View Full Version : Used Dominio

kevin nee
12-21-2016, 5:38 AM
Hello, I have found a used Domino for about 70% of new. I am planing on getting a Dominio
At the Woodworking Show that comes local in January. The Dominio I am looking at is the model
Domino: DF 500 Q - Plus: 574228 My question, is this an older model that does not have the latest features? Any way that I can find out how far back the model dates? He says he just tried it once. Is 70% for this model Fair. Have they made many improvements on the Dominio since it came out. I have been on the fence since the Dominio came out. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Tom Ewell
12-21-2016, 8:19 AM
I've had mine since 06, the biggest change I'm aware of in the newer ones is the indexing pins, mine are round metal and the newer ones have a 'flat paddle' for indexing.
Any accessories are supposed to fit/adapt to all versions. There may be some additional differences I'm not aware of.

My tool number is 493795 if that helps

If you head on over to the FOG and pose the question in 'Ask Festool' you should get a pretty good answer on the differences

Sale price of used is market value, I can sell most my 'normal' tools for 50%.

I'd have to put my hands on it to check out but if it is in great shape..... 70% for a well cared for Festool (particularly the Domino) is good value IMO

You will need dust extraction for it.

Prashun Patel
12-21-2016, 8:41 AM
70% is a good price if the unit is in good shape. What cutters does it come with? Each one can costs between $20 and $50, so factor this into the value of the deal. The 'new' comes with a 5mm cutter, I believe.

I wouldn't make too big a deal about whether it's the indexing pin style or paddle style. About 75% of the time, I line mine up with the center line.

The biggest change in Domino since that model came out was that they introduced a bigger one DF700. The original works on most projects woodworkers would encounter, but the bigger one makes deeper mortises, so you can use it (assuming you trust the strength of loose tenons) on doors and benches and 'big' things.

Chris Stephenson
12-21-2016, 9:53 AM
too funny, I was eyeballing this one but decided on the XL since Seneca woodworking makes an adapter to run the smaller cutters on the XL. I'd jump on it, they sell quick at that price as i've been watching the used market for the past 6 months.

Mike Henderson
12-21-2016, 11:11 AM
If it comes with a box of dominos and the full set of cutters, it's a great deal. If not, you'll have to buy those later at full price. But the Domino is probably the most useful Festool I've encountered.

Mike

Ben Rivel
12-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Or just call Festool and ask. They'll tell you all the differences and you can get the info straight from the source. I have done just that several times and each time they were able to answer all my questions.

Bryan Lisowski
12-21-2016, 10:58 PM
If he bought it new, used it once and is selling for 70% of retail, I would be concerned that it might be stolen. There was someone mentioning a dealer in NH had some festools that were stolen.

Van Huskey
12-21-2016, 11:55 PM
If he bought it new, used it once and is selling for 70% of retail, I would be concerned that it might be stolen. There was someone mentioning a dealer in NH had some festools that were stolen.

He mentioned it was an older model so it is unlikely that it is the ones mentioned on FOG in NH. The price doesn't suggest it is stolen at all.

One thing for the OP to note is that many actually prefer the older version and an essentially new one will go quick on the open market.

Robyn Horton
12-22-2016, 7:12 AM
If you looking for one I'd get it don't wait . I just purchased a used one 2 weeks ago and its the older style with the pins and its Great . Like others have mentioned 70% of retail is good for one , the one I purchased was a little less than 70% and came with some dominos . After you get it watch some video's from half-inch shy on the domino on you tube very good videos from him .

kevin nee
12-22-2016, 8:52 AM
Thanks for the answers if it is still available I am going to look at it today. Kevin

Robyn Horton
12-23-2016, 6:23 PM
Kevin make sure you let us know if you get it .

Chris Hachet
12-25-2016, 8:29 AM
Odd, I almost never see Domino tools come up for sale used...

Matt Day
12-25-2016, 9:26 AM
Wonder why the OP hasn't posted back. He was active yesterday. I vicariously tool-buy through others.

Ben Rivel
12-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Odd, I almost never see Domino tools come up for sale used...I do in my area and bay area every once in a while.

jack duren
12-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Wonder why the OP hasn't posted back. He was active yesterday. I vicariously tool-buy through others.

Even $700 is a decision on a great deal. If he bought it, he's a playin wid it...

kevin nee
12-26-2016, 7:01 AM
The seller is not available until after Christmas to show it. There is another one for sale locally for $800 with one $23 bag of Dominios. Stay tuned.

Robyn Horton
12-26-2016, 9:37 AM
Where waiting and watching

kevin nee
12-28-2016, 5:43 AM
I bit the bullet, and purchased the pre owned Dominio. It appears in new condition and came with 4 bits & the large assortment of Dominios in their own Systainer. I paid $850. Last night I took a ride to Woodcraft and bought the Festool 36 dust extractor $725. I hope it is the game changer it is hyped up to be. I also hope the learning curve is not difficult.
NOTE: I have a $50 voucher from the Festool Pro 5 Sander deal. Their promotion sparked this purchase.
WISH ME LUCK! Kevin

Frederick Skelly
12-28-2016, 5:45 AM
Good luck! Hope you love it!

Mike Henderson
12-28-2016, 1:18 PM
I think you'll find that you discover lots of uses for the Domino. I know I did when I bought one. It really is a unique and useful tool.

Mike

Robyn Horton
12-28-2016, 4:52 PM
Glad to hear that you got it :) Do some testing first to make sure its setup correctly then Domino away

Dave Sabo
12-29-2016, 9:42 AM
The only reason Festool changed the metal indexing pins to plastic tabs is because they were in violation of Mafell patents.

http://www.toolnut.com/mafell-dd40p-duo-dowel-system-powermax.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CP3XmdfQmdECFQwXgQodT-cGXA