PDA

View Full Version : Wood Flooring Mills recomendations

Jerry Ittel
12-14-2016, 12:25 PM
So I've read threads regarding DIY hardwood flooring. Someone always seems to respond, "Just go direct to the mills that manufacture flooring. You'll be able to buy it cheaper than make it yourself". So does anyone have a recommendation on a mom/pop mill in the Ohio/IN area that would extend a good deal on quality flooring for cash?

Jim A Walters
12-17-2016, 12:46 AM
Baird Brothers in Canfield OH? They're not a mom/pop size mill but there's no middleman and they put out high quality lumber products.

Jim

Ben Abate
12-17-2016, 6:14 AM
If you are in the OHIO/Indiana area you are in luck. There are a lot of AMISH communities that mill most any species of wood for flooring. Just start asking around you'll find more AMISH sawers and millers than you thought existed There are some pretty big operations you'll be happily surprised

roger wiegand
12-17-2016, 9:33 AM
I've used Rare Earth Hardwoods out of Traverse City MI. Truck freight is cheap (a couple hundred bucks for a whole house worth of hardwood), so the distance doesn't matter too much.

Be careful of the QC at Amish mills. Many of them are oriented towards pallet wood and don't necessarily worry about sawing inappropriate logs or drying the wood carefully. I'm sure you can find good ones, but there are an unfortunate number of places where "good enough" is the attitude.

michael langman
12-17-2016, 11:43 AM
If you don't mind shipping, I would call Vermont Plank Flooring, in Brattleboro Vermont. They have a web site.

Darcy Warner
12-17-2016, 12:03 PM
I am close to being set up for that stuff, but I would recommend LL Johnsons in Charlotte, MI. They do deliver.

Scott T Smith
12-18-2016, 8:00 PM
Whomever you source it from, be sure to check the MC% before you install it, and don't install it until it has acclimated / dried down below 8% MC.