PDA

View Full Version : Jamieson LG-500 Locks Up

Greg Carmack
12-14-2016, 7:40 PM
We have had our Jamies LG-500 for about 4 years now. It has proven to have quite a few bugs. Mostly due to the cheapo chinese control and user software. We have figured out most problems on our own. There is still one chronic issue we can't figure out. When using our rotary attachment and executing a long program...something like 20-30 minutes, the laser will get almost to the end of the program and just lock up. Nothing will function on the laser. We have to shut it off and power it back up to reset it. We have even ran a program complete with no problems and then go to run another part and when it gets about 90% complete...it locks up.

Frustrating as hell!

Bill George
12-14-2016, 8:05 PM
Are you running it off a computer that uses power saving in any mode? Connected to the internet? Running a program like Norton's in the background or All of the above?

Kev Williams
12-14-2016, 8:13 PM
I'm probably out in right field, but is your machine maybe hitting its memory limit?

Matt McCoy
12-14-2016, 8:21 PM
I'm probably out in right field, but is your machine maybe hitting its memory limit?

This would be my guess too.

Scott Marquez
12-14-2016, 8:22 PM
My thoughts exactly, can you clear out all other jobs before you load this one?

Greg Carmack
12-14-2016, 8:52 PM
We only run one program at a time. The lock up will happen on a program that we ran once already and then start it again. The second run is when the lock up happens

Greg Carmack
12-14-2016, 9:01 PM
I wondered about that. Yes, we have it hooked to a desk top computer via usb cable. So you're saying the desktop is causing the laser to have a brain fart with it's suspending?

We should have better results running off a flash drive?

Are you running it off a computer that uses power saving in any mode? Connected to the internet? Running a program like Norton's in the background or All of the above?

Scott Marquez
12-14-2016, 9:28 PM
We have had our Jamies LG-500 for about 4 years now. It has proven to have quite a few bugs. Mostly due to the cheapo chinese control and user software. We have figured out most problems on our own. There is still one chronic issue we can't figure out. When using our rotary attachment and executing a long program...something like 20-30 minutes, the laser will get almost to the end of the program and just lock up. Nothing will function on the laser. We have to shut it off and power it back up to reset it. We have even ran a program complete with no problems and then go to run another part and when it gets about 90% complete...it locks up.

Frustrating as hell!
What is your laser program?
RDworks, lasercut or other??

Greg Carmack
12-14-2016, 9:36 PM
Lasercut is what we have

What is your laser program?
RDworks, lasercut or other??

Scott Marquez
12-14-2016, 9:49 PM
Lasercut is what we have
Ok, so do you (delete all) before you (download current), in the dialog box, let me know if you don't understand what I'm asking.
Scott

Bill George
12-14-2016, 9:51 PM
I wondered about that. Yes, we have it hooked to a desk top computer via usb cable. So you're saying the desktop is causing the laser to have a brain fart with it's suspending?

We should have better results running off a flash drive?

Any computer used for machine control should never have anything running in the background and always have any power saving mode disabled. But the other guys are saying your running out of machine memory, and I also think that could be a factor.

Greg Carmack
12-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Yes we do.

Ok, so do you (delete all) before you (download current), in the dialog box, let me know if you don't understand what I'm asking.
Scott

Dave Sheldrake
12-15-2016, 6:45 AM
That will be a 6515 controller, bad memory modules aren't too unusual on them but also check to make sure there are no wires near the card as it's not shielded like the later versions

Greg Carmack
12-16-2016, 9:05 PM
Update to our problem of our LG-500 locking up;

After many hours of running programs using the rotary attachment, we discovered that it is NOT too big of file or memory overload. We have our machine hooked to a desktop computer via the USB cable. The machine is self running with an on board computer. The USB cable is for file transfer and configuration. We discovered that if we run a long running program with this cable hooked to the desk top, the machine will get a blip from the desk top and cause it to lock up. The computer is not suspending or shutting down and its not even being used at the this time. Its just sitting there but it is on. If we unplug the cable, the programs run flawlessly and we can run the same program over and over with missing a beat.

So now we just use the cable to transfer files to the machine. Once there, we unplug the cable and set the origin and then run.

Matt McCoy
12-16-2016, 10:27 PM
Update to our problem of our LG-500 locking up;

After many hours of running programs using the rotary attachment, we discovered that it is NOT too big of file or memory overload. We have our machine hooked to a desktop computer via the USB cable. The machine is self running with an on board computer. The USB cable is for file transfer and configuration. We discovered that if we run a long running program with this cable hooked to the desk top, the machine will get a blip from the desk top and cause it to lock up. The computer is not suspending or shutting down and its not even being used at the this time. Its just sitting there but it is on. If we unplug the cable, the programs run flawlessly and we can run the same program over and over with missing a beat.

So now we just use the cable to transfer files to the machine. Once there, we unplug the cable and set the origin and then run.

How long is your USB cable? Is it shielded?

Jerome Stanek
12-17-2016, 8:14 AM
It sounds like the computer is searching for an update. go into your task manager and see what is running. Also in task manager check what is loading on start up. Take your computer offline and shut down any anti virus software

Greg Carmack
12-17-2016, 8:21 AM
It came with the machine. Its probably 3-4ft long. It is shielded.

How long is your USB cable? Is it shielded?

Matt McCoy
12-17-2016, 1:17 PM
It came with the machine. Its probably 3-4ft long. It is shielded.

I would try switching it out with another USB cable, maybe even a little shorter.

Kev Williams
12-17-2016, 3:23 PM
I've never liked USB in general. USB is to computer as ebay lasers are to laser engraving- it works until it doesn't. Just within arms reach I have a computer with dead USB ports, 2 dead USB hubs, 2 dead USB stick readers, and my Sony camera I take all my pics with has a dead USB port. Away from me are more dead hubs, 2 dead USB-serial cables... The GCC laser, I have to unplug and re-plug the USB cable about 3 times a day... etc etc etc...

Try an ethernet cable, or networking... :)