PDA

View Full Version : Making a Step Stool -- Grain orientation in end pieces, verticle or horizontal

George Bokros
12-15-2016, 2:10 PM
Wife wants / needs a step stool, just two steps, to reach the top shelf and hanger bar in the closet organizer I just completed. Should the grain in the ends run verticle or horizontal? Not sure what is best from a structural or appearance perspective.

Thoughts??

Malcolm McLeod
12-15-2016, 2:31 PM
Vertical for strength.

George Bokros
12-15-2016, 2:42 PM
Vertical for strength.

That was my first thought, like studs in a house. Then I think about floor joists where the grain runs horizontally, hence my question.

John Lankers
12-15-2016, 2:47 PM
I would say vertical too, but thinking of stair treads - they are all over the place and in between. I don't think strength needs to be the deciding factor on this one.
Go for the best look.

Malcolm McLeod
12-15-2016, 3:00 PM
That was my first thought, like studs in a house. Then I think about floor joists where the grain runs horizontally, hence my question.

I'm sure it could be done either way (and both will probably outlast me). I'm also guessing you'll use typical 3/4" lumber in the sides, so the vertical loads are fine, no matter what the orientation. To my thinking, the worst case loading for the sides of a step stool would be left-right from user perspective (think about doing a 'hip shake' on the top step). This 'racking' puts a shear load on the short grain if the side's grain is horizontal.

What if the stool was 6' tall (assuming a board that wide was available)? Would you still consider horizontal grain? Same concept, just less leverage with your 2-step version.

And now let's sit back and see how many people think we're over-engineering this.;)

Lee Schierer
12-15-2016, 3:15 PM
Vertical because any side load could snap the horizontal grain if it isn't properly supported, resulting in the person on the step stool possibly being injured. Side loading can be created whenever a person steps up one step at a time or leans to one side or the other to reach something not directly in front of them.

Floor joists and steps have horizontal grain because all they will see is vertical loading, no side loading.

George Bokros
12-15-2016, 3:34 PM
Vertical it shall be.

Andy Giddings
12-15-2016, 3:35 PM
I'm sure it could be done either way (and both will probably outlast me). I'm also guessing you'll use typical 3/4" lumber in the sides, so the vertical loads are fine, no matter what the orientation. To my thinking, the worst case loading for the sides of a step stool would be left-right from user perspective (think about doing a 'hip shake' on the top step). This 'racking' puts a shear load on the short grain if the side's grain is horizontal.

What if the stool was 6' tall (assuming a board that wide was available)? Would you still consider horizontal grain? Same concept, just less leverage with your 2-step version.

And now let's sit back and see how many people think we're over-engineering this.;)
You're over engineering it!! :D The amount of racking that's going to take place should be minimal in a 2 step stool as the steps themselves are going to significantly brace the sides. I'm assuming that the step to side joints are going to be significant enough to withstand the racking of course and not butt joints pin nailed together

George Bokros
12-15-2016, 5:44 PM
You're over engineering it!! :D The amount of racking that's going to take place should be minimal in a 2 step stool as the steps themselves are going to significantly brace the sides. I'm assuming that the step to side joints are going to be significant enough to withstand the racking of course and not butt joints pin nailed together

I am going to put three pieces across from side to side in addition to the steps. One under the front of the lower step and one under the front and back of the top step. Also thinking about some angle blocks under the steps glued and screwed. The steps will be glued and screwed to the sides and the screws covered with plugs. Probably do the pieces under the steps the same way as the steps.

Andy Giddings
12-15-2016, 7:21 PM
George, my understanding of screws into end grain (the steps) is that its not going to be a strong connection. Taking your idea of angle blocks, why not use blocks on the inside of the side pieces to support and screw the steps in place? That way you'll have stronger joints instead of screws into end grain. You also will have a smooth outer side panel without any plugs