PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a new Felder CF531 Pro

Ruhi Arslan
12-21-2016, 10:09 PM
It's been a while... I was contemplating to swap my Hammer J/P and PM66 saw for a combo slider and finally acted on it last Spring. Ordered the 532Pro with some what I considered suitable for my needs. Estimated delivery was "up to 12 weeks" but of course ended up nearly 20 weeks. Since I am within 100 or so miles of New Castle, DE, I opted to pick it up to save the sales tax (don't take me wrong, I am going to declare and pay it when I file my taxes after January 1st :) ).
I read as much as I could find about space requirements, shipping, receiving, uncrating, commissioning, using with so many conflicting, confusing or sometimes out right misleading information. Obtained the space requirements directly from Felder. They have an engineering drawing with all options in any configuration available, if you know how to read a technical drawing. Allowed me to make a sound decision on my choices. They gave me also advice on crate and shipping options but they were mostly not applicable or misleading, later I found out. I opted out to have the delivery in combined (J/P is already attached to the shaper/saw and slider already mounted) in one piece since I have the suitable door openings to my walkout basement shop. One thing misleading was the opening requirements. The measurement they report does NOT include the appendages (handles, mounted attachment points etc.). You have to remove them to fit through a 60" door even though reported width is less than that. I chose to rent a 16 foot truck instead of 24 or so as suggested. As big of a truck you can rent was the advice. The drop gate is not wide enough to rotate the crate on it. I hired a flatbed tow truck for $100 to move it from the box truck to my garage floor. It was a piece of cake and best spent $100. Once it is unmounted from the crate, after emptying the all the boxes stuffed around, a makeshift ramp from the hefty skid with the help of a pallet jack made it a one person job. It requires to experiment to place the jack just right to keep it nicely balanced. It required to burn some calories to push through the basement but found itself in the middle of the empty shop floor in few hours. It did not require much setting but the lack of "instructions" if you must have any to put things together can be extremely frustrating. Again, if you an read technical drawings, it is fairly easy. I took few quick reference measurements, started all the motors, etc. and called it a day.
Although I have 3-Phase supply at my house, I elected to get the 1-Phase version with 2050 slider. The way the saw brake works was nerving first till I found out how it works. :)
Slider toes out about 0.050" during the entire stroke of the slider, one end to other. The gap in between the cast iron top and slider is varying about 0.014" across the width of the cast from front to back (toeing out). When I measure the variation of toe out along the saw blade, it is 0.004". I think I can make this better. I squared the crosscut fence mounted on the slider using five-cut method with a 2x2' piece. A quick fine adjust resulted 0.0001" (yes, ten thousands) difference along the length of the cut of piece. I am not even sure if I should mess with the slider at this point.
Here and there, some quirkiness and quality issues but overall, I'd say, out of box, ready to work. I'd appreciate any comments about the meaning of slider toeing out of being 50 thousands.

James Zhu
12-21-2016, 10:41 PM
You should join the Yahoo Felder Owner Group. You can get all the answers regarding your machine.

The 50 thou toe out is too much, also sliding table .014" higher than cast iron table top is not good either. I believe your sliding table is supported by 4 bolts, so it should be much easier to adjust than the sliding table with 8 bolts underneath.

James

Dan Friedrichs
12-21-2016, 11:01 PM
What a beauty!

How/why do you have 3 phase at your home, though? (Just out of curiosity)

Ruhi Arslan
12-21-2016, 11:16 PM
What a beauty!

How/why do you have 3 phase at your home, though? (Just out of curiosity)

:)
It is rather strange but true. I had some electricians did not believe me when I was interviewing them on the phone for various work. Likewise, solar power folks. I have a 14kW system working with 3-Phase supply side. I am one of the very few left in the neighborhood with the 3-Phase. I don't know exactly why but as far as I could gather, it was mostly because to accommodate the commercial size AC compressors to serve fairly large homes around here. Mine was a 7.5 ton single unit which dimmed the lights in the neighborhood when it kicked in. Now I have 4.5 and 3.5 ton two units running on 220V single phase. I opted to keep the option to have the 3-Phase though I have nothing left running 3-Phase.

Ruhi Arslan
12-21-2016, 11:19 PM
... also sliding table .014" higher than cast iron table top...
Not height but gap.

Andy Giddings
12-22-2016, 12:41 AM
Regarding playing around with the sliding table - I would recommend using the machine for a while, see if the toe out is an issue with your work accuracy, and if it is, then adjust. You'll hear and read all sorts of stories about how easy/difficult this is. I've never needed to adjust mine and only measured it out of interest as I've had no issue with end product. Congrats on the purchase by the way

David Kumm
12-22-2016, 8:22 AM
Resetting a slider is not for the faint hearted but I've done it on every slider I've had. I try to get the slider as close to parallel as I can. I then adjust the crosscut fence so I cut dead on at 90. Cut a piece of mdf and then set the rip fence to it. Mayb leave a couple thou toe out there but no more. The height of the slider is often too high coming from Felder too. .005 if no shaper, less if one is included. To set the height you must first be sure that the cast iron table is flat. I use a Starrett master machinist level for that. If a corner of the cast is a few thou out you will go crazy trying to set the slider. Plan on a few hours one day. Don't be surprised if you think you have it only to find it isn't quite right on the second day. Just seems to happen that way. Dave

Michael Koons
12-22-2016, 12:26 PM
Grat purchase and beautiful machine.

My MM slider had .030 (~1/32") runout and I thought that was entirely unacceptable. It caused me problems when I used the crosscut table and the rip fence in tandem. BTW - When I do this, I always make sure the rip fence was set back from the blade. After about an hour of messing with it, I got it to .003" and that is much more acceptable. You still want a little runout so that you're not pushing stock into the blade. I am currently looking at upgrading my slider and the Felder is on my list. From what I saw, adjusting the Felder slider is much easier than adjusting my MM SC4 Elite. The adjustment bolts are much more accessible on the Felder.

Question for you... I will need to also get a 2500 lb slider from my garage to a walkout basement (60" door opening) when I get the new slider. How'd you do it? I've gotten a Felder AD941 (~1400 lbs) using a pallet jack and leapfrogging plywood around the house. On the small grade, I just barely raised the pallet off the ground to use it's own friction to control the speed. Not sure if you had the same distance to cover to get it from your garage to your basement but I'm always looking for better ways of doing this stuff.

Jim Becker
12-22-2016, 9:41 PM
Michael, depending on your property, you may be able to use a rental fork lift with turf tires (like the 'borg uses to deliver materials to job sites) to move the heavy beast from the garage to your walkout. No way would I attempt moving something that large "overland" with a pallet jack and with that kind of weight just getting over the edges of plywood might be a challenge. Once it's inside, a pallet jack works well. I rented one when I bought my MM slider and re-rented it when I had to move it again a year and a half ago for slight repositioning.