PDA

View Full Version : Space Bar Doesn't Work

Tom Albrecht
12-14-2016, 6:10 PM
My space bar often does not work when replying in a thread, or replying in a PM???

glenn bradley
12-14-2016, 6:14 PM
Its a Sawmill Creek feature not present on other vBulletin forums. Its like the backspace key taking you to the next line up . . . its a feature ;-)

Frederick Skelly
12-14-2016, 8:24 PM
I had the same problem about a month ago. Here's what worked for me. Maybe it will work for you.

1 Go to settings
2 Select General settings
3 Page down to a section that's called miscellaneous and look at which editor you are using. I was using the "Full WYSIWYG" editor. If you are, change to the Standard editor.
4 Save settings.
5 Post something and see if that fixed it.

My theory is that either my latest browser upgrade or perhaps an SMC software upgrade contains something that is incompatible with running SMC's WYSIWYG editor on my machine. But again, that's a theory.

Please let us know whether this works for you.

Fred

Tom Stenzel
12-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Its a Sawmill Creek feature not present on other vBulletin forums. Its like the backspace key taking you to the next line up . . . its a feature ;-)

Goodness, I thought it was just me!

Fred, I've applied your fix to my settings. Been composing my messages in a text editor then cutting/pasting the result to avoid the goofiness of the forum software. Guess I'll try this fix out.

Thanks,

Tom

Lee Schierer
12-15-2016, 8:51 AM
I had the same problem about a month ago. Here's what worked for me. Maybe it will work for you.

1 Go to settings
2 Select General settings
3 Page down to a section that's called miscellaneous and look at which editor you are using. I was using the "Full WYSIWYG" editor. If you are, change to the Standard editor.
4 Save settings.
5 Post something and see if that fixed it.

My theory is that either my latest browser upgrade or perhaps an SMC software upgrade contains something that is incompatible with running SMC's WYSIWYG editor on my machine. But again, that's a theory.

Please let us know whether this works for you.

Fred

I think the standard editor setting is the default setting as I've never changed it on my account.

Frederick Skelly
12-15-2016, 5:43 PM
I think the standard editor setting is the default setting as I've never changed it on my account.

Well, somewhere along the way mine got changed and this fixed it. YMMV:D:D:D

Nick Decker
12-15-2016, 6:25 PM
I've been seeing this, too. Seems to come and go, though. Haven't touched anything in settings.

Brett Luna
12-15-2016, 6:45 PM
I've had the same issue on another vBulletin forum I moderate. I "Go Advanced" to fix it.

Dave Cav
12-16-2016, 9:46 PM
I have noticed the same problem in replying to a thread when I quote the previous thread. My fix is to move the cursor to the immediate end of the quoted text and start typing there, and the spacebar then works. After I type the first line or so I move the cursor back to the beginning of my text and add a couple of carriage returns to move the new block of text down, and finish my response. Slightly cumbersome but it works.

Curt Harms
12-19-2016, 5:48 PM
I see this when using the Quick Reply function. If I use the Advanced function, the space bar works as advertized.

Anthony Whitesell
01-17-2017, 12:37 PM
It has been broke for me since October 2016. Anyone know what is wrong? Is it on the server side or the PC/client side? Browser issue? I only use Chrome, and never tried anything else.

Malcolm McLeod
01-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Type in a line feed, then move 'up' to the previous line and start typing. Works for me.

There is (...I think) some hidden end-of-page/doc/post control symbol that causes this. If you get past the control symbol, the space bar 'quits'. A LF forces this wee nasty away from where I type.