PDA

View Full Version : Cantek 20" planer

Tim McCarthy
12-14-2016, 8:03 PM
Hi All,

I'm considering the purchase of a 20" Cantek planer P-20HV. It's three phase and I will have to run it with a converter. It's 5 hp and I do not anticipate "hogging" it down very often, if at all. It's a fairly new machine (less than 10 years old). Any ideas on whether this will be a problem or not would be appreciated.

How much difference and of what nature will I experience with one of those little conversion "boxes" vice a rotary PC. I see them on the web (4-8 HP) for under $300. The rotary ones are twice that or more. I'm a hobby guy (retired) and not in a hurry or in "production mode".

Thanks much,

Tim

Rick Fisher
12-14-2016, 9:36 PM
I would be most interested in what type of cutterhead it has. 5hp is more than adequate for a 20" planer if your not a commercial shop. That particular machine is kinda on the edge of industrial, it would be great for hobby use.

You will probably need a 7.5hp VFD to run that machine..

Matt Day
12-15-2016, 7:53 AM
Just googled that planer - it's not the typical 4 poster. It does have a spiral head.

By "little conversion boxes" I guess you mean a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD)? I think Rick is right that you'd need a bigger VFD than the motor hp to get all 5 hp out of it. But I also think you can get a smaller sized one and it will work, but you're motor will not produce the full HP. Smarter people than I will hopefully chime in and confirm.

Tim McCarthy
12-15-2016, 5:52 PM
Matt,

It's a pretty nice planer. It has 2 speed feed rate and the bed rollers adjust easily. I've had a 15" Grizzly for over 20 years and this will be a significant upgrade! I hope others respond regards the converter as I know nothing about them other than the fact that I will need one!

Cheers!

Tim

Andrew J. Coholic
12-15-2016, 9:33 PM
I have a Cantek 20" planer, but its the "blue & tan" version with the electronic height adjustment, 7.5hp motor, variable feed and the head uses the long rectangular carbide inserts. I believe the one you are looking at shares a similar "chassis" so to speak, but has fewer options. If it does, it is a well built and heavy machine. The 5 HP version has the square head inserts similar to a Byrd. I looked at the one you are considering, but opted for the one with more features.

Ive been running mine daily in our commercial shop since early 2011. It is a very nice machine - we run quite a bit of lumber through ours in a year - many thousands of bfm - and so far its held its accuracy to within a thousandth across the 20". I regularly mill up to .25" off in a heavy pass (I know I have a few extra HP). With the segmented feed, it is easy to mill lots of pieces without chatter.

I own several Cantek machines - wide belt sander, their 16" jointer, edge bander, dovetail machine, and shaper - Ive been pretty impressed with each piece. Nothing fancy, no real frills - but solid, accurate and reliable for use in a shop on a daily basis. My experience anyhow, after 5+ years now.

Tim McCarthy
12-16-2016, 1:11 PM
Andrew,

Thanks greatly for your post! You are correct about the planer I'm looking at; no power up/down, two speeds vice variable and it has the little square inserts. "Solid, accurate and reliable"; best news I could get! Hope to pick it up 12-20.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!!

Tim