PDA

View Full Version : Redsail M500, which Lens do I purchase

Rick D Smith
12-18-2016, 12:39 PM
A year or so ago I picked up a used as is, where is, untested Redsail M500 for a "I'll take a chance" price. When I got it home and powered it displayed the the ever so popular "system starting please wait" message on the LCD. After installing the software I realized I could pretty much control the laser from the PC, if I was careful and set my origin close to the Datum.

I had been continuing to use the laser it that way, primarily for engraving. Recently someone asked me to cut some acrylic. This didn't go so well and I could not cut .125 acrylic without making 2 -3 passes. Through experimentation and placing some tape on the acrylic I noticed the laser beam was actually burning in two places, the actual cut line you would expect and about 1/8 inch above the line. I noticed my lens has a defect or scratch, so I hoping a new lens will resolve this.

Should also add (for future google searches) I resolved the "System Starting Please wait" message by replacing the communications chip on the PAD03 interface. In my case the MAX232 was a socketed DIP IC. If the problem had been the MAX3232 IC on the MPC6515 controller, it would have been much more difficult task. This one is SMT (Surface Mount Technology) and the board appears to be conformally coated.

The laser is much nicer to operate with a working control console.

Which leads me to the question. How do I know what lens to purchase / the wavelength of the laser tube? The Lens measures 17.6 mm in diameter and the laser tube has 16-00037 etched on the glass. (Presumably a 50W laser)

Bert Kemp
12-18-2016, 1:14 PM
I would go to lightobjects and order the correct dia co2 lens. you say it measures 17.6mm and is probably 2.5" focal.10.6 wavelength

Bill George
12-18-2016, 1:22 PM
I would do a mirror alignment first and then also check to see if the lens is tight in the holder as loose lens can do the same thing.

David Somers
12-19-2016, 1:03 AM
Also....take the time to check your honeycomb, and its underlying table if there is one. It needs to be parallel to the XY axis of the laser. It is not hard to do, but it can take some time depending on your table setup. Take the time though and make sure it is really on the mark. That saves a lot of time.

Also, when doing your mirror alignment check it in each corner of the table, and in the center. Time spent now really improves your performance later.