PDA

View Full Version : Really cool structure built from Ipe (I assume)

Malcolm Schweizer
12-18-2016, 2:09 PM

This new bar on Jost VanDyke, BVI is built entirely from what appears to be Ipe. Does Ipe often have a ribbon stripe figure?

Chris Padilla
12-19-2016, 6:36 PM
Looks nice. And I would agree that is is ipe! At least it looks pretty much what I had used to build an outdoor pergola thingy last summer. If you have yellow sawdust everywhere, that would cinch the deal! :)

Jeff Duncan
12-19-2016, 8:15 PM
Lookswise it could be, but could be other woods as well, no way to tell for sure from a pic.

It would be very surprising to me to build that large a structure from Ipe. Firstly b/c it's pretty darned expensive, but more importantly it's very difficult to work. Those joists and the beam would weigh a ton! I would guess much more likely something like an African mahogany or Spanish cedar than Ipe. Can look very similar in a pic, but would be easy to tell in person;)

JeffD

Alan Lightstone
12-19-2016, 8:43 PM
I was thinking it was made of sapele, but I certainly could be wrong.

Phillip Mitchell
12-19-2016, 10:43 PM
The stripes like that make me
want to guess African Mahogany. Either way, that looks like
an expensive bill for all that lumber!

John C Bush
12-19-2016, 11:07 PM
Is that a remodel of Foxy's?

Bill McNiel
12-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Mr Schweizer,
Your photos seem to follow a familiar adult beverage consumption pattern while living in paradise (1-inviting view upon entering, 2-sitting down and focusing on up close items with a downward stare and 3-on the floor looking up). Of course I could be way off as my assumption is based on second hand information having never personally experienced such a progression.

BTW- the wood looks a lot more like Sapele than Ipe to me.

Peace, love, spare change?

Darcy Warner
12-20-2016, 1:46 PM
Looks like Cumuru.