PDA

View Full Version : Which Router Plane

Alex Gauthier
12-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Hey all,

I find myself needing a router plane. I'm looking at the LN large or the Veritas one. Am I missing something or is it odd that the LN one appears to have only one size of blade? Will I be sad if i'm stuck with just the 3/8" blade that LN offers? Veritas has a wider range of sizes and shapes. What gives?

Hilton Ralphs
12-20-2016, 11:17 AM
The handle placement is the only major difference but the Veritas is infinitely more useful in terms of blade selection and accessories. You won't regret purchasing it.

David Eisenhauer
12-20-2016, 11:30 AM
As you have seen, the large LN comes with a 3/8" blade only and you have to buy their adaptor to use smaller blades with it. They have a 1/4" blade that can be used with the adaptor, plus I believe a vee pointed blade? but can't remember which other few blades that can be used with the adaptor.

Frederick Skelly
12-20-2016, 12:09 PM
I have the LV and like it.

Jim Koepke
12-20-2016, 12:15 PM
If buying new, my money would be on the Veritas router plane. It appears to be a well thought out tool.

My router plane is an old Sargent model but mostly uses the Veritas blades.

jtk

Chris Hachet
12-20-2016, 12:37 PM
The handle placement is the only major difference but the Veritas is infinitely more useful in terms of blade selection and accessories. You won't regret purchasing it. Quoted for Truth...I have one and quite like it. Another forum member here borrowed it for awhile and was quite happy with it. Even in a shop like mine where I sue power tools frequently, it is quite useful at making final adjustments and cleaning things up.

You will not regret buying the Veritas....

Chris Hachet
12-20-2016, 12:39 PM
If buying new, my money would be on the Veritas router plane. It appears to be a well thought out tool.

My router plane is an old Sargent model but mostly uses the Veritas blades.

jtk Vintage tools are highly under rated. I just picked up over the weekend a #7 (was using a Stanly 36 and a German made wooden #8-Umia I think) and another #4 Sweetheart.

Much harder to find vintage router planes IMHO but they work really well when you do.

For a low angle Jack though I would definitely do LN or LV over a vintage #62. For most other planes, vintage planes work very well.

Alex Gauthier
12-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Indeed. I've scored a couple of vintage Stanleys and restored them with good results but the router plane options seem to have eluded me. I want to get this project going so I'm just going to grab a new tool instead. Looks like the consensus points along with my instinct towards Veritas. Thanks everyone!

Vintage tools are highly under rated. I just picked up over the weekend a #7 (was using a Stanly 36 and a German made wooden #8-Umia I think) and another #4 Sweetheart.

Much harder to find vintage router planes IMHO but they work really well when you do.

For a low angle Jack though I would definitely do LN or LV over a vintage #62. For most other planes, vintage planes work very well.

Bill McNiel
12-20-2016, 1:09 PM
Quoted for Truth...I have one and quite like it. Another forum member here borrowed it for awhile and was quite happy with it. Even in a shop like mine where I sue power tools frequently, it is quite useful at making final adjustments and cleaning things up.

You will not regret buying the Veritas....

And we wonder why we are known as a litigious society? PS-I love my Veritas.

glenn bradley
12-20-2016, 1:16 PM
Shopped around quite a bit. Chose the Veritas and am happy with it. Adjustments are easy and repeatable. The grip (handle placement) is good for me and this along with the selection of cutters was the deciding factor.

Chris Hachet
12-20-2016, 1:38 PM
And we wonder why we are know as a litigious society? PS-I love my Veritas.

If you can get blood out of a turnip.....!

Robert Engel
12-20-2016, 2:05 PM
I'm getting the LV version for Christmas. I currently have a Stanley and find I use the 1/4" blade almost exclusively.

But still, the blade selection and other accessories tipped me toward the LV.

Kevin Hampshire
12-20-2016, 8:30 PM
Alex, The router planes are an easier decision than some of the LV versus LN match ups. The Veritas offers all the performance and much more versatility.

Big brown truck dropped off a Veritas medium router that will use all of my large router plane blades.

Steve Kang
12-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Alex, The router planes are an easier decision than some of the LV versus LN match ups. The Veritas offers all the performance and much more versatility.

Big brown truck dropped off a Veritas medium router that will use all of my large router plane blades.

Hi Kevin, I've been thinking about the medium LV router plane for my portable kit (I already have the large). How much does one give up with the medium? Do you find it limiting or is it still versatile?

Kevin Hampshire
12-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Steve, Funny thing, I missed a word in that post and almost went back in to edit it but rationalized that nobody would notice.

Post should've read "just dropped off" as in the driver just left and I haven't even opened the box yet. I'd be happy to update you once I have a first impression of it.

I probably should caveat that I still may not be able to provide the best answer since I'm looking to use it on smaller scale items. I even considered getting the small or the mini router plane but took the medium sized for its blade compatibility.