PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023R Dimension request and Vega Pro Fence Use

Paul Richard
12-16-2016, 5:07 PM
Hey Everyone,

Anyone have a Vega Pro 50 fence on their 1023RLW? I bought one of them for my ancient Delta TS and it's time to upgrade the saw. I've come to really like the fence and micro adjuster, so I want to transfer it to my new TS. (I'll use the supplied ShopFox on my old saw). Has anyone done this and did you have to drill and tap? I prefer not to just because I never have. I'm planning on purchasing the 1023RLW and will use my existing shop made extension table to support the longer (6') Vega fence tubes. Thoughts anyone?

Would someone be so kind as to measure the exact dimensions of the 1023RLW top and location of the mounting holes for the fence? I tried Grizzly support and although I hear they are very good, I was underwhelmed. The guy said he had no idea of the exact dimensions and no way to measure them. Really? Anyway, I'm hoping it was just a tired rep at the end of a long week.

Thanks!

Regards,
Paul

PS - Most exciting feature of the new saw is the riving knife. I've been following that kick back thread and am a bit spooked. My saw has no guard or splitter. I'm going to try to at least make a splitter this weekend.

John TenEyck
12-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Making a splitter will be time well spent.

No clue about that Grizzly saw, but I have a Vega Pro 50 on my 1954 Unisaw. It bolted right up w/o issue. You definitely want something else holding the end of the tubes, though, and your approach of using your extension table is a good one.

FWIW, drilling cast iron is easy, almost like drilling in wood. I wouldn't hesitate to drill and tap any needed holes in the new saw to make the Vega fence fit.

John

Cary Falk
12-17-2016, 4:45 PM
Without wings attached measuring from the left, the holes are at 2" and 18". They are approximately 1-1/4" down from the top. I wouldn't worry about it. I end up shifting my fences all the time. I drill holes in the fence for a couple of reasons. Fences come and go and are easily replaced. I don't want a lot of extra holes in my saw. You don't have to tap holes. Not that it is hard to do in cast iron. Normally the wings don't have holes in them but I usually will drill a hole in it to secure it to the fence. I had a Shop fox classic fence on a Unisaw and didn't have to drill any holes to bolt it up normally. I think the holes are pretty standard.

Paul Richard
12-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Hi Carey,

THANK YOU!!! That is exactly what I was looking for!

so, are you happy with your saw?

- Paul

PS thanks again!

Paul Richard
12-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Thanks for your feedback, John!

From Carye's response below it doesn't look like I'll have to make any new holes - giddy up! :-)

Cary Falk
12-19-2016, 3:41 PM
I'm still happy with the saw after about 6 years