PDA

View Full Version : OMG !!!!! I just discovered Parallel Clamps

Frederick Skelly
12-17-2016, 4:43 PM
I always thought it was nuts to buy parallel clamps. I mean, how much better than my F-Clamps could they really be to make them worth THAT much more money? It just didn't seem possible. But last Thanksgiving I bought a set of four JETs when they were $50% off. I opened the box, looked em over and put them away to use one day.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when Jim Becker posted a set of build pics on a large cabinet. He had a picture of a large glue up that looked far more simple than I'd have accomplished using the hundred or so F-clamps I've accumulated. Then there was a long thread about "What clamps should I buy?" Been thinking about both of those for 2 weeks and it was clear I've been missing something. So even though I havent used the 4four I have, I went and ordered 4 Bessey Revo Jrs last week.

So today I needed to glue up some material and I got out those JETs for the first time. No muss, no fuss, no drama, no cauls, no fidgeting with getting it flat, etc. "Oh my gosh"! Where have you been all my life, baby?" is all I have to say. I can see that - in the right application - these are what a friend of mine call "a force multiplier".

Yeah. To me, they are worth the money for the things I build. Wow! Just Wow!

Fred

Cary Falk
12-17-2016, 4:49 PM
I love all of my parallel clamps. I usually only buy when they are on sale because full price they are ridiculously expensive. Especially the Jets I was disappointed when they didn't go on sale this year.

Steve Eure
12-17-2016, 5:26 PM
I have Jorgensens and Bessy's. Love them. I made a clamp extender for my Jorgensens to double their length. They are heavy, but stay put. They are the bomb as far as I'm concerned. They do have a place in certain situations and although expensive, at times are well worth the money.

Jim Becker
12-17-2016, 7:48 PM
While parallel clamps don't absolve us from checking square, they really do help a lot with getting things spot on in that respect. And their very nature is sometimes like having a third hand during assembly. :) 'Glad you like those you now started to use!

Honestly, I need some shorter ones at this point for certain things I do that could benefit from their features, but without a big long hunk of metal hanging out just waiting to, um...injure me. :D

Matt Day
12-17-2016, 7:53 PM
I basically use all parallel clamps, except deep throat bessey f clamps (only when needed) and cheap 6" f clamps.

Welcome to parallel clamps!

Dave Lehnert
12-17-2016, 9:29 PM
Never have too many clamps.

Van Huskey
12-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the late 20th century... ;) They really are the bees knees.

Ben Rivel
12-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Oh yea, they are pretty awesome and well worth the investment. Now start saving up and build up the collection when there is another sale!

Rick Moyer
12-18-2016, 7:52 AM
Welcome to the late 20th century... ;) They really are the bees knees.
Van, you can't use "20th century" and "bees knees" in the same context! :D

Frederick Skelly
12-18-2016, 8:16 AM
Yeah, I see myself buying a dozen more of these, one or two at a time, over the next year. I was just in awe at how simple they made flat panel glue-ups.

Van - Rick's right! "Bee's knees" woulda been, what 1890's? :D:D:D

Larry Edgerton
12-18-2016, 11:23 AM
I bought 30 Besseys when they first came out, major improvement over the cast iron Jorgansens that I was using. I only break out the cast iron when I have something that requires more muscle.

Jim Becker
12-18-2016, 2:44 PM
Larry, you probably remember the threads about sales and deals for the Bessey's about that time as folks suddenly had "profound revelations" after using their first ones. I know I scarfed more and more of them as "on-sale" opportunities appeared, which is why have have so many today. (thankfully!)

Sam Murdoch
12-18-2016, 3:38 PM
There you go :). I'm happy for you Fred. I smile when I use mine too!

Sam

John Sincerbeaux
12-18-2016, 7:22 PM
I wish I shared all the love you guys have for these clamps. I bought a full set of Bessey K clamps a long time ago. I'm sure they are first generation? I have never been thrilled with the performance of these clamps. They are difficult to tighten.
I researched the prolem and realized I was far from alone in my disappointment. I believe the newer versions have larger and faceted handles that help transfer your effort to clamp pressure? For large table or workbench top glue-ups, I grab old school pipe clamps every time.

jack duren
12-18-2016, 7:56 PM
I wish I shared all the love you guys have for these clamps. I bought a full set of Bessey K clamps a long time ago. I'm sure they are first generation? I have never been thrilled with the performance of these clamps. They are difficult to tighten.
I researched the prolem and realized I was far from alone in my disappointment. I believe the newer versions have larger and faceted handles that help transfer your effort to clamp pressure? For large table or workbench top glue-ups, I grab old school pipe clamps every time.

The parallels work good on certain applications but are far from all applications. They to me are a medium pressure application. I went to buy some 50" Revo's from Home Depo the other day thinking I would use them, but they are too heavy. Not a bad price, but too heavy

Keith Weber
12-18-2016, 9:01 PM
"Bee's knees" is from the 1920's, which, is in the 20th century, so Van had it right.

glenn bradley
12-18-2016, 9:43 PM
I too bought here and there as they were on sale. I have long since forgotten the cost but the joy goes on and on.

Jim Mackell
12-19-2016, 11:06 AM

I'm with John on this. Never have been able to get the pressure I needed for a good tight joint. IMHO pipe clamps are far easier to wok with.

David Eisenhauer
12-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Not trying to start an argument, just curious. I have been clamping glued projects together since the early 80's and don't remember not having sufficient clamping pressure available regardless of which clamp I was using as long as the parts were well fitted. In other words, just how tight do you want to go when clamping? Close fit-glue squeeze out - good to go has worked for me. As it happens, I don't particularly care for pipe clamps, but do agree that they clamp just fine, are very handy for longer length clamping situations and are very cost effective as compared to other clamps. I only have a couple of the newer Bessey parallel clamps and, so far with somewhat limited use, they seem to generate sufficient pressure for my use in panel and case makeup.

Frederick Skelly
12-19-2016, 1:49 PM
Not trying to start an argument, just curious. I have been clamping glued projects together since the early 80's and don't remember not having sufficient clamping pressure available regardless of which clamp I was using as long as the parts were well fitted.

Honestly? I had the same thought as David did. Are we missing something?

jack duren
12-19-2016, 9:06 PM
I used k-body's today to glue maple to Zebra plywood for tables. Would I glue Zebra solids together using K-body's ?...No,

Different application, different clamp.....

William Fretwell
12-20-2016, 4:58 PM
Pipe clamps limited reach can be a problem. Mine only get used when I run out of parallel's.

Jim Andrew
12-21-2016, 6:55 PM
I have a bunch of Jorgensen cabinet master parallel clamps, bought over time. The newest ones have plastic handles which make it easier to get them tight. Tried wrapping some gripping material the wife picked up at Walmart on some of the wood handled clamps.

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2016, 7:54 PM
I have a bunch of Jorgensen cabinet master parallel clamps, bought over time. The newest ones have plastic handles which make it easier to get them tight. Tried wrapping some gripping material the wife picked up at Walmart on some of the wood handled clamps.

Seems like I remember some famous woodworker (Rob Cosman?) Wraps certain tool handles in the same tape that hockey players use on their sticks. I bet you could find it online, if the Wallymart stuff doesn't work out.

Jim Becker
12-21-2016, 8:44 PM
Pipe clamps limited reach can be a problem. Mine only get used when I run out of parallel's.
Interestingly, I only pull out pipe clamps when I need something really long, which is rare. But in concert with that, I'm picking up to 11 footers tomorrow or Friday from a friend who's moving to Florida...he was going to put them in the trash until I 'splained things... ;)

Larry Edgerton
12-23-2016, 7:35 AM

Yes. There are times that more power is a necessity. One common example is on large entry doors. Things happen, wood moves, and sometimes on glueup parts that dryfit just fine do not cooperate. You don't have a second chance once you start. Interior doors are generally no problem with K bodies, but on a big thick 300 pound door I want a heavier set of clamps around if needed. Besides, I like the big cranks for my old hands.

The other thing is the long thread. You are limited on the K body, where the big Jorgys have a long thread, so this means I can gently pull the tenons into the mortises without resetting the clamps. this is especially useful when doing wedged tenons.

glenn bradley
12-23-2016, 8:54 AM
They are difficult to tighten.

I'm with John on this. Never have been able to get the pressure I needed for a good tight joint.

don't remember not having sufficient clamping pressure available regardless of which clamp I was using as long as the parts were well fitted.

This has been a good thread with a lot of good conversation from differing positions held by folks based on the type of woodworking they do. This is the type of conversation that can degrade into a "Tastes Great" versus "Less Filling" sort of a situation and my hat is off to everyone for keeping the conversation lively without crossing the line.

The various statements here just demonstrate how many different woodworkers and methods there are. Certainly there are charts for recommended pressures for various species and surfaces being glued (edge, face, etc.). These charts are rough guidelines that generally don't take the type of glue being used or any form of joinery into account; if you want to simplify something you have to give up some level of complexity.

I have worked with folks who get things close enough and then use tremendous force to make things come together so they can brad nail the heck out of it. I have also worked with folks doing larger scale work where the mating surfaces are larger area than the work I do. These people also use some pretty crushing force but, have learned through experience when too much is too much and joints get starved.

I have used rubber tool handle dip for clamp handles with some success. I tend to use hockey tape now for any grips that I need a little more 'grip' on after a Canadian woodworker sent me a few rolls to try; it really stays put. I wrap the handles just like a hockey stick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_mCK7WEOuk). If I reach the point where I cannot tighten the clamp any more I am obviously doing something wrong or using the wrong clamp for the job. Think 1/4 ton pickup and 1 ton load ;).

I use everything from lightweight aluminum bar clamps to Jorgy I-beams with K-bodys and UniKlamps getting more use than almost anything else for case work. I do have pipe clamps and use them since when you need that reach or that much oomph, they are the bee's knees :D. Contrary to another experience in this thread I find K-body's mechanism a breeze to use and loath the clutch plate mechanisms. One is not better or worse, we just do things differently. I also use the heck out of little 4" Bessey might minis which have very little clamping force. This certainly doesn't make them less useful in my shop.

lee cox
12-23-2016, 9:19 AM
I am getting a good collection of short Bessey 3/4 inch pipe clamps with threads on the end so they can be extended. I like using the short pipe clamps better than the long ones. The long ones seem kind of clumsy now. But I did have to extend a couple of my pipe clamps to about 7 feet to fix a wood folding door.

Dave Haughs
12-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Never have too many clamps.

Agreed. I hope Santa brings me more.

Nick Decker
12-23-2016, 3:51 PM
Has anyone tried the Yost parallel clamps? I've never used parallel clamps before, but I've read one review that compares them favorably to Jets and Besseys.

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2016, 6:11 PM
Has anyone tried the Yost parallel clamps? I've never used parallel clamps before, but I've read one review that compares them favorably to Jets and Besseys.

Hi Nick,
I never heard of them, but they look to be close in price to the Besseys. Do they provide some new feature or advantage that the Besseys or JETs don't?

Fred

Nick Decker
12-23-2016, 6:22 PM
Fred,

I'm not aware of any new features, other than being lightweight. That could be good or bad, I guess. Like I said, I've not used either the Besseys or Jets, so no frame of reference.

One of the reviews I read was here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EVXW5N6?ref=emc_b_5_t

Those are all by people who were given clamps to test, or maybe just paid to pose. Who knows.

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2016, 7:05 PM
Hmmmm. It'll be interesting to try one of these out sometime. Thanks Nick.

Nick Decker
12-23-2016, 7:38 PM
Well, I just ordered a couple of the 24". I'll be happy to post my impressions, for what they're worth.

Bill McNiel
12-23-2016, 8:28 PM
Fred,
Not sure if this is national but I received today an email notice from my local Woodcraft offering Bessey Revos at 25% off.

Merry Xmas - Bill

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2016, 8:45 PM
Fred,
Not sure if this is national but I received today an email notice from my local Woodcraft offering Bessey Revos at 25% off.

Merry Xmas - Bill

Oooh. I'll go find out! Thanks Bill!

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2016, 8:46 PM
Well, I just ordered a couple of the 24". I'll be happy to post my impressions, for what they're worth.

Great! I'll look forward to reading your review!

Nick Decker
01-01-2017, 6:45 AM
Great! I'll look forward to reading your review!

Well, here's my quick take on the Yost clamps, though I've only used them on a couple of small projects (boxes).

First, I paid $32 each (Amazon) for the 24" clamps. They've since gone up to $40 each. Might have been an introductory come-on by Yost, I dunno, but they become less attractive at the higher price.

As I said, I haven't actually used the Besseys or Jets, but have handled both at a Woodcraft store. I like the build quality and fit/finish of the Yosts over the Besseys, especially the screw mechanism. Compared to the Yosts, the Besseys have more slop/play there. The Yosts are smooth and tight. The Jets are at least as good, maybe better than the Yosts in that regard.

Bottom line, I Iike the Yosts and can't find anything wrong with them, but at the new higher price it's more difficult to choose them over an established brand. Guess the best thing is to watch for sales, as always.

Warren Wilson
01-01-2017, 11:39 AM
As to the phrase "bee's knees," it is from the early 20th century.

"'Bee's knees' began to be used in early 20th century America. Initially, it was just a nonsense expression that denoted something that didn't have any meaningful existence - the kind of thing that a naive apprentice would be sent to the stores to ask for, like a 'sky-hook' or 'striped paint'

Now, of course, it means excellent or of the highest quality.

(From http://www.phrases.org.uk/)

Mike Chalmers
01-07-2017, 2:17 PM
I would like to thank the OP for this thread. I have been on the fence for a long time (years) about coughing up the dough for some of these parallel clamps. I have been using pipe clamps almost exclusively for almost 30 years. After reading this thread and finding Bessey Revos on sale, I bought 4 x 50" units. Used them for the first time today to glue up a 24 X 38" panel. I am overjoyed with the results. The flatness of the panel is a thing of beauty.

Now, off to buy some more.

Frederick Skelly
01-07-2017, 3:34 PM
Glad it helps Mike. I got four 18" Revo Jrs for Christmas. Haven't tried em out yet. Looking forward to it.

Are the Revos still on sale, and if so, where?

Regards,
Fred

Mike Chalmers
01-07-2017, 5:32 PM
Are the Revos still on sale, and if so, where?

Regards,
Fred

Busy bee in Canada. $59.99 CAD. $45.39 US. Free shipping.

Frederick Skelly
01-07-2017, 5:46 PM
Thanks Mike!

Andrew R Miller
01-08-2017, 2:57 AM
They are a must for endgrain cutting boards, however I hate getting the freaking glue off them I have found pipe clamps to be very very good for this.

with 4 parallel clamps or 4 pipe clamps, i can glue the boards very very nearly perfectly flat.

Mike Chalmers
01-08-2017, 5:04 AM
They are a must for endgrain cutting boards, however I hate getting the freaking glue off them I have found pipe clamps to be very very good for this. OK, so if it is a must, how can you substitute pipe clamps?

with 4 parallel clamps or 4 pipe clamps, i can glue the boards very very nearly perfectly flat. If this is the case for you (it is not for me) then you obviously have no need to spend the extra dollars on the more expensive clamps. Lucky you.
Please share your technique with pipe clamps that makes parallel clamps unnecessary. I would love to save the money.

Jim Becker
01-08-2017, 10:51 AM
They are a must for endgrain cutting boards, however I hate getting the freaking glue off them I have found pipe clamps to be very very good for this.

Acetone.... :)

Ole Anderson
01-08-2017, 2:57 PM
I pull the clamp out to just beyond the length I need then just lay a strip of masking tape on top of the bar. Catches all of the drips. Sure would like those cushy handles like on the Stanley's or new Bessy's though.

glenn bradley
01-08-2017, 4:28 PM
I pull the clamp out to just beyond the length I need then just lay a strip of masking tape on top of the bar. Catches all of the drips. Sure would like those cushy handles like on the Stanley's or new Bessy's though.

Another tape guy here. Gravity is amazing and it still works. You already know where the glue is going to drip or squeeze out. A little tape and no troubles.

Andrew R Miller
01-08-2017, 6:34 PM
OK, so if it is a must, how can you substitute pipe clamps?
If this is the case for you (it is not for me) then you obviously have no need to spend the extra dollars on the more expensive clamps. Lucky you.
Please share your technique with pipe clamps that makes parallel clamps unnecessary. I would love to save the money.

I'm no expert, I followed some you tube vidoes a while back, I was using || clamps and the one guy I was following was using pipe clamps. i asked him and he told me how to use them

piped clamps are basically || clamps they just don't have the long reach at the clamp side. (about 2 inches vs 4-5) i use the 3/4 inch pipe clamps

1st thing is it greatly depends on the glue surface if they are not 90 it is much easier for the board to slide and make it uneven witch make for more sanding

1. place board on pipe clamps
2. flip each peace 90 and
3. spread glue
4. flip each peace back to myself and line it up
5. once all are flipped tighten the 2 clamps a very little bit
6. place 2 bar clamps on top tighten a little this hold the wood from moving up and down so much and keeps it 95% flat
7. tighten the clamps, 2 at a time at the same time one on the top and one on the bottom
8. once the first 4 clamps are holding everything, fill in with other clamps wherever you may need more clamping

the clamp part starts at 1430 or so here

I havn't yet built a glue table like this but i pane to soon, for now I just use 2 clamps on the bottom, you can put the top clamp on first

check out his 3d boards amazing stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbT5kLmbN6s

Andrew R Miller
01-08-2017, 6:37 PM
Acetone.... :)

will try this thanks !!

i tried paper once it made a mess, Ill give this a try though thank you !!