PDA

View Full Version : making scoops

jeff oldham
12-20-2016, 6:04 PM
well I have been trying my hand at making scoops,,but I believe my main problem is getting it in the sphere shape,,,im doing ok,,and I guess maybe a little better,,but to turn the inside of the bowl is very difficult,,and im sure it is because I don't actually have it in a sphere shape,,,i have watched you tube videos on making a jig but their scoops are more round than mine,,any suggestions on a jig for odd shape scoops,,,

Dane Riley
12-20-2016, 7:34 PM
I use a 1/2 and a 1/4 circle template the exact diameter as the diameter of your cylinder. Do not remove wood from the center of the sphere (while it is between centers). It must match your template very closely, better than 1/16 of an inch.

Bert Delisle
12-20-2016, 10:19 PM
I use a shop made wooden jaw chuck, attached some 8/4 blocks on flat jaws, then drill a recess. Cut out a groove for the handle so the bowl can be turned inside at the angle of choice. Being on flat jaws the chuck can open and close to hold a range of size scoop bowl sphere. I lined my wooden jaws with closed cell foam as well to add grip and prevent jaw marks.

John K Jordan
12-20-2016, 11:52 PM
well I have been trying my hand at making scoops,,but I believe my main problem is getting it in the sphere shape,,,im doing ok,,and I guess maybe a little better,,but to turn the inside of the bowl is very difficult,,and im sure it is because I don't actually have it in a sphere shape,,,i have watched you tube videos on making a jig but their scoops are more round than mine,,any suggestions on a jig for odd shape scoops,,,

I don't understand. You said the problem was "getting it in the sphere shape" then at the end you ask for "suggestions on a jig for odd shape scoop." This sounds like you mean you DON'T want to end up with a sphere shape but instead you want this "odd" shape, and specifically a jig to cut the odd shape? If so, can you post a picture (cut section) or diagram or describe the shape you want?

If you want a sphere shape you can use a template or a sphere jig. I have done both.

If you want a non-spherical "odd" shape you can use a template. You can make two templates: both, at first, the exact size and shape you want to end up with. Then trim a little off the working edge of one of the templates. Turn to the modified template first, then make finish cuts to the exact profile of the final template. Depending on the shape, it might be easier to work with just 1/2 the template(s) so you can test the surface from both straight into the hollow or from the middle outwards.

Cutting an internal shape by eye is difficult. What I always do is turn the desired outside profile first, then turn the inside to a consistent wall thickness and the shape will take care of itself. Actually, I rarely make the wall thickness perfectly uniform but have some variation but with a smoothly curved inside wall.

JKJ

Leo Van Der Loo
12-21-2016, 11:29 PM

What kind of scoops do you want to make Jeff ??

I made some different kinds of scoops, these here are round, maybe easier to make them round as you start with a globe that you then saw in two, if you measure how thick the half you can then hollow to a very close thickness by measuring how deep you have turned.

the handle shape depends on what you turn the piece before sawing in two.

The jig to hold is pretty simple, just a piece of wood that you hollow so that the scoop halves fit into it, just look at the pictures for this type of scoop :)

349953 349954 349957 349958

jeff oldham
12-28-2016, 6:43 PM
thank you leo,,,that is a great idea,,,im going to make me one tomorrow,,,now that is a jig that should be on you tube,,thanks ever so much!!!!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-29-2016, 1:16 PM
thank you leo,,,that is a great idea,,,im going to make me one tomorrow,,,now that is a jig that should be on you tube,,thanks ever so much!!!!

You are welcome Jeff :), there types of jigs are probably on the net, though it’s often difficult to find these things.

jeff oldham
12-29-2016, 9:57 PM
leo did you make the sphere and cut it in half to hollow it,,,,and can you tell me about the flat curve on your spoon,,,i think these are the nicest I have seen,,