PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Titebond Instant Bond Wood Adhesive?

Wade Lippman
12-19-2016, 4:24 PM
I am trying to make a wood wedding ring out of veneer. It calls for gluing with CA. I had an unused bottle of this stuff (okay, it might have been a couple years old...) and tried it. It did nothing at all. I had a very old bottle of Krazy Glue. It worked great.

So what's the story with Instant Bond? Did it go bad in the unopened bottle, or was it worthless to start with?

Lee Schierer
12-19-2016, 4:40 PM
I can't speak for your Instant Bond, but some cyanoacrylate glues need moisture to activate. There is also a spray primer you can use to instantly set up cyanoacrylate glues.

mark mcfarlane
12-19-2016, 6:04 PM
FWIW, I read somewhere (probably wikipedia) that CA glues have a 1-year shelf life unopened. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers clearly print their dates on the packaging so it could be expired before you buy it.

I though Crazy Glue is a CA glue, at least the original formulation.

Jim Becker
12-19-2016, 6:34 PM
FWIW, I read somewhere (probably wikipedia) that CA glues have a 1-year shelf life unopened. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers clearly print their dates on the packaging so it could be expired before you buy it.

Yea...I found that out the "hard way" (pardon the expression) when I took advantage of a "deal" on some very nice CA products. Even kept frozen, they went bad in about a year and a half. :rolleyes:

John Lankers
12-19-2016, 6:48 PM

The expiry date shown on the label is probably what the manufacturer guarantees. I bought a bottle of CA glue at a tradeshow in 2004, I keep it stored in my fridge and it's still good. I have no idea who made it, the label on the bottle is rather generic.
I don't use a lot of CA glue I suppose.

Tom Ewell
12-20-2016, 9:03 AM
My 'go to' is 2p 10, get the little bottles and activator.

As mentioned store in coolish area, had some in my truck and discovered it doesn't like 90° days much.

Have no idea if the stuff would work on your ring project, when used with the activator you have seconds to get it aligned, without the activator gives more time.

Thin through gel formulations.