PDA

View Full Version : replacement switch for 240v bandsaw

Ben Conner
12-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I started having problems with the on/off switch on a Grizzly 1012 bandsaw. When I turn it on, it's just fine. Turning it off pops the built-in circuit breaker. That's a switch (no pun intended). I can hold the circuit breaker button in and it runs fine (did it for a few seconds only). There doesn't appear to be anything unusual in terms of load--the wheels turn with little resistance. Grizzly still has the switches for these but they are $100 and I need one this week.

Any suggestions to see if it is the switch vs something else? I have basic electrical skills and tools but don't have an amp meter.

Thanks!

--Ben

Carroll Courtney
12-18-2016, 2:42 PM
I suspect that only one leg is dropping out when you hit the off switch which puts the load on the other leg which causes it to trip.Only guessing,its kinda hard to diagnose electrical issues.What hp is the motor,maybe you can find a starter w/ stop/start push button on the auction site.---Carroll

Ben Conner
12-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Ok, this is embarrassing. Apparently these have magnetic switches and those are highly susceptible to dust. I thought I had blown it out, but didn't. After it was cleaned out, it works just fine. <blush>

Thanks for the help!

--Ben