PDA

View Full Version : Drilled Wells

Jerry Bruette
12-20-2016, 1:53 PM
Anyone here know anything about pitless adapters for drilled wells?

Or even a forum where I an ask questions about them?

TIA
Jerry

Randy Red Bemont
12-20-2016, 2:19 PM
I just did a quick google search of "pitless adapters for drilled wells" and tons of info came up. Try it if you haven't yet. It may answer your questions. Hope it helps.

Red

Paul F Franklin
12-20-2016, 9:29 PM
Not sure about etiquette of mentioning other forums here, but there is one that rhymes with doityourself.com.

Lee Schierer
12-20-2016, 9:52 PM
I have two wells both with pitiless adapters. What is your question.

Jerry Bruette
12-20-2016, 10:59 PM
Every winter I pull the pump up off the pitless adapter to drain the water from the well to the cabin.

Curious if there might be a valve setup where I could open a valve to drain the water instead of lifting the pump.

In the past I've had the o-ring slip out of it's groove, then it turns into a much bigger job that's a PITA.

Lee Schierer
12-21-2016, 7:41 AM
In the past I've had the o-ring slip out of it's groove, then it turns into a much bigger job that's a PITA.

I've only pulled my pump twice for repairs. I've never had a problem with the o-ring coming out. Do you relieve the pressure in the line before lifting the pump? If not this could be your problem. It is easier to pull once the pressure is gone from the water line. Since the o-ring is in the part you lift, having a spare o-ring on hand should make the job easier. Be sure to lube the o-ring before you try to slide the adapter back in.

Jerry Bruette
12-21-2016, 8:11 AM
Yup pressure is bled off, o-ring is lubed. The pitless adapter is welded onto the outside of the well casing, making it harder to put the adapter back together.

I'd just like to leave the adapter hang there doing it's job and be able to open a valve to drain the water back.

Lee Schierer
12-21-2016, 9:26 AM
You could pull your pump one more time, cut the line to the pump below the adapter, add a Tee with a side outlet and a 1/4 turn ball valve for a drain. You would have to reach down the well (maybe with an extension handle) to move the valve when you want to drain or restore pressure.

Jerry Bruette
12-21-2016, 2:01 PM
You could pull your pump one more time, cut the line to the pump below the adapter, add a Tee with a side outlet and a 1/4 turn ball valve for a drain. You would have to reach down the well (maybe with an extension handle) to move the valve when you want to drain or restore pressure.

Hadn't thought of that. Could be the solution I'm looking for.

Thanks Lee

Paul F Franklin
12-22-2016, 12:20 PM
If you go that route, I'd bridge the Tee with a stainless steel strap tightly clamped below and above the tee to avoid any chance of the tee coming undone and dropping the pump....

Tim Offutt
12-24-2016, 10:45 PM
I have a cabin that I drain in the winter. What I did was pull the submersible pump and removed the internal check on the bottom. I then added an inline check at the pressure tank which holds the water like you would hold water in a straw with your finger. To drain everything from the check down I drilled and tapped an 1/8" NPT port on the pump side of the check and installed a small ball valve. Opening the valve breaks the vacuum and the water falls back into the well.

All the water on the house side of the check drains through the valve on the pressure tank.

I have had this setup for about a dozen years and it works great.

Jerry Bruette
12-25-2016, 5:42 PM
Sounds like a nice setup Tim, unfortunately I don't have the room for extra valves by my tank.