PDA

View Full Version : Corel run-time errors

Kev Williams
12-13-2016, 10:25 PM
What is this? The X4 on my win8.1 started doing this about a week ago.
I get this Every. Single. Time. I. Open. Any. File.

X4, like everything else, has always run like molasses on this worthless computer. And now this.

I get similar errors on my XP computers occasionally, but it happens when Corel has been working for several days without being shut down, and what shows up then is something like "A REQUIRED RESOURCE..." and it never even finishes the sentence- I always get a clue it's about to happen because Corel starts acting funny. Then I have to hurry and save all my open jobs before it freezes. I'm assuming THAT problem is some sort of run-out-of-memory error, although I have no idea why that is.

But this run-time error on win8 happens every time all the time regardless of shutdowns, restarts, reboots... Anyone know what causes this, or a fix?

Keith Downing
12-13-2016, 10:43 PM
I don't use Corel, but I did find this for you to try. http://www.justanswer.com/computer/3a1f8-corel-draw-x4-no-longer-opens-popup-says-runtime-error.html

Also, make sure you check your computer for malware or any potential viruses.

Ted Marshall
12-14-2016, 1:16 AM
Did you, by chance, install any other software at the time it started failing? It sounds to me that some new software overwrote the Visual Basic libraries with incompatible versions. If this is it, you may need to restore to an earlier system save point or backup.

Lee DeRaud
12-14-2016, 2:10 AM
Did you, by chance, install any other software at the time it started failing? It sounds to me that some new software overwrote the Visual Basic libraries with incompatible versions. If this is it, you may need to restore to an earlier system save point or backup.You can use this: http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to check to see exactly which libraries Corel is looking for and which ones it was unable to find.

I would also delete all macros and plugins (just move them somewhere) and see if that makes a difference. One or more of them may be looking for an older version of the VBA object model libraries.

Lee DeRaud
12-14-2016, 2:15 AM
What is this? The X4 on my win8.1 started doing this about a week ago.
I get this Every. Single. Time. I. Open. Any. File.As I said before, check for any macros/plugins you installed. They can be set to run automatically under certain conditions (e.g. at file open), which makes Bad Things rather tricky to isolate.

John Lifer
12-14-2016, 9:56 AM
Time To UpGRaDe!

At Least to Win 7 :D

Kev Williams
12-14-2016, 9:59 AM
I finally hit the 'debug' button and got this--
I had "but I never use macro's" etc all typed out, and turns out it IS a macro, I assume it's the plugin for my Triumph software. I just installed the newest version of Lasersoft not long ago..
so what happened, and how to fix?

I can uninstall lasersoft, I only use it on this computer for reference and testing, and the new version has some very bad import bugs anyway...

Kev Williams
12-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Time To UpGRaDe!

At Least to Win 7 :D

This computer is 8.1, and it's totally worthless to me. All it does is slow down the XP virtual machine!
I have a 64bit win7enterprise computer sitting on the floor next to me. To be honest, I don't much care for win7 either. But as soon as I buy an SSD that I can transfer the 3/4tb of info I've wasted my time putting on THIS drive to, it's taking taking the place of the 8.1... and if I can't make the 8.1 usable as on office computer or install XP on it, it's getting donated to the local shooting range.

My fiber is run from a 32bit win7 laptop. All it does runs is EZcad and Corel and make the laser work. But I do have an XP all loaded up and ready to go just in case. :)

This is a Corel drawing of my home computer and machine network--
Note all the XP computers, and even a win98 necessary to run Casmate and my old NH engraving software. My 2 Triumph, 2 Gravograph IS machines, and the GCC are the only machines I own capable of being run with a newer than XP computer. Win7 will run a couple of them, but the hassle isn't worth it. Also, the fiber and the GCC laser won't run on a 64bit computer, so there's that. ;)

ALL my XP's run fast, without issue, MS stays out of them, and I know what makes XP's tick. I never get registry issues any more, I run CCcleaner every so often, never has anything to do. The Panda antivirus (and Avast before it) keeps everything bad out... Since the day XP went offline, I've had exactly 3 virus attempts, all from websites. No self respecting hacker would be caught dead hacking an XP, it's the "Pong" of the computer world, and that's fine by me.

Everyone else, feel free to upgrade. Me, I'll stick to what works for me. :D

John Lifer
12-14-2016, 1:13 PM
Ha!, just kidding you, I avoided win 8 like the plague. I ended up with Win 10 on my old desktop when it upgraded for me.
Win 10 works ok, I'd have rather stayed with XP or 7......
good luck with getting rid of your error.

Nicolas Silva
12-14-2016, 1:46 PM
Don't bother asking Corel for help. There answer will be that they no longer support older versions and you have to upgrade to X8.
BTW, X8 is a piece of junk.

Chuck Pickering
12-14-2016, 2:26 PM
Can't help with your Corel problem. But, it reminds me of a head scratcher I ran into years ago. I was a computer tech at a local high school. The school had a site license for Corel, I think it was 6.1, running on most computers with XP. Machines started crashing when opening Corel. Seems that the kids were changing the computers date to several years in the future. The date change caused the crash of Corel! Took several days for me to figure that out.
I ended up having to lock the computers down using registry constraints to prevent settings changes. Those were the days...

Chuck