PDA

View Full Version : How do people like their Chinese galvo fiber lasers?

Bert McMahan
12-15-2016, 3:39 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I've looked around old threads for a while but just recently decided to join.

There are a bunch of older posts with people talking about getting a Chinese galvo fiber laser, but I didn't see much in the way of follow-up (in general). I was wondering, to those of you who took the gamble on the cheap Ebay fiber lasers, how are you liking them? The pricing has plummeted for the low-end lasers recently to where some 30W units are going for around $4-5k. Others are up around $10k, and American units are more expensive still.

I can find a TON of information regarding the Chinese CO2 lasers offered on Ebay (the K40's) and there are lots of people playing around with them with varying degrees of success. I've got an 80W CO2 laser and am familiar with gantry style systems, but I'd like to expand my capabilities to include metal marking without Cermark.

Are the $4-5k units worth fooling around with, or should I ignore them completely?

Is there a good place to look for used units like this? (I checked the Classifieds here already). I find it odd that there are nearly ZERO reviews of this type of laser online, and even fewer people selling their old units on Ebay. In my experience that either means they aren't even worth reselling, or that they work well enough to get installed into production systems and they chug along indefinitely.

Thanks for any help offered!
Bert

Keith Downing
12-15-2016, 3:50 PM
Don't have any galvo related advice for you, but I can add that I think most here agree purchasing a laser off E-bay is a BAD option to choose. If you want to buy Chinese, do a little research and order directly from the manufacturer.

If you do your homework you will probably end up with a better machine, a better price, and if you're lucky someone who can actually help you with problems when they arise. In the several years I've been on this forum, I've never seen anyone say how great a laser purchase on Ebay has gone for them (good product, support, etc.)

Gary Hair
12-15-2016, 4:11 PM
I'm with Keith regarding ebay lasers. I do have two Chinese galvo fibers and am very happy with them. They are in pretty much continuous use every day and haven't had any problems doing what I need to do - mainly anodized aluminum and firearms. I bought from a Chinese company directly - G Weike - and I'll NEVER do business with them again! The first laser was ok but the second one they screwed up the build and I waited 6 or 8 weeks for them to send the correct parts and then had to pay customs/duties on the parts that should have been in the order to begin with! The machine still works fine but their customer service SUCKS! My next machine will be from Jimani, Inc. in California. They have put together a machine with Chinese parts and a quality controller with software that is 100% better than EZ-CAD, and best of all, they will support the machine better than anyone else could because they know lasers! If you want a $4k laser then don't bother with them, but if you want a laser that works and has support, then call them and pay the extra, it will be worth it!

Bert McMahan
12-15-2016, 4:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have clarified, lots of the Ebay laser sellers also have standard sales channels. Going with a company that ONLY sells through Ebay is a recipe for disaster.

My issue with going with the bigger/better unit is that I'm not running a whole business with these lasers; it's more of a hobby for me, and I have a few places that need a small amount of engraving. A few thousand would pay for itself quickly enough, but $10k would need considerably more business before it made sense- and I don't want to have a $10k laser sitting around doing nothing all day.

I guess I'm wondering, are the ~$5k Chinese galvos the "Harbor Freight" of lasers, or the "Ryobi" of lasers?

And thanks for the heads up on Jimani, I'll take a look at them. I wonder if they sell refurb machines or anything.

Kev Williams
12-15-2016, 5:29 PM
I love mine. Been having goofy-engraving issues with it, but seems it was 'loose wire' related, as it refuses to mess up since fiddling with the main scanhead plug. Triumph was quick to send me a new scanhead, I told them I don't really think it's the problem and don't want to use it if I don't need it. I asked if I could keep it for two weeks to give me more 'test time' with the machine. No problem, and I can either use it anyway or send it back, my choice. Due to all the work I've already found for it, and because it messed up, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 20 watter... For all my engraving purposes I have at least 1 backup machine, but not the fiber! That was pretty spooky having no way to engrave the 800 various things I had queued up for it.

I'm getting a lot of RFQ's lately specifying "laser engraving" at ridiculous depths, in stainless. Been considering looking into a 50 watter, but... if the 20 extra watts costs the same $32 per watt (or more) extra that the extra 10 cost to go from 20 to 30, then I may be settling for the 20. But hey, my IS7000 is almost paid for... :D

Tim Bateson
12-16-2016, 1:29 PM
In the several years I've been on this forum, I've never seen anyone say how great a laser purchase on Ebay has gone for them (good product, support, etc.)

Not a Chinese Fiber, but my eBay purchased Epilog CO2 purchased 10 years ago is still running great...Still on it's original tube too.

Keith Downing
12-16-2016, 4:49 PM
Not a Chinese Fiber, but my eBay purchased Epilog CO2 purchased 10 years ago is still running great...Still on it's original tube too.

I don't really count an Epilog purchased on ebay as an "ebay laser" since you can still contact Epilog directly with the serial number to verify things and potentially get support; even if it's not free.

But to your point, yes, I was commenting more on the ebay stores and sellers that simply resell Chinese lasers with no support. I wouldn't have a problem buying a US based laser on ebay from a reputable seller. After I did my due diligence of course.