PDA

View Full Version : How can I attach a very delicate small molding?

Frederick Skelly
12-18-2016, 8:49 PM
Hi guys,
I need to attach a (no kidding) 1/8" x 1/8" quarter round molding in a corner where two 8" wide boards join. It is going to run cross grain on both boards. With 8" wide boards, wood movement is gonna happen, but I was hoping to find a clever way to attach it so it doesn't break. I was toying ideas like putting it on AFTER I finish the piece using silicone caulk because it's flexible. But that seems ... pretty far out.

Both the molding and the shelf are poplar.

Got any ideas?

Thank you!
Fred

Mike Kees
12-18-2016, 9:27 PM
Use the silicone ,it will work.

Leo Graywacz
12-18-2016, 9:36 PM
23ga pins..

Martin Wasner
12-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Micro pinner was my first thought as well

mreza Salav
12-18-2016, 10:31 PM
You can do it after finish is applied: I have applied silicone and a few 23g pins to hold it while the silicone dries.

Mike Henderson
12-18-2016, 10:56 PM
I had a similar situation some years back. I glued the front and used 23 gauge pins put in at an angle to allow movement. It's been maybe 10 years and it's held up fine.

The reason for glue in the front is so that any movement happens in the back where it's not noticed.

Mine was a bit larger than 1/8", however.

Mike

Yonak Hawkins
12-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Frederick, I believe, at only 1/8" X 1/8", a 23 ga. pin would split it, even if you have the dexterity to nail it center on. ..And silicone, epoxy or anything thick would ooze out. I would consider contact cement, applied with a very thin brush only at the very corner, and careful application, after finishing.

Frederick Skelly
12-19-2016, 6:22 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!
Like Yonak, I'm concerned that 23 gauge pin will split this molding. So lit sounds like I need to either make a wider molding and pin that, or use silicone/rubber cement. I'll sort it out.

Thanks again!
Fred

Chris Kiely
12-19-2016, 7:12 AM
Wood glue.
Silicone might be too hard to clean up?

Gregory King
12-19-2016, 8:00 AM
I'd try the geocel clear caulk. Very easy to clean up after.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2016, 6:31 PM
Some good double-sided tape should work. I have some that I use to make up temporary jigs in the shop and it can be a bear to take 'em back apart! It would hold a wimpy piece of molding like that forever, I think.

Frederick Skelly
12-19-2016, 7:10 PM
Some good double-sided tape should work. I have some that I use to make up temporary jigs in the shop and it can be a bear to take 'em back apart! It would hold a wimpy piece of molding like that forever, I think.

You know, I was toying with that idea but discarded it. Maybe I'll go ahead and try that. Thank you Chris (and everyone else who have responded!)

Chris Padilla
12-19-2016, 7:33 PM
If you can't find 'double-sided' tape...carpet tape is something else to look for.

Pat Barry
12-19-2016, 7:43 PM
You know, I was toying with that idea but discarded it. Maybe I'll go ahead and try that. Thank you Chris (and everyone else who have responded!)
Warning -- DO NOT USE the double sided tape supplied with the Dennis brand window insulator kits. On the other hand the 3M brand tape works great.