PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting electric vs. pneumatic brad nailers

Michael Walton
12-20-2016, 11:14 AM
It seems that any discussion on electric vs. pneumatic brad nailers is >5 years old, and a lot has changed in battery technology. Are the electric brad nailers still sub-par compared to the pneumatic? I am looking for something to tack down parts during assembly, not frame up a house.

Jim Becker
12-20-2016, 11:58 AM
I don't think there are all that many of us who use the electric versions since compressors have become so ubiquitous in even small, personal shops. I have no doubt that they have improved and the primary benefit of them is "more portability" because they don't depend upon having a compressor handy. They would likely work just fine for general shop use, however. But the same can be said for the inexpensive pneumatic guns from Harbor Freight that many folks enjoy. There is more choice available with pneumatic guns, too...I appreciate that because I routinely us a 23 gage pinner, 18 gage brad gun, narrow crown stapler and a 15 gage angle finish nailer. Whatever's appropriate for a given project and they all work fine with a small portable compressor, too, if I need to do something in the house away from the shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2016, 12:04 PM
I have a 26 gallon compressor I use in the shop. With the low prices on today's smaller compressors, when I had the finish carpentry to do after our recent kitchen remodel, I bought one the pancake versions just for those little jobs I don't want to haul the heavier one around. It's been invaluable.

In my shop due to the extreme cost of replacement batteries, I really do prefer corded tools. I do have a 18V Makita drill and driver set, however.

Charles Wiggins
12-20-2016, 12:23 PM
I have the Ryobi One+ Model #P325 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-AirStrike-16-Gauge-Cordless-Straight-Nailer-Tool-Only-P325/204667878) Bought it reconditioned from CPO Outlet. It's more of a finish nailer, but depending on what material you work in it may be adequate for basic assembly. It only takes 16 gauge finish nails from 3/4" to 2-1/2". Basically all I've done with it is put up a pre-hung door and some molding. Worked great for that. I wouldn't try to lay flooring with it and it's slow compared to an air nailer since it has to cycle to rebuild pressure between each nail.

Michael Walton
12-20-2016, 12:32 PM
One thing I didn't mention in the original post was the cost of the battery powered versions. It is easy to spend $300 when instead you can get a quiet compressor and a good DeWalt version for about $200 (and then have the benefit of a small air compressor). The air-powered are also smaller, which probably outweighs the portability if it is being used for woodworking in a shop/home shop.

lowell holmes
12-20-2016, 3:24 PM
Check this link.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0011Z5ZNU/eznailguns-20

I for one would not consider it. My prejudices would prevent it. Pneumatic is the way yo go in my book.

Michael Walton
12-20-2016, 10:17 PM
Wow that thing is huge. I can get a California Air Tools 2 gallon compressor + DeWalt pneumatic for about $215, which is going to go on my wish list.

Lon Crosby
12-20-2016, 10:46 PM
JLC (Journal of Light Construction) tested 18g brad nailers in the last issue (December 2016). Their choice was the Grex gas or the Rigid battery.

Jim Dwight
12-21-2016, 9:57 PM
I have three compressors (I love the recent addition of the little 20 lb Senco) and a bunch of pneumatic nailers (15 gauge, 16 gauge, 18 gauge, 23 gauge pinner, framing nailer, 23 gauge pinner, upholstery stapler, narrow 18 gauge stapler (2), and two flooring nailers). But my favorite is my Ryobi 18 gauge brad nailer that works with the 18V batteries I have for other shop and yard tools. It drives 2 inch brads well. I used it, mainly, to put the molding in about 600 square feet of addition we had put up a couple years ago. No crown but it did the casing and base. I've since used it for some small crown. I also tried it on hickory flooring but it wouldn't hold it. I didn't have the 15 gauge at the time so I used the 16 which held noticeably better.

Long way of saying the Ryobi brad nailer is a nice unit. It's great to not have to have a compressor and hose. But if I had to replace all my pneumatics with cordless nailers, I couldn't and couldn't afford them even if they were available. I justified the little Senco compressor because it and a 15 gauge nailer were less than the Ryobi 15 gauge. I use the Ryobi brad nailer in the shop too but normally I like the pinner for temporary assembling things.

keith micinski
12-21-2016, 10:59 PM
If your going to be in a shop 100 percent of the time then there is no reason to get anything other then a pneumatic nailer. They are cheaper and honestly more reliable and my boating fine point does the best job you could ever ask for. That having been said I do renovations on homes every day, never in a shop, and I carry around my 18 gauge rigid and I really don't know how I ever lived with out it. I use it on almost every job and it's easily one of my two favorite tools.

Michael Walton
12-29-2016, 10:43 AM
My family bought me a huge honking Harbor Freight compressor for Christmas, so that will sit in the garage and I can always run an air line to the workshop for assembly. Might look into the Ryobi in a pinch.

Chuck Pickering
12-29-2016, 12:02 PM
...my boating fine point does the best job you could ever ask for.

Following this thread with interest, as I'm about to start on building some wall units and a couple of work benches for my shop and garage.
Keith, just what is a boating fine point? A brand or type of nailer? I tried Googleing it but got nautical safety lectures...
Chuck

Jim Dwight
12-29-2016, 9:25 PM
I was putting in crown molding and started retrimming a window today. I pulled out the Ryobi cordless brad gun for the crown. I sprung it 3/16 inch in 161 inches and that turned out to be a bit much for 18 gauge brads. So I had to get the Senco compressor and HF 15 gauge finish nailer out to hold it to the wall. Then I moved upstairs to the window. I still need to put a few pieces up but the Ryobi is working great. I also used the pneumatic pinner for the returns on the molding and the pneumatic narrow crown stapler to make a jig for the crown molding.

If they were available and I had the tool money, I would probably go cordless on everything. Probably because they are bulkier. But they aren't available (although there are more all the time) and I don't have the available funds to have a shop full of $200 cordless nailers. But the brad nailer is very handy and I wouldn't mind a few more.