PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw mobile base designs request, Piccys wanted please

Tom Trees
12-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Hi folks
I thought I'd warm myself up and do some welding in the garage since I cant move in the wood shop
Getting this tablesaw commissioned will be the next project to come .
Right now I'm planning to just get it on wheels, but soon after will be work making a riving knife,
A VFD instillation and cobbling some housing for it and some switchgear ...
Actually I might try to incorporate a hands free stop button too...

I've seen some folks hinged a plank of wood, hung from the table with a block attached that hits the stop button ...
It looks OK but maybe not foolproof ?

I will probably weld up some angle iron 50x50x5mm to size but I'm not gonna do anything else till I see a design
which I like .
My saw has a sliding table aswell, so I'm unsure if a caster underneath that, will be in the way or not ?

I obviously want the saw to be mobile and have a leveling function too, but it looks like the design for my bandsaw
base might not prove to be suitable .

Hope something out there exists that doesn't involve zambus casters !
Can't wait to see some clever ideas
Thanks in advance
Tom

Tom Trees
12-21-2016, 8:49 AM
Hello Creeker's
Sorry I had no camera yesterday to take the money shot ;)
I should have mentioned my internets on the blink, and I can't load any google images up.
So if any folks could suggest to me what's their favourite TS base design, it would be very much appreciated .
Also I should have mentioned that I've seen the saw-stop pump design,but that might prove too costly to make ....
Prove me wrong and I would be delighted :p
Anyways I don't think I would need that clever design, as my saw only weighs about 210kg .
I've partially attached the extension on the right side of the saw..see gaps at joint ..
Its not long, I probably wont be using it anyway due to my work and space restrictions too.
So the design I foresee will be built snugly, just for the saws cabinet ,and hopefully involve swivel casters on
all fours ...If possible .
Being safe using the saw w-sliding table, without obstructions is the main target though .
Hopefully I've made made it clearer to what I'm after now .
Thanks again folks
Tom

Brian Deakin
12-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Have a look at google images for mobile base saw table

And you may find these interesting

http://www.servicecaster.com/caster-brands/Carrymaster_Catalog/carrymaster-casters-wheels.php

not sure if this is cheapest source

regardsBrian

Tom Trees
12-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Thanks Brian
I'd never be able to afford those casters though !
I could probably buy a VFD with that money if I had it .
Its started the ball rolling though, as I'm starting to imagine those casters could be more popular than I realized .
and therefore could be the old standard for this application .

I forgot to mention that I will be making a really beefy base so as to not distort the biscuit tin frame, because if its not
leveled the sliding tables fence will drop off the end of the saw table as you pull it back towards you .
And then you would have to lift it slightly to get that angle iron fence to sit on the saw table again.

Also the adjustments for those casters look to be a pain in the .... Maybe I'm wrong about that though.
I don't think ill ever be on a truly flat surface to work on, hence the design of the bandsaw base .

Thanks for the reply
Tom

Rod Sheridan
12-21-2016, 1:09 PM
349892349893349891Hi, when I had a cabinet saw, this is the base I designed.

it has an area that a storage cabinet went in, along with providing support for the overarm guard.

There was also a hinged outfeed table.

the base was 2 X 2 X 3/16 angle..................Rod.

Tom Trees
12-21-2016, 4:22 PM
Thanks Rod, that's come cool ideas you've incorporated into your mobile base.
Is the caster brackets, which are mounted onto the outside of the frame, designed for incorporating cabinets ,
Or is it for stability ... it looks to be floating ?
Loving the hinged outfeed table :cool:, that's definitely on the cards if I don't manage to get the other saw behind it going ...
Unfortunately its only 2hp, compared to the 3hp one I'm working on, It might be a pain to program down the motor amp voltage on a VFD
Maybe its possible to allocate different motor parameter settings to a separate machine ...But I don't want to annoy you guys with changing the
topic :rolleyes:

I might just be changing my design now... but need to figure out if theirs any rocking issues like you get with a bandsaw ,
I'm thinking of maybe, making a wheel bracket fit inside the saws cabinet to the left, because of the sliding table ...
This might not prove to be the case atall :o ...
I'd still need some kind of levering mechanism to make, that wouldn't be an obstruction though.

Thanks for the feedback , now I can go out to the shed and ponder for another bit.

Tom

Rod Sheridan
12-21-2016, 4:43 PM
Hi Tom, the caster brackets are designed so that there was only 3/8" gap from the frame to the floor, and outboard provides more stability....Rod

lowell holmes
12-21-2016, 4:55 PM
Check this link.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Universal-Mobile-Base-50-345/203293655?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cG%7cBase%7cPLA%7cD25T% 7cPowerTools&gclid=CjwKEAiA7ejCBRDlp8uF6ezPnjoSJAAPED7MULrA-zFLpwk7UgYOP116kyjJPg1VYu2a3TgLelX2xRoCm5vw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I made my base with similar hardware. I have an extended table on the right side of the table.
I made the base 15 years ago. It still works.

Tom Trees
12-21-2016, 5:36 PM
Thanks Lowell
It looks like those ones 50mm casters instead of the 75mm ones I used for the bandsaw .
I was seriously considering 50mm for this project

Tom Trees
12-22-2016, 6:27 AM
Hi Tom, the caster brackets are designed so that there was only 3/8" gap from the frame to the floor, and outboard provides more stability....Rod
Thanks again Rod ...
I might do some clamping tests so, and see how much rocking I experience before welding them in place ..
It looks like a good finish on your floor ,so I'm presuming its level too .
Did you experience any slippage with those braked (guessing) 75mm casters on that smooth flat floor .

Need not worry as I likely need adjustable feet too, although braked casters possibly could be made for adjustable height ..somehow?
and take the brackets out of the equation/way .

Did you make wedges to counter the (guessing)possible hula hoop swivel caster phenomenon, or is one set of them fixed ?

Either way I think I might source/weld up huge angle iron for the brackets as you've done ,that would be a starting point for more
thoughts on adjustability
Thanks again
Tom

Tom Trees
04-04-2017, 7:16 PM
Hi again folks
I thought I'd do an update on the base I was making.
If I was to do it again I would try and make the inner axle closer to the edge if possible
I was being cautious as I didn't want the casters to hit the dust chute when retracted.
The axle being so far inward makes the casters swivel inward and it makes the saw tilt slightly off level.
Maybe with some more weight on the other side it might even things up a bit.

I can always add the fence rails and make a router table on the light end to even things out later,
but I don't have the space now to do this.
I am keen to see what folks would put in order of priority, to make use of this space.
I was originally thinking a bolt-able upright for attaching a blade guard to
as this upright would provide an ideal structure to mount the VFD to.
It's getting tight for space, so I want to make sure this is in the right spot...
Maybe I might be able to make some space for some push sticks, blades or tools.

Keen to read some other suggestions that I might have overlooked
Thanks folks
Tom

Tom Trees
04-08-2017, 9:40 PM
Another update on this base is required ...
I should have defiantly made the orientation of the lever design the other way.
Not only does the tablesaw tilt sometimes when the wheels are engaged,
But the foot lever/catch design is in the way of a mounting spot for an overarm guard.
As I was planing to mount the VFD on this upright also it makes things a lot more complicated to
be ergonomic.
I don't want to mount the upright inside of the table extension, as maybe someday I might want to have a router setup
aswell.
Just thought I'd share my experience so far357957357958
Tom

Rod Sheridan
04-10-2017, 8:23 AM
Hi, one end of the saw (left side when you're in the operators position) has fixed casters..............Rod.

Frankie Hunt
04-10-2017, 9:03 AM
An alternative is to use a wooden base and a mini pallet jack.

I have all my tools on mobile bases, however if I were to start all over I would consider making a low profile wood base for each tool
that would accommodate a mini pallet jack.

Brian Deakin
04-10-2017, 6:14 PM
It may be possible to purchase the casters for a more reasonable price I purchased 4 of the smaller 100 kg rating casters for $40 off e bay in the Uk

regards Brian