PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Weaving Loom

John Hart
10-09-2005, 5:11 PM
Howdy,
My kids needed to learn weaving for school so I decided to make a Loom. Didn't really know much about them so I compared a bunch of designs, large and small, then came up with sort of a combination of all of them. This this basically has a bed that holds two large spools. The spools each have a row of linoleum nails that are used to lace the string or twine or thread or whatever...then you put them in their slots and do the weaving over the open part of the bed.
This is made of cherry from some 4X4's and 6X6's that I got from the sawmill. I used nearly every tool in the shop. The lathe came in pretty handy in making the spools....I just turned a cylinder out of a 6X6 chunk, then sliced them off the right thickness. The finish is BLO and Shellac and unfortunately, I was under a severe deadline so I'm afraid I didn't do a very good job on the finish. I'll take more time on the next one.
Fun Project...Thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2005, 5:31 PM
That is absolutely awesome John. John the finish is very good for not having the time.

Jim Becker
10-09-2005, 5:42 PM
Now, that is very kewel, John! The kids are going to enjoy using it, too, I bet.

lou sansone
10-09-2005, 6:08 PM
nice work.. interesting loom.. have not seen a design like that. how do you open and close the shed? Another way to ask the question is where are the heddles or harnesses ? just wondering

lou

Vaughn McMillan
10-09-2005, 6:47 PM
Looks very nice, John. The cherry looks wonderful, and I like the little heart detail in the cross brace.

- Vaughn

Shelley Bolster
10-09-2005, 6:58 PM
That John, is no ordinary Loom - that is definitely an heirloom! I have made more "must haves" for school than I can count, from Tornado Chambers to Catapults and it seems everything in between but never have I made anything that even remotely resembles that type of craftsmanship! WOW! That is beautiful and I sure hope that if your kids chose not to continue the art of weaving, you find someone who will appreciate the workmanship you put into it and continue to use it for its intended purpose. Way to go Dad!

Jay Knoll
10-09-2005, 7:09 PM
John,

That is a fantastic design and wonderful execution. Please post some pics of the loom "in use". I see craft fair income potential here! :)

Jay

John Hart
10-09-2005, 9:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments...Tomorrow is the day that it must be used so I'll be sure to post some pics with them putting it to the test.

nice work.. interesting loom.. have not seen a design like that. how do you open and close the shed? Another way to ask the question is where are the heddles or harnesses ? just wondering...

Hi Lou...You caught me at a loss..since I know not what you are talking about. Is there something else I need here? The design is fairly basic, much like an over-exaggerated card loom with feed and take-up spools. I am completely ignorant when it comes to these things. I'll add whatever you tell me if I got it wrong or if it needs an enhancement.

Thanks again everyone

Roy Wall
10-09-2005, 10:50 PM
John,

That is some really nice craftsmanship!! Your kids are lucky to have a talented Dad!! Nice job!

Andrew Ault
10-10-2005, 1:21 AM
Very nice. And intriguing.

My aunt gave me a little swedish made loom when I was a kid. What happened to it I would love to know. That knowledge is apparently truly lost to me. But I remember using it and examining fabrics to see how they were made. And I remember the wonder of it and the beauty of the instructions - all in pictures.

Thanks for sharing it!

- Andy

Jason Tuinstra
10-10-2005, 1:49 AM
John, excellent detail. The cherry looks great on this one. Even though it's going to be used as a tool of sorts, it's nice to see so much attention put into it. Great job!

lou sansone
10-10-2005, 7:24 AM
ok I figured it out. looks like a peg loom. here is a picture of a more traditional loom with some of the features I was wondering about

lou

John Hart
10-10-2005, 7:32 AM
Last night, I did some more digging after reading your post Lou. I appreciate it very much. It seems that I've forgotten to add a crucial detail. The heddle, which is that comb-looking thing to keep the weave tight. I have an idea in my head now that oughta work out....I just have to build it tonight. Hopefully, the kids can make due until I get that done. Sheesh!!

Luckily, the bed has the right configuration to support such an addition...plus, I have plenty of cherry.;) I'll post pics after the modification. Thanks!!

lou sansone
10-10-2005, 8:35 AM
Last night, I did some more digging after reading your post Lou. I appreciate it very much. It seems that I've forgotten to add a crucial detail. The heddle, which is that comb-looking thing to keep the weave tight. I have an idea in my head now that oughta work out....I just have to build it tonight. Hopefully, the kids can make due until I get that done. Sheesh!!

Luckily, the bed has the right configuration to support such an addition...plus, I have plenty of cherry.;) I'll post pics after the modification. Thanks!!

beautifull loom, no question. glad that I sparked a little something about that heddle thing. I was wondering about it. We have a couple of very large looms from the 1700's that I would like to get running, It takes some time to get them all set up though and at this time I have too many other things going. Would like to see your kids finished product

lou

Keith Burns
10-10-2005, 9:42 AM
I know nothing about looms or weaving but I can tell you this....that is one fine looking piece. Lots of detail. I like it and would like to see photos in action as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-10-2005, 9:58 AM
Great looking loom John! I'm having a hard time determining it's overall size. What's it's overall dimensions?

John Hart
10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Great looking loom John! I'm having a hard time determining it's overall size. What's it's overall dimensions?

Oh...sorry. I guess I left that part out didn't I? Its total length is 28 inches with a width of 18. Height is 6.5"

Thanks again everyone!!

John Hart
10-11-2005, 6:54 AM
Because I forgot such an important part, I've been given an extension so I can complete that Heddle thing. I struggled for a bit on a configuration, but finally decided on a cherry vane arrangement. Since this required making 65 vanes and mounting them into a frame, I spent most of last night making a sled to ensure even spacing between the vanes.

The sled uses a piece of 1/8" plexiglass as a hold for each previous cut. This puts each vane in alignment with the nails on the spools. It took a few hours to make the sled and 15 minutes to make all the cuts.

I got all the vanes cut and finished as well so I guess tonight, I put it all together. I'm learning a lot on this project.

Bill White
10-11-2005, 3:29 PM
What will they use for a shuttle? It is a GREAT lookin' piece of workmanship.

Jim Dannels
10-11-2005, 5:23 PM
I`m not sure whether it is interesting or more tragic that what was a common fixture in most parlors, we all know little about?
Weaving is truly a lost art.
I like most of you have only seen looms in use at Craft Fairs or the State Fair. And know next to nothing about them.
There was a time back in the late 50`s when I was fairly acomplished with one of those potholder looms, and spent many winternights passing away the time.
John that is a beautiful piece!

John Hart
10-11-2005, 6:07 PM
Thanks guys..I'm having a ball with this.

Bill, I haven't made a shuttle yet. I was looking at all the different designs and there's gotta be a million of them. I've decided to make two basic kinds... One will be a sled-looking thing with an integrated spool. The other will be a simple one that you wrap your material around. I'll get the simpler one made tonight. I'm almost done with the heddle (just taking a break)
Jim...I agree. It's almost crimminal that an artform that is thousands of years old is all but lost in our culture. I admit that I know nothing of it, but I'm learning and I'm actually excited to eventually see it used. If the kids don't jump at their chance...their going to have trouble getting me out of the way!

John Hart
10-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Well...if it weren't for people like me, Murphy wouldn't have any Laws!
I got the Heddle pretty much built..but not finished. These pics show how it looks as of this moment as the epoxy is curing. I built it as a slide arrangement and installed guides into the bed. Nylon wheels will make it glide smoothly. Getting all those vanes aligned was a challenge to say the least.

John Miliunas
10-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Now how the heck did I originally miss this one?:confused: :eek: That's an awesome piece 'o work, John! You must have the patience of a saint! Great job.:) :D

John Hart
10-12-2005, 5:40 PM
I think I'm ready now!!:o I redesigned the base of the heddle to incorporate the wheels and finished this thing off. The wheels make a huge difference and the heddle moves back and forth smoothly. Also decided to make a couple of knobs out of the same cherry and decorated them with a Tiger Eye.

I think I'll load it up and we'll see how she works! Here's some pics in the mean time.

Oh...that's Rachel in her modeling debut.

Mark Stutz
10-12-2005, 8:05 PM
This is as beautiful as it is functional. Are you sure you didn't have some plans somewhere?:D ;) Please post PICS of the finished product...a nice winter scarf seems in order!

John Hart
10-12-2005, 8:41 PM
This is as beautiful as it is functional. Are you sure you didn't have some plans somewhere?:D ;) Please post PICS of the finished product...a nice winter scarf seems in order!

Thanks Mark...Nope, no plans. I did do a Cad sketch early on that I sorta followed. The Heddle over the past few days was just "make it up as I go". I suppose I ought to document it in case I'm crazy enough to try it again.:rolleyes:

Here's the original sketch

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 8:49 PM
Good grief, man! NOW I know why you're into so many different things: You never sleep! I swear that's gotta' be it!:D That's way, way cool and it seems you just have the know-how to tackle every problem/challenge which comes along. I'm duly impressed, John!:) I'm sure your kids are equally as impressed. Good job, my friend! One which will last for many, many years.:) :cool:

lou sansone
10-12-2005, 9:13 PM
well with all this talk about heddles and harnesses, I guess you see why I asked the question to start with. nice loom
lou

Peter Pedisich
10-12-2005, 9:21 PM
John,

Very interesting! Warms my heart to see something people make with their hands to make something else with their hands, and I don't mean email!:D

Thanks for sharing.

Pete

John Hart
10-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks very much everyone! Your nice comments and encouragement certainly makes this sort of thing that much more worthwhile.

John M - Sleep? Sheesh! We don't need no stinking sleep!!!:D Seriously, thanks for for your grossly exaggerated praise!:rolleyes:

Lou - I owe you a special thanks. Without your observation, I think this thing would have been a pain to use. Thank you very much.

The pics below are the girls giving it the first trial run. I found that I need to incorporate some kind of braking mechanism for the spools to keep everything tight. For now, we're just using clamps. THE HEDDLE WORKS GREAT!!!!! It packs the weave perfectly and it slides easy enough for these little girls. They really had fun.

Mark Singer
10-12-2005, 10:22 PM
John, Wonderful! Great parent and woodworker! What can I say? Guys are in bars drinking looking at women and your making a loom for your kids for school.....need I say more?

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Not sure how I missed this. Looks complicated, and looks like something that's gotta be 'right' to work properly. You 'da man!

KC

Carole Valentine
10-13-2005, 9:39 AM
Sheesh, John! Is there ANYTHING you can't do? What a wonderful project! It's sure to become a family heirloom!

Byron Trantham
10-13-2005, 9:49 AM
John, so coool! I know your kids will be the envy of all their friends. Way to go DAD!

John Hart
10-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Y'all are very kind. Thank you.
Carole - Yes...there is....I can't seem to get in the habit of wearing a seatbelt. I know you told me to.....But I...just...can't...do it! :)

Ernie Nyvall
10-13-2005, 7:45 PM
Now that is very impressive John. Do your children think you are a divine spirit?

Ernie

John Hart
10-13-2005, 7:56 PM
Now that is very impressive John. Do your children think you are a divine spirit?

Ernie

No....They think I'm an idiot. But...I kinda like 'em anyway! :D

Vaughn McMillan
10-13-2005, 7:57 PM
...I can't seem to get in the habit of wearing a seatbelt. I know you told me to.....But I...just...can't...do it! :) Sorry to go OT, but John, I met an 800 pound steer at 70 MPH once, and it convinced me seatbelts were a good thing. Final score: Vaughn 1, steer 0. Could have easily been the other way around. Seat belts are definitely a habit worth getting into. ;)

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
10-13-2005, 8:47 PM
Sorry to go OT, but John, I met an 800 pound steer at 70 MPH once, and it convinced me seatbelts were a good thing. Final score: Vaughn 1, steer 0. Could have easily been the other way around. Seat belts are definitely a habit worth getting into. ;)

- Vaughn

Yeah John...Do it for your kids!!!! And us! Some of us kinda' like havin' you around!:D :) :cool:

Tom Hamilton
10-13-2005, 8:50 PM
John, the good news is that they probably won't think you are an idiot forever, but they may be in their twenties before they come to their senses! :D

Hang in there!

TJH

Jim Becker
10-13-2005, 9:02 PM
John, that turned out wonderfully! I bet the girls will have a lot of fun and a lot of enjoyment from it. You're definitely the "model papa"!! ;)

Corey Hallagan
10-13-2005, 9:12 PM
Wow, that is really neat John. Nice work!! So you sporting a hand made sweater these days? :)

Corey

John Hart
10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Wow, that is really neat John. Nice work!! So you sporting a hand made sweater these days? :)

Corey

LOL...hah!...at the speed these girls are going, I'll be lucky to get a nose-mitten. :D (old nyquil commerical)

Alright!!...I'll try the seatbelt thing again! I don't even have one of those lame excuses like "it's uncomfortable" or anything. I just forget.

Thanks again everyone for your nice comments and concerns for my safety...:)