of the few men in the US that hears 34DD and thinks Oliver before Olivia but how are you helping the OP except to make him think "que¿".

Darcy Warner
12-25-2016, 1:21 AM
I know that you love machines weighed in tons not pounds and are one of the few men in the US that hears 34DD and thinks Oliver before Olivia but how are you helping the OP except to make him think "que¿".

That some saws have a large range for blade length? Drive me nuts having to remember an exact length.

That is a lot of band to tension on that saw.

I always use .025 band stock, .035 is too stiff and even hard to tension on a big saw. Most recommended .025 even on big saws.

Maybe that helps

glenn bradley
12-25-2016, 9:41 AM
You need more bandsaws...

And some room to stand them in ;-)

When there is so much space in the universe, why is there so little in my shop?

Van Huskey
12-25-2016, 10:53 PM
And some room to stand them in ;-)

When there is so much space in the universe, why is there so little in my shop?

I think when a person reaches 10,000 useful posts on woodworking forums they should be gifted 5,000 sqft of shop space to do with as they please. That said I would probably have about 9,997 to go given the word "useful".