PDA

View Full Version : Clamping pic for Marc & Robert

Dave Anderson NH
06-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Here's a simple method of clamping to any type of bench which has an overhanging edge. Hand screw clamps are pretty useful for a bunch of purposes anyway and are part of the arsenal of any woodworker, but particularly hand tool folks. They are also great for clamping odd shapes sinces the jaws will adjust out of parallel and still get a great grip. For best results when chopping mortises or doing heavy duty stock removal get the clamps over one of the legs or as in the picture over a saw horse.

Marc Hills
06-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Thanks Dave.

This forum is terrific. It's amazing how a bit of responsive commentary and a few pictures really has helped me with a lot of things. I've done a lot of lurking on the other Neander threads here at the Creek, so don't anyone think just because I don't post on every topic doesn't mean I don't appreciate the collective wisdom here. I do and thank you everyone.

I managed to cut myself again just tonight with my aforementioned Crown marking knife. I was trying to scribe a deep line to assist on a rabbet I was making with an old wooden rabbet plane. I didn't really have a good way of holding the straight edge down on the work piece except with my hands. I was really bearing down on the knife and ....... .

It's a reflection of my family situation that I'm wearing a Clifford the Big Red Dog band-aide as I type this. Those hand screws would have been just the ticket for what I needed to do tonight.

What size hand screws do you recommend I get? I know you should get clamps in pairs. I've seen everything from 4" up to 12" or 14". I know bigger isn't always better, but the smallest sizes strike me as mere toys.

Jim Becker
06-19-2003, 9:22 AM
Dave, I'm posting just to say thank you for posting pictures and dialog about techiques like this. I think it will encourage more of us to use hand-tools in our work; even those of us who largely play with motors. Half the battle is knowing what can be done and how to do it. Thanks!

Robert Goodwin
06-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I will be bringing home a couple of hand screw clamps after work. I am getting ready to chop mortises for the workbench over the next couple of days, well after I stucco the BBQ I am building. But it is supposed to be 110 degrees this weekend and I’d rather not be out baking in the sun.

My fingers thank you for the pictures,

Rob

Dave Anderson NH
06-19-2003, 1:23 PM
The large 12" size are the ones I use the most since the jaws open up to about 8" ( I'm at work & guessing). I also have three which are about 10-11" that I made myself with a screw box and tap set from Woodcraft and a small pair about 8" which are also hand made. I would have to guess that an assortment weighted toward the larger end of available sizes would be most versatile.

Roger Nixon
06-19-2003, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by Marc Hills
It's a reflection of my family situation that I'm wearing a Clifford the Big Red Dog band-aide as I type this.

It never changes. I'm an old geezer and my last band aid was "Sponge Bob Square Pants".

Jim Becker
06-19-2003, 4:38 PM
Originally posted by Roger Nixon
It never changes. I'm an old geezer and my last band aid was "Sponge Bob Square Pants".

My wife last bought a box with bugs and frogs on them...quite realistic, and real head-turners when you walk up to the checkout at Home Depot... :o