PDA

View Full Version : Used / Blemished Item from Amazon

George Bokros
12-14-2016, 5:56 PM
Looking at a caster set on Amazon. It is listed as used and may have some surface inperfections. It is in the original packaging though the packaging is damaged. It is at a considerable discount off list price.

Has anyone purchased items from Amazon they list as minor blemishes and had any issues with the item. Would you be hesitant to make a purchase like this?

My thinking is casters in a wood shop with blemishes, who cares.

Thanks

John M Wilson
12-14-2016, 7:07 PM
Has anyone purchased items from Amazon they list as minor blemishes and had any issues with the item. Would you be hesitant to make a purchase like this?

Yes, I have... and I have had pretty good luck, too.

I think these items are customer returned -- Amazon has a pretty generous return policy -- and most of the ones I have gotten don't even look used... as if someone took it out of the package, said "That's not what I wanted" and sent it back.

I'm fairly sure that Amazon has a few customer return depots at its bigger warehouses, and a team of people are in charge of receiving, inspecting, and repackaging these items. They tend to call every little thing a minor blemish, and often I can't figure out what they were talking about when I get the item.

Like you, I figure most of my shop stuff is going to look less-than-brand-new once I start using it, so I often check the Amazon Warehouse before I buy something, just in case they've got what I'm looking for.

I wouldn't buy a "pre-owned" toothbrush:eek:, but for shop casters, why not take a chance? If you don't like it, you can return it, too.

Lee Schierer
12-14-2016, 8:06 PM
I recently purchased a refurbished cell phone that was brand new. It has worked flawlessly so far. Amazon has pretty clear guidelines for determining the condition of used items.

Rich Riddle
12-14-2016, 9:03 PM
I purchase as many warehouse deals as possible on Amazon. Many are like new and substantially discounted.

Rich Engelhardt
12-15-2016, 12:10 AM
I've purchased damaged stuff before and it worked just fine - at least for the purpose I bought it for.

Just a thought though --- For casters, it's hard to be Great Lakes Casters. (Now Castor Depot)
IIRC, the discount code for them is GLC10.

Bob Grier
12-16-2016, 7:31 AM
In the past I have purchased damaged, refurbished, or returned merchandise including phones, power tools, computer monitors, stainless steel back splash etc. and am currently waiting delivery from Amazon of good condition hanging light for over kitchen island. It is suppose to be delivered today. You can always return if not acceptable. I have had good luck.

Prashun Patel
12-16-2016, 8:40 AM
I have bought many refurb'd and used items from Amazon. They've always been as advertised.

George Bokros
12-16-2016, 9:27 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I ordered two items from Amazon Warehouse, bad thing is they will not arrive until after the holidays. They are not gifts so that is not an issue but the other items that go along with them will arrive next week so I will have to wait until after Christmas to set up my tool stand :mad:. Not mad but unhappy.

Mike Henderson
12-16-2016, 12:45 PM
I purchase as many warehouse deals as possible on Amazon. Many are like new and substantially discounted.

I have also and have not had any problems. And Amazon is pretty good if you do have problems.

Mike

Howard Garner
12-16-2016, 2:39 PM
If your looking for castors, look at Harbor Freight if you have one.
Try to get the Furniture Dolly on sale.
4 good castors for less then the price of the individual ones at HF.
Right now a 1000 lb dolly is under $10.

Howard Garner

Brian Elfert
12-17-2016, 10:10 AM
I have had good luck with Amazon Warehouse deals. I bought two Goodyear 1/2" air hoses at a good discount and both were unused still packaged. One of the hoses had the plastic piece over one of the ends removed. My most recent purchase was a welded steel cart listed with cosmetic damage. It arrived with just a small chunk out of one of the wheels. I saved at least $100 over new.

Brian Elfert
12-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I ordered two items from Amazon Warehouse, bad thing is they will not arrive until after the holidays. They are not gifts so that is not an issue but the other items that go along with them will arrive next week so I will have to wait until after Christmas to set up my tool stand :mad:. Not mad but unhappy.

That seems like a long time to wait if you have Prime. If you don't have Prime then that is the norm. There are thousands of complaints out on the web that Amazon waits two to three days to ship non-prime orders. It seems like they intentionally delay non-prime orders to encourage shoppers to get Prime.

Nick Decker
12-17-2016, 5:36 PM
Note that sometimes Amazon lists used items that are not from their Warehouse Deals. While I've never had a problem with Warehouse Deals, if it's from somebody else, beware. No telling how much luck you'd have if you wanted to return it.

George Bokros
12-17-2016, 6:14 PM
Got the casters today but there were no nuts included. No problem since I have some that will work.

Rich Riddle
12-18-2016, 3:33 AM
Got the casters today but there were no nuts included. No problem since I have some that will work.
George, glad you had the needed hardware. A few hardware items is a good exchange for a lesser price. Some people might think there are a few nuts who frequent the Creek.

Mike Heidrick
12-18-2016, 4:53 PM
Got 96/27 kreg klamp track cheaper than the 48 set and it was only missing some 1/4-20 nuts. Thank you warehouse deals.