PDA

View Full Version : Guys and Gals, It's time to get to work, time to donate!!

Pages : [1] 2

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 7:01 AM
I've finished reading all the posts about the demise of HRO. There have been many good suggestions, many thoughtful, intellegent and creative ideas. This is no surprise, because that is how all the posts are on this forum. There is, of course, a simple solution. We all, me included, need to send some money. It's all well and good to talk about this solution and that solution. But, the bottom line is - we need to send some money. I hope I'm making this simple enough. We need to send some money. We don't really need to change ownership, or get a new server, or whatever. We need to send some money. I live in a community that is best described as a bunch of old hippies and old folkies (that's a wanna-be hippie who never quite made it). People here just simply help and do what's needed. If there is anyone in the "Creek" community that needs a little support it's HRO. We need to send some money.

It's Time to Get to Work!!

We can easily find out if this site can make it. I've just sent in a $10 donation. Everybody needs to do the same. We need to send some money. If 250 of us do that, we cover the costs for a month. (Hope I'm in the ballpark with that figure) If we don't, then I guess we don't get to keep our site. We need to send some money. I suggested something like this before, but I didn't follow through because I forgot. That, of course, is a pitiful excuse, but that's what it was. So, this time I'm going to make it my responsibility to send money again next month, but more importantly, remind you all that you should be doing it too.

When you make your donation, reply to this post so everybody will see that we are, or are not, getting the job done.

We need to send some money!!

Thanks to all those who take up this challenge. And remember, we need to send some money.

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2005, 7:14 AM
John,

Are you wiring the money? Mailing the money? PayPal'ing the money? Since I just crawled out of bed....I can't seem to find my info for HRO. Just provide a means in which this can be done and I'm sure there will be some folks that will jump in. :D

Bill Antonacchio
10-09-2005, 7:25 AM
Hi Dennis,

I think John is talking about clicking on the DONATE button up on the menu.

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 7:34 AM
Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. At the top of the page, I think all pages, you'll find a link "Donate." Click on that and you'll get a page where you can send a donation. It looks very similar to any page, such as "Amazon" has, to pay for an item. Under "Quantity" I typed 10, and the amount changed to $10. You then continue to pay by credit card. I'm sure this can be done with PayPal also, but the Donate page is convenient. For those who need to, drop a check, money order, or contents of a broken piggy bank in snail-mail, then send us a post so we know you got the job done.

Go to the Top of the Page and Click On Donate!!

Sorry, for the bold, I know it comes across as shouting. However, the point needs to be made, heard and understood.

John

John Hart
10-09-2005, 7:36 AM
I agree John....Lets just do it. I just donated $25. This shouldn't take long...and we should keep it up. Time to save the community!;)

Alan Turner
10-09-2005, 7:48 AM
I'm in for $25. I had forgotten about the "Donate" button.
Come on guys, we need to pony up!!

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 7:51 AM
Thanks John,

That's $35 down and $2,465. to go.

Let's get this job done in record time!!

We Need to Send Some Money!!

Again, sorry for the shout.

John

Ken Shoemaker
10-09-2005, 7:57 AM
I don't think it's possible for me to get more information in my tiny hobby shop that the help I've recceived here at "The Creek". Everyone at "The Creek" as taught me so much in the short time I've been here.

I just donated my $25.00 through the donate button at the top of the page.

PLEASE do the same!!!!!!!

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 7:57 AM
Thanks Alan,

$60 down, $2,440 to go!!

Let the snowball begin!!

John

John Hart
10-09-2005, 7:58 AM
I'd also like to suggest that this donation drive be given "sticky" status in General Woodworking so it stays at the top of the list

Randy Meijer
10-09-2005, 7:59 AM
Hi Dennis, I think John is talking about clicking on the DONATE button up on the menu.

Is that something new?? I never noticed that before!!

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 8:06 AM
Way to go Ken,

Well, isn't this great, you guys make me feel like a cheapstake. As a relative beginner, I've gotten more out of this site than most. So, I just upped my donation to $25.

$100 down and $2,400 to go. Thanks to all!!

John

Tim Morton
10-09-2005, 8:08 AM
Can we set up a Paypal option? Quick and easy...

John Lucas
10-09-2005, 8:15 AM
Way to go Ken,

you guys make me feel like a cheapstake.

John

John,
No one should be pressured and feel like a cheapskate. I know you were kidding but for the good of the cause, we should all feel good to donate whatever we can.
I'm in.

Steve Ash
10-09-2005, 8:17 AM
Call me stupid, or old school...but is there a address that I can physically send a money order/cashiers check to instead of online?

Ken Shoemaker
10-09-2005, 8:19 AM
John,

Notice that this is my 42nd post. I'm also "a newbie". I've found everyone here so much help I cringe at the thought of losing everyone's support and freindship. While I've never met even one creeker, I count you all as "friends". It's the lest I can do for all of us.

I hope to meet some "creekers" at the Chicago show this Friday....

Karl Laustrup
10-09-2005, 8:19 AM
I'm in. May be the best $25.00 I'll ever spend.

And we need one of the MODS' to make this a "STICKY POST". Please.

Karl

John Buzzurro
10-09-2005, 8:23 AM
I've only been using this forum for a short time, but I'd hate to see it go away. I kicked in $25 to help out.

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 8:27 AM
Tim,

I've sent PayPal to an address in the past. It's easier if the "Creek" had a PayPal account, but that would take time and I'm not sure if it can be done. In the meantime, we should try to send something quickly. I'm looking for an address now, possibly someone knows the Sawmill address so those who would like can send snail-mail or PayPal.

John,

I know, and of course I was only kidding. But, at least you corrected my spelling of "Cheapskate."

Steve,

I'm looking for an address as I type. Hopefully someone knows and will post quicker than it will take me to find it.

Thanks again to all,

John

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 8:30 AM
Karl and John,

Good show guys!!

$150 down, $2,350 to go.

John

John Hart
10-09-2005, 8:33 AM
Can we set up a Paypal option? Quick and easy...

When I paid for the Handykraft Forum a while back, Keith gave me this paypal email -- sales@hroads.net. I'm sure it is applicable.

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 8:39 AM
Good info John,

sales@hroads.net
For PayPal donations
Hope a moderator, or whoever knows, tells us if this is not right.

John

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 8:46 AM
Address for Snail-Mail donation:

Hampton Roads Online
1213H George Washington Memorial Highway
Yorktown, VA 23693

Anyone, please correct if this is wrong.

John

Sparky Paessler
10-09-2005, 9:18 AM
John, I'm in for $20.

Randy Meijer
10-09-2005, 9:23 AM
"Guys and Gals, It's time to get to work!!"

Well maybe and maybe not?? I don't want to throw a wet blanket on this party; but it seems to me that we may be getting the cart before the horse if you get my drift. I think it might be prudent to wait for a request from Keith for donations before we all go firing off checks in the mail. Certainly it is a wonderful sentiment and surely appreciated; but we may be potentially causing Keith more trouble than help. Supposing there are considerations that the general membership are not aware of and Keith has already decided that it is in the best interests of all involved to change the ownership at SMC. Under that scenario, conceivably, he would feel obligated to return all unsolicited donations and we, with the best of intent, would be doing nothing more than saddling him with the distasteful task of returning all of those donations. It does not appear to me the situation is that critical that we can't wait a day or two with our donations to confirm with Keith that he wishes to attempt a volunteer effort to raise the funds necessary to keep SMC operational under the current structure?

Having said that, I did a few calculations which may or may not be of any consequence. There are 176 pages in the membership directory with 30 members on each page which works out to 5280 ft per mile....no no...total members. In an earlier post, Keith stated that it would take $5 from each member(?) to resolve the financial problem. I have no idea whether he was talking about total members or active members or the top 1,000 members?? Let's take a worst-case figure and say he needs 5 bucks from everyone on the list. That would project to the neighborhood of $26,400 per year or $2200 per month(a hair less than what John figured)!!!! WOW !!!
Big bucks, folks.......

OK, we all know that everyone of those 5,280 "members" is not going to send money. A big chunk of that number...probably more than half....are folks who signed up, gave SMC a look for a week, posted once or twice and then never came back again. Just to get a number to work with, I arbitrarily picked folks with 10 or most posts as active members who might be likely to send some money and it turned out to be a nice round number....1500 members. Now, of that group, some are no longer with SMC and some will not be able to donate. Again in a totally arbitrary fashion(but with an eye to making the math easy) I assumed that 66% would contribute(probably a high estimate) which works out to 1000 members. From there it is easy to see that we would need $26 from each of those members....or maybe more.....to keep SMC alive and kicking for a year. That is a pretty daunting task in the current economic environment and may not be realistically attainable?? I don't know??

I want to reiterate that it is not my desire to cast a cloud over this effort. It is a commendable one in intent and spirit!! My only suggestion is that we hold off for a short time until we get directions from Keith on how he would like to proceed.:)

Steve Ash
10-09-2005, 9:24 AM
Thanks John,
$25.00 coming via snail mail from here, if it's found to be needed. (After reading Randy's post)

Gail O'Rourke
10-09-2005, 9:27 AM
I am happy to contribute now...I just hit "donate"

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2005, 9:46 AM
Check is in the mail for $25. I have gained more knowledge here than most subscriptions I get and I spend at least $25 on them. So in my books with all the wonderful people on here and what I have learned here it is well worth it.

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 9:55 AM
Randy,

I agree with your analysis entirely. However, I've come to the conclusion that we need to move now. I will gladly pay $26 a year for this site. I also understand that I may loose my just donated $25 if the site goes under. And, I will just as gladly tell Keith to keep it because there will probably be shut down expenses that I don't know about. There is a phrase "paralysis of analysis." That's why I wanted to keep it simple. So, repeat, repeat, We Need to Send Some Money. It's time to get the job done. We may have to make some adjustments, but we need to move now to find out if we have the interest to keep this going. I appreciate your thoughts. I've had similar thoughts. It's the civil discourse of this type that make this site special.

We Need to Send Some Money!

John

Dan Larson
10-09-2005, 9:56 AM
Like the other posters to this thread, I'm more than happy to financially support SMC. But I think Randy makes a very good point about holding off until a formal appeal is made for donations.

Keith, I want to thank you for generously shouldering the costs of running SMC so far. If you feel that member donations would be helpful at this time, please let us know...

Dan

Bob Noles
10-09-2005, 9:56 AM
"Guys and Gals, It's time to get to work!!"

Well maybe and maybe not?? I don't want to throw a wet blanket on this party; but it seems to me that we may be getting the cart before the horse if you get my drift. I think it might be prudent to wait for a request from Keith for donations before we all go firing off checks in the mail. Certainly it is a wonderful sentiment and surely appreciated; but we may be potentially causing Keith more trouble than help. Supposing there are considerations that the general membership are not aware of and Keith has already decided that it is in the best interests of all involved to change the ownership at SMC. Under that scenario, conceivably, he would feel obligated to return all unsolicited donations and we, with the best of intent, would be doing nothing more than saddling him with the distasteful task of returning all of those donations. It does not appear to me the situation is that critical that we can't wait a day or two with our donations to confirm with Keith that he wishes to attempt a volunteer effort to raise the funds necessary to keep SMC operational under the current structure?

Having said that, I did a few calculations which may or may not be of any consequence. There are 176 pages in the membership directory with 30 members on each page which works out to 5280 ft per mile....no no...total members. In an earlier post, Keith stated that it would take $5 from each member(?) to resolve the financial problem. I have no idea whether he was talking about total members or active members or the top 1,000 members?? Let's take a worst-case figure and say he needs 5 bucks from everyone on the list. That would project to the neighborhood of $26,400 per year or $2200 per month(a hair less than what John figured)!!!! WOW !!!
Big bucks, folks.......

OK, we all know that everyone of those 5,280 "members" is not going to send money. A big chunk of that number...probably more than half....are folks who signed up, gave SMC a look for a week, posted once or twice and then never came back again. Just to get a number to work with, I arbitrarily picked folks with 10 or most posts as active members who might be likely to send some money and it turned out to be a nice round number....1500 members. Now, of that group, some are no longer with SMC and some will not be able to donate. Again in a totally arbitrary fashion(but with an eye to making the math easy) I assumed that 66% would contribute(probably a high estimate) which works out to 1000 members. From there it is easy to see that we would need $26 from each of those members....or maybe more.....to keep SMC alive and kicking for a year. That is a pretty daunting task in the current economic environment and may not be realistically attainable?? I don't know??

I want to reiterate that it is not my desire to cast a cloud over this effort. It is a commendable one in intent and spirit!! My only suggestion is that we hold off for a short time until we get directions from Keith on how he would like to proceed.:)

Randy,

Thanks for your post as my thinking was much along this same line.

I am happy to contribute as I enjoy this forum as much as anyone here and want very much to see a continuation, but we need to think long term and not just buying a few days. And as you said, we need to await Keith's input and wishes. There is one more thing I would like to inject being a Public Accountant and that is the income tax consequences from these "donations". This could cause an income tax liability that would have to be paid by Keith and Jackie and these deductions are not tax deductable to the giver, not that it matters in my case as I would be more than willing to forego that aspect as would most everyone here.

Let's just slow down and finish thinking this thru with our leadership before we jump and make mistakes.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, just rather be cautious and not make a mess for someone else to have to clean up. Intentions are good from all here and many want to help, including myself, but advise caution in how we approach this. Let's respect the house we are visiting and wait for the hosts to speak.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2005, 9:58 AM
Okay folks, I just hit the donate button. And I will be glad to do it again every other month.

I used to frequent a users group site. It was an unmoderated site and a couple of individuals there "ran the roost". If you were a newby or said something that these two decided was ignorant, you got flamed. I found it very difficult to learn anything of significant value from the members there. I suspect a lot of people read posts but were afraid to contribute fearing the inevitable reprisals.It's easy to be harsh when you're not using your real name.

Keith, Jackie, Aaron, others and the moderators here have developed a site where people are treated civily whether beginners or pros and where the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask; a site where everybody is treated kindly and encouraged to contribute or ask. I can't begin to imagine what it takes in dollars and time to maintain this site but I xxxxx sure am willing to help maintain the dollar side of it.

I am awed by the photos of different members work and it gives me ideas for future projects. While I'm still in the process of finishing my new shop (my wife says it a retirement project....I won't retire for 4 more years) the ideas I got here caused some major changes in my initial design. Those ideas alone were well worth the cost of a "membership" here.

I also am impressed by the "human" side of the people here. It's more than a internet site it's an internet family. Keith, Jackie, Budlite Ken, Dennis, John M, Mark Singer, Jim B., and others have made it so....and it is......I shudder to think we could lose this and am more than willing to donate to continue this great site.......

Let's go......Pony up!

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 9:59 AM
I donated $50.00. If you are a pro shop dig a little deeper. It's a tax deduction also!

Richard

Peter Pedisich
10-09-2005, 10:03 AM
I just hit the donate button and then I saw Randy's and Bob's posts, even if it's not the right way I'll consider it a donation for what I've gotten from SMC so far.

Pete

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Sparky, Steve, Bernie,

Thanks for contributing.

$220 down, $2,280 to go.

Thanks to the others who have donated, but not posted the amount.

John

Jack Hogoboom
10-09-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm in for $100. I have no where else to go if this site closes.... :(

Keith, if you need more, please let me know. This place is a life line for me.

Jack

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Richard and Jack,

Way to go and that's the spirit.

$370 down, and $2,170 to go.

John

Again, those whose have sent donations but not posted the amount, thanks.

John Hart
10-09-2005, 10:21 AM
I had another thought after reading Randy's insightful caution....Keith is looking to relocate the server operations to another company in order to keep SMC going. Donations at this time will surely help in that effort as well.

Jack Wood
10-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Just sent my $10 in!!!!:D

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Bob an Dan,

I understand your hesitation, and it probably is the prudent thing to do. However, I believe the wait is over. I did that the last time and I forgot. So, for me, I need to take some action. Those of you that would rather wait, I understand, and you've probably given more than I in the past. Some of us need to take some action now because we feel it's needed. Sometimes we just need to take action, or no action gets taken. That may be what led up to the current crisis. This is by far the best site I've been involved with, and without the money, the problem won't go away. We can discuss how best to save the site, but no matter which way we save, money must be sent. I could be wrong, but I think this site is full of folks that just didn't know the extent of the problem and feel they need to take action now also. The worst case scenario is the site closes and I'm out $25. No, the worst case is the site closes and I lose sleep because I didn't contribute.

John

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks Jack,

$380 down, $2,120 to go.

John

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks John, keep beating the drum!

Richard

Tim Morton
10-09-2005, 10:32 AM
I have donated several times in the past and have no problems doign so again...and again....but i do am thinking along the lines of what Randy said.

Keith.....what can we do to help this time?

Jack Wood
10-09-2005, 10:34 AM
In regard to loosing your donation if things go south anyway, well having been the webmaster for a little bitty site compared to this I know that Keith has put in more than he's got out these last few years. So he can keep my $10 and have my thanks for all he's done for me in woodworking by making this site what it is, FANTASTIC!:D

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Richard,

Thanks for the encouragement. I've always been told that I march to the beat of a different drummer. So, I've found my drum and I'm beatin' away.

Remeber a bit ago when Paul Cresti, hope that name's correct, quit the forum. I don't know Paul, hadn't read many of his posts, and he certainly is in a different (read higher) league than I. That being said, when he said he was leaving, I felt a loss. When he came back, I felt relieved. That's the kind of a community this is and that's worth an immediate donation right now.

I've been working on my shop for a year now. I want the "Creek" to be around when I'm done so I can show it off.

John

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Tim,

As I've said in other posts, I understand there may be some problems, some "unintended consequenses" in donating now. However, if we get the job done now, Keith will have more options. As a person that was essentially paid for making decisions in my career, I know sometimes it's the most difficult thing to do. So, I think we can help Keith by making our own individual decisions and donate now. It's time.

John

John Shuk
10-09-2005, 10:49 AM
I have donated several times in the past and have no problems doign so again...and again....but i do am thinking along the lines of what Randy said.

Keith.....what can we do to help this time?
I'm all over trying to help too. I think it best to find out what The Outtens want or need. The problem is that keeping something like this going requires infrastructure. A T circuit is expensive. What I suspect is really needed is a place where there is some extra bandwidth available for the server to hang out. Now try to find a "woodworking" friendly business to meet that need. Now also try to find a business who is willing to donate bandwidth and keep their hands off of the forums for their own profit. There are alot of pieces to the equation. HRO just happened to be the business where SMC resided as a constructive way to use bandwidth. It looks like HRO is going away and that is why SMC is in danger. We can't unfortunately sustain HRO with our donations. I think we need to wait and see what The Outtens come up with and ask for us to help with. And answer the call when needed.

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2005, 10:49 AM
First and foremost I would like to thank Keith and Jackie for all they have done in making this a pleasant experience for me and a great learning place with lots of wonderful caring people. I wish them all the best in whatever they do. Also a big thanks to the moderators.

I agree with Peter. Even if Keith and Jackie decide not to continue to run it, I will consider it a donation. The donation is small compared to what I have gained on this site. As Ken said it is more like a family than just a forum. I have made a lot of new friends here, have gained a wealth of knowledge and all the moderators have kept it running smoothly and made everyone feel welcome. You can ask whatever you want here. There is no dumb question. I used to teach electronics and I always told my students as my grandfather always told me, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

I like Ken also was on another users group site. The very first question I posted I was asked how dumb was I and it continued on with every answer I got. That was my last question there. I am very new to the serious side of woodworking. I want to be the best I can be with the equipment and shop I have. Since classes out in this country are far and few between this to me is the next best place to learn.

I love seeing the pictures posted of projects being done and hoping someday I can make some nice projects. I too will be retiring in about 4 yrs. I am setting up my shop and tools. I have gotten many great ideas and from the knowledge on here have made some of what I consider good and informed choices on the tools I have purchased. I have gotten a load of ideas on shop setups.

If it is Keith and Jackie's choice to keep it running with donations or have yearly membership dues count me in.

Jim Becker
10-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Folks....before this turns into a major money storm, let's see what Keith has to say about the best way to proceed. I am not saying to avoid contributions...far from it, as I believe that contributions and/or a small membership fee really is the right way to go...but as someone already pointed out, let's not cause a tax or legal problem. With HRO shutting down, flooding money in could also complicate things for Keith and Jackie that we do not know anything about. (!) In other words, let's be sure things are organized and proceed from there. In the mean time, think about how much SMC is worth to you and be prepared to ani-up.

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Jim,

There is no one on this site that is worthy of being listened to, and whose opinion should be trusted more than you. However, I must respectfully point out that waiting to give financial support is what has caused the problem. More than the actual dollar amount, by sending a donation now, we are all showing our support by taking action. Most will decide to give a certain amount and give it, even if the decision is later. Some, however, may intend well now, but, forget, or for whatever reason, not donate. By donating now, the money's in the bank and the support is given. Action can be taken quickly without having to inform. I will trust Keith and any other decision makers to make the right decisions.

Again, I respect and admire your input, but the time is here.

John

Kevin Murdock
10-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Folks....before this turns into a major money storm, let's see what Keith has to say about the best way to proceed.

I agree with Jim here.

There's been an assumption as to how much cash flow is needed to run the site, and it's become the de-facto goal post to win the game.

Let's get the information gathered on what is required. Once we know where the goal posts are, then we can rush the field.

/Kevin

Jim Becker
10-09-2005, 11:16 AM
John, my only point was to be sure we are not causing additional problems. This is not a non-profit situation like our local PBS stations. Again, I applaud and encourage folks to support the effort...I have done so myself when we needed the new server...and will do so again to help keep SMC strong and in place.

I'm sure that Keith will respond when he sees this thread and give us guidance as to what works for him. You know me as a fellow woodworker (and one with a loud mouth), but I am also a businessman. The latter is speaking in this thread.

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Jim,

It's a good point. And at many levels, I agree. But, at the level of getting the job done right now, I think it's best to take action now. Those who make the decisions will have to deal with an unknown if the money is not in the bank. It will be conjecture how much will be there. I think the donations should be sent now, others, legitimately, feel waiting is correct. Time, as always, will tell.

John

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm with John on this one, make your donations. If Keith feels this is not the right direction to go, charge cards don't have to be processed and checks can go uncashed. It seems that in the past, Keith has not made a strong point of asking for donations. I only remember donating one other time, but am very willing to put my money up because this is an important venue for me.
Like John states; if we put this off it will go the wrong way, lets give Keith an option to use our resourses to do as he thinks best.

Richard

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Kevin,

That's good input. The amount I've been using is not total assumption. There are 5,608 members. Keith said in if each member donated $5 a year all expenses could be covered. That's about $2,337 per month. I rounded that up, to be conservative, and came up with $2,500. If we can't raise that, then the interest is probably not there. So, is it a defacto amount - probably. However, I feel we need to rush the field now and show support for the team.

John

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Richard,

White bearded guys must think alike.

John

Ian Barley
10-09-2005, 12:03 PM
For waht the opion is worth I agree with Jim. The issue isn't about keeping the thing going for a month - it is anout keeping the thing going.

Keith has indicated that there are many reasons that he is taking the action he is taking. One of them was the desire not to be in a 24 hour business. While I want to keep the resource going it shouldn't be despite Keith's own intentions.

There are many questions to be asked and answered. Keith is making efforts to relocate elsewhere. What can we do to make those efforts more viable?

I can see that hosting SMC made sense for HRO when it was buying bandwidth for other purposes. If it no longer needs to buy the bandwidth SMC is not using spare - it is using and therefore has to be paying. I don't know how fat the pipe needs to be but I would guess that it needs to be of a size that will not be cheap as a single use item.

The answer to the problem isn't really to patch the thing together on a month by month basis. The comms facilities are presumably run on an annual (at least) contract. None of us would sign a $30,000 contract without being reasonably certain of a matching income stream. Unless we can raise that sort of money Keith would be a fool to make the commitment. On that basis John the 250 you are seeking need to put in $120 each?? I think its worth it and if 249 other people say the same we might just have a chance. But I doubt it.

I would like to know whether, given the change of HRO circumstatnces, there isn't a more economical option. I can get a managed server for between $100 - $250 a month which gives unlimited bandwidth, 100mbit data transfer speed. Now it may be that these specs are unsuitable or that some other aspect makes this an unsuitable option. Jim has already said that it would be more complicated but complicated is better than dead!

Ray Bersch
10-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I think perhaps I read more into Keith's post than most - here is a quote from his post...

"Another consideration is that Jackie and I have decided that after ten years of managing a 24 hour per day business it is time to just let go and move on."

Perhaps Saw Mill Creek is just a small part of that 24 hour per day business, but they also run another business and it may be that they just want to move on - regardless of the finances.

Keith, speak up - or someone give them a call, Jim, you would be a good one to do that. Let us know what the situation is and how we can help.

Considering what I pay for newspaper subscriptions alone, or for fuel for my boat (last summer - what will I pay NEXT summer?), or bait for my fishing line, not to mention the time and money this form has saved me in my woodworking hobby, whatever reasonable financial commitment it takes to keep this forum alive will be worth it to me. So, I'd be willing to commit to a subscription, even an up front multi-year subscription if that is what it takes - but I don't want to force upon some one a task that is no longer wanted and by making all these contributions that may be what we are doing.

I have absolutely no idea what effort is involved in running a web site like this one, but I'll bet we can get enough volunteers to do so and, from the support expressed in this post, the money also.

Count me in - just let me know what direction we are headed and how I can help.
Ray

Ken Shoemaker
10-09-2005, 12:08 PM
I am, albeit somewhat selfishly, consumed with the fact I may lose the most important resource I will ever have while enjoying my new found hobby. I respect, as alwaysl the opinions of every member of SMC.

Mr. Wolf but it so clearly, don't cash the checks or process the credit cards and it all goes away. However, a precise dollar amount in hand will, in and of itself, clearly define the options for SMC.

Keith Outten
10-09-2005, 12:49 PM
We discussed this in the Moderators forum and the majority felt that a Member supported platform wouldn't work. It seems we may have been wrong.

Let me make you guys and gals an offer....Cox Cable will provide us a commercial cable connection here in my workshop with 768K of outbound traffic. This is just a bit more than we have been using for the last few months. The cost is $109.00 per month on a twelve month contract or $1308.00 per year. If we can collect $1200.00 I will sign a contarct for a year, we will have to collect more in the weeks to come so we are able to pay someone to act as our part time server administrator. We will also have to pay someone, hopefully Jackie, to take care of the banking and post time to accounts when money is collected. Additionally we could create a new Member Class to thank those who are providing our financial support and offer other perks as well like an advertising forum open for "Gold Members" to freely advertise their wares. Possibly this would entice others to support SMC and keep the cost per member very low so even our younger woodworkers could easilly be able to subscribe.

My reference to getting out of the 24 hour per day business was meant to mean the tech support we have been responsible for, helping our web hosting and dialup customers. SMC has never been a burden to any of our Admin or Moderators including myself.

If we have enough support this week I will assume the contractual obligation for SMC to continue as a Member Supported Forum. Just so you know that I am serious I will donate $50.00 of my personal funds per year and continue to volunteer my time as an Administrator. If we are unable to collect the necessary funds this week Jackie and I will return all monies collected.

No matter what the outcome this week let me say I appreciate everyones efforts and all of your kind words of encouragement both publicly and privately. Jackie and I have both been truly touched, we are fortunate indeed to have so many friends.

Jim Becker
10-09-2005, 1:06 PM
Keith has spoken and I have clicked in my $50 contribution.

Jamie Buxton
10-09-2005, 1:13 PM
I've just clicked $50 into the pot.

Roger Myers
10-09-2005, 1:14 PM
I'm a bit, no make that a lot, ashamed that I didn't step up to the plate a long time ago. My $50 contribution has just been made. I'm reading the creek more than the newspapers I get every day, and I certainly get a lot more pleasure and knowledge out of it! I was lost when the pond dried up and Keith stepped up to the plate to fill that void... Let's not let the waters in the creek run dry... This is a great family, and a family takes care of its own. Any amount will help folks!

Jay Knoll
10-09-2005, 1:15 PM
Keith

First of all, thanks so much for getting SMC up and running and for your devotion toward keeping it the friendly, open community that supports so many of us in our hobby/occupation. Best of luck to both you and Jackie in your future endeavors.

Thanks also for making it clear that you can continue to keep SMC alive with financial contributions. I was concerned that we were just running around throwing money at something before we had determined how things were going to proceed.

Hopefully with the cash you'll receive you can have a bit of a respite and spend some time with the moderators laying out all the aspects of SMC "membership".

In the meantime, there is $100 check in the mail to you. I know that you'll use it well.

Jay

lloyd morris
10-09-2005, 1:16 PM
Keith,

Thanks for a great forum and all you and Jackie do to make it happen. Personally, I am somewhat embarrassed for not inquiring about how SMC is financed or contributing to the forum sooner so I am really glad to have the opportunity to support SMC now.

Do you have an estimated budget projection for the next 12 months including all costs and not just the Cox Commercial Cable connection? If we know the total number you need to keep SMC up and running I am confident we can easily raise that amount.

Thanks again,

Lloyd Morris

Andy Hoyt
10-09-2005, 1:22 PM
Count me in - $50 (thru your donate button)

Ted Shrader
We discussed this in the Moderators forum and the majority felt that a Member supported platform wouldn't work. It seems we may have been wrong.

Let me make you guys and gals an offer....Cox Cable will provide us a commercial cable connection here in my workshop with 768K of outbound traffic. This is just a bit more than we have been using for the last few months. The cost is $109.00 per month on a twelve month contract or $1308.00 per year. If we can collect $1200.00 . . . {snip} . . Additionally we could create a new Member Class to thank those who are providing our financial support and offer other perks as well like an advertising forum open for "Gold Members" to freely advertise their wares. Possibly this would entice others to support SMC and keep the cost per member very low so even our younger woodworkers could easily be able to subscribe.
Keith -

Thanks for the explanation. This is as valuable (if not more) to me than a magazine subscription.

What is the easiest way for you to receive and process the donations? The DONATIONs button at the top of the page, PayPal, check sent to your shop, or . . . . ?

$$$ coming your way when the least burdensome method for you is posted.
If we have enough support this week I will assume the contractual obligation for SMC to continue as a Member Supported Forum. Just so you know that I am serious I will donate $50.00 of my personal funds per year and continue to volunteer my time as an Administrator. If we are unable to collect the necessary funds this week Jackie and I will return all monies collected.
Let's all help each other out and give a little.

Keith, Jackie, Aaron -Thanks for everything so far and your willingness to continue.

Best Regards,
Ted

ps - I will see your $50.00 - via the DONATE button at the top of the page. More later if you still need it.

Corey Hallagan
I am in for $30.00, thanks for all you do and are doing to keep SMC alive Keith!

Corey

lou sansone
10-09-2005, 1:26 PM
love the site and I am also in.

lou

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 1:34 PM
New numbers:

A big thanks to Jim, Jamie, Roger, Jay, Andy, Ted, Corey and especially Keith.

$785 down, $415 to go.

Let's get this job done today,

We need to send some money!!

Again, thanks to those whose donations haven't been counted above. I know there are many of you.

John

Jim O'Dell
10-09-2005, 1:51 PM
OK! I'm in for 25.00 now and more later. Let's hit this goal by mid afternoon!!! Jim.

John Shuk
10-09-2005, 1:53 PM
My $50 is in.
I have to say however that I am happy to give on a voluntary basis I would like to see The Creek remain free to all comers. I think that a subscription service allows too many people to call the shots. It becomes a service and there will be people who want better service for their money. I think that at this point if Keith is willing to take the responsibility for keeping it going with the money we provide that I would like it to remain the benvolent dictatorship that has worked so well. I trust your judgement.
John

Dan Oliphant
10-09-2005, 2:00 PM
Count me in for $25 via the donate option.
John, and all others involved in the day to day operation of this site, thank you!!!!!

nic obie
10-09-2005, 2:05 PM
I'm on my way to the donate button right now.

This forum is great, the people are nice and I enjoy reading it every day. I'd have to be crazy not to help with it's maintenance.

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 2:08 PM
Thanks Jim, John and Dan and all those who are donating and not posting.

That means there's really more than shows here. But, let's get the job done now!!

$880 down, $320 to go!!

Getting close, let's speed it up.

John

I've been at this computer all day. I'm going out to work on my shop. See you all in about 3 hrs. I bet we're over the $1,200 by then.

Bob Noles
10-09-2005, 2:11 PM
Now that Keith has given us direction, my full support is on it's way and will be as needed.

Count another $50 toward the goal.

Chris Barton
10-09-2005, 2:17 PM
I'm in... I made a donation of $320.

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 2:17 PM
Nice going Chris.

Richard

P.S. I'm filling in for John.

Kent Parker
10-09-2005, 2:22 PM
And the love keeps pouring in:D

Thank you Keith!

I'm in for $ 50.00.

Cheers,

Kent

Bob Noles
10-09-2005, 2:32 PM
Just want to bounce back in and give a big thanks to John for the wonderful incentive he has provided that appears to have given SCM it's needed life blood to continue forward at this point.

Even with my hesitancy earlier in this thread while awaiting direction from our leadership, I find it heart warming to see what a great family of people with a common interest can do when called upon to do so.

This is one of the finest internet sites alive and I have a feeling it can only get better from here.

Please..... everyone keep donating! There are expenses beyond the goal that Keith mentioned in his post and he will need all he can get. Give SOMETHING no matter how large or how small. We ALL need to be a part of this moment and it will help each of us feel good about ourself and being a part of SMC in the future.

KEEP DONATING !!!!!

John Renzetti
10-09-2005, 2:32 PM
I'm in for an initial $25.00 as a show of support for the efforts of Keith and Jackie in running this site. More will be forthcoming as needed. Nice job John in getting the ball rolling.
take care,
John

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 2:36 PM
Bob's right, lets keep he donations coming, it's a show of support!!!
Thanks Kent and John.

Richard

Bill Sampson
10-09-2005, 2:36 PM
Keith and Jackie,

Check for $50.00 is in the mail.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 2:37 PM
Thanks Bill.

Richard

Jay Knoll
10-09-2005, 2:43 PM
Since I don't have a clue about running a forum maybe this isn't possible.

This is a great forum, in a sense, a great "product". I think it would be entirely appropriate for Keith to send out a message to each user excerpting parts of his last post, and asking for donations. If Keith didn't want to do it, then perhaps the moderators could send it out under their signatures. (Or if the software allows tracking active members, sending an email out only to that group that had posted in the last 12 months for example)

We shouldn't be shy about asking for something in return for the value that SMC gives its members.

As we go forward maybe a donation guideline might be, anyone can read for free, after 25 posts we ask for a contribution -- say $10 per year if that is what it takes to keep the Creek flowing.

Jay

Tim Morton
10-09-2005, 2:44 PM
$50 closer!!! :D :D

Lets wrap this up today guys!!!

Aaron Koehl
10-09-2005, 2:52 PM
If we can collect $1200.00 I will sign a contarct for a year, we will have to collect more in the weeks to come so we are able to pay someone to act as our part time server administrator. We will also have to pay someone, hopefully Jackie, to take care of the banking and post time to accounts when money is collected....

SMC has never been a burden to any of our Admin or Moderators including myself.

I will continue to volunteer my time as SawmillCreek's primary administrator.

Additionally, I have been system administrator of the server for some time now--I don't see that changing. Again, I wouldn't worry about server administration.. I've got it covered.

Glenn Clabo
10-09-2005, 2:53 PM
This place is at least better than a couple of bottles of wine...so there's $50 toward it's continued operation in the magic donation button.

Jay Knoll
10-09-2005, 2:55 PM
I will continue to volunteer my time as SawmillCreek's primary administrator.

Additionally, I have been system administrator of the server for some time now--I don't see that changing. Again, I wouldn't worry about server administration.. I've got it covered.

Aaron

That is great! It is wonderful to know that "you've got our backs". Thanks again for your ongoing support

Jay

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 2:56 PM
Thanks Tim and Glenn.
Thanks very much Aaron.
Keep it coming.

Richard

Jim Hager
10-09-2005, 2:56 PM
Just sent in my $25.00 Hope this works to help shore up the foundation of the board.

Mike Ewalt
10-09-2005, 3:03 PM
Howdy folks!
When Wayne Miller left the compuserve home forum and formed Badger Pond he had a shadow, it was me. When Wayne got tired and opened the floodgate the "Creek" flowed forth and so did I. It took this old Texas country bumbkin a few weeks to figure out it was .org not .com :) Getting to read the above forums has always been my grasp on reality and civility in the rat race world of earning a living. I think a buck a day is a small price to pay for my sanity. Hopefully $365 will help out.
Mikee

Dan Forman
10-09-2005, 3:04 PM
My $25 is in, more to come if/ when needed.

Dan

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 3:07 PM
Thanks Jim and Dan.
Mike, I see you have been a member for quite some time, but thats one heck of a first post. Thanks.

Richard

Jim Fisher
10-09-2005, 3:10 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first post. I have been checking SMC almost every day since the Pond went down. So when I checked in (lurking) today and read
Ken's post I was shocked! This made me remember how sad I was when the
Pond shut down. So today I joined SMC and I donated $50 to help. This whole
website is run so well and so informative. I would really miss it!

Thanks alot Ken,
Jim

Tim Morton
10-09-2005, 3:11 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first post. I have been checking SMC almost every day since the Pond went down. So when I checked in (lurking) today and read
Ken's post I was shocked! This made me remember how sad I was when the
Pond shut down. So today I joined SMC and I donated $50 to help. This whole
website is run so well and so informative. I would really miss it!

Thanks alot Ken,
Jim

Might be the BEST 1st post ever....WELCOME!!!

Tim Morton
10-09-2005, 3:12 PM
Howdy folks!
When Wayne Miller left the compuserve home forum and formed Badger Pond he had a shadow, it was me. When Wayne got tired and opened the floodgate the "Creek" flowed forth and so did I. It took this old Texas country bumbkin a few weeks to figure out it was .org not .com :) Getting to read the above forums has always been my grasp on reality and civility in the rat race world of earning a living. I think a buck a day is a small price to pay for my sanity. Hopefully $365 will help out.
Mikee

maybe we have a tie :D :D :D :D

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 3:13 PM
Thanks Jim, great post.

Richard

Cody Colston
10-09-2005, 3:15 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm in for $25. I enjoy learning at The Creek.

Cody

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 3:17 PM
Thanks Cody.
It's great to see all the cream come to the top.

Richard

Bob Noles
10-09-2005, 3:34 PM
Thanks Cody.
It's great to see all the cream come to the top.

Richard

Richard....

How about a new tally if possible at this point?

Aaron of course is the top donator, but there is no way to put a value on his huge donation.

Andrew Ault
10-09-2005, 3:42 PM
Okay - I threw in $25.

Ah, now I feel better.

:)

- Andy

Kevin Post
My $25 is in the hat. Keep it up everyone!

-Kevin

Richard Wolf
Bob, I'm sure it is well past the amount Keith was looking for, but we should continue as far past any goal that may have been set. I am amazed with the people who seldom post raising to the occasion and helping out.
Some people have been conspicuios (sp) in their absense, and for some donating money may not be an option, but if you visit this site with any kind of regularity and don't donate $10.00, shame on you.
The information that is avaible here is enormious, it's a very good investment.

Richard

P.S. Thanks Andrew and Kevin

Mike Wenzloff
10-09-2005, 3:54 PM
Some people have been conspicuios (sp) in their absense, and for some donating money may not be an option, but if you visit this site with any kind of regularity and don't donate $10.00, shame on you.
I don't know whether the totals reflect whether someone has "spoken up" upon donating or not. I also feel that your above statement is both contradictory and is itself shameful in its attempt to encourage people to donate.

After all, should one for whom donating "may not be an option" also feel the "shame" you state they should? Surely you didn't mean it in that manner, did you Richard?

Mike

Mike Deschler
10-09-2005, 3:55 PM
I'm in for for $25.00. Keep up the great work. this is one resource we cannot afford to lose.

Mike

Peter Pedisich
10-09-2005, 4:03 PM
Wow! I just checked back in after pumpkin picking with my son and it's great!

I just did the donate button for another $25 + my $25 from this morning, small compared to magazine subscriptions! I don't want to lose SMC.

Pete

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 4:09 PM
Mike, I did mean that as two sperate remarks. I am in no position to be judgemental of anyone's financial position. I realize that any donation may not be posible for some and under no circumstances am I trying to cast shame on anyone in that position.
My remarks reflects people that use this site as a reference form and site for interaction of ideas and opinions and for some reason don't think it is worth a ten dollar investment (if they can afford it).
I did not make any statement with the intent of offending anyone. I'm sorry if I did.

Richard

Dave Richards
10-09-2005, 4:10 PM
$30 in from me.

Brian Hale
10-09-2005, 4:11 PM
Just hit DONATE and sent $100.00, most likely the best money i've spent in a long long time.

Brian :)

Pete Simmons
10-09-2005, 4:21 PM
Keith I will send a check for $25 as a donation to SMC when I pay you for my recent Black Marble order. If more is needed in the future I will be there to help.

Lets see, back 8 or so months ago I new NOTHING about Laser Engraving. Today I keep busy at my hobby/business of Laser Engraving and even have people asking me "How do you make such nice Black Marble Photos?

99.99% of what I know about Laser Engraving came from SMC.

Like Mastercard says - $25 here, $50 there, being able to learn that much that fast - PRICELESS!!!

Roger Bell
10-09-2005, 4:21 PM
in for fifty

W Craig Wilson
10-09-2005, 4:25 PM
A while back there was a discussion about dropping members who did not post occaisionaly. As a long time lurker on several forums, let me take this opportunity to say that we of few words deeply appreciate the shared expertise we find through your chatter.

My $25 donation has been sent. Here's hoping we can keep SMC alive.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-09-2005, 4:27 PM
I just hit DONATE for $20. Let's keep the Creek flowing.

Todd Davidson
10-09-2005, 4:29 PM
Kim and I are in for $50. We love this forum!!!!!!

Gary Shoemake
10-09-2005, 4:30 PM
This is a wonderful place to learn and share. Count me in for 25$

Tom Hamilton
10-09-2005, 4:30 PM
I'm in. It is very rewarding to see the support where it is needed most, from the wallet.

TJH

Jay Knoll
10-09-2005, 4:32 PM
I don't know whether the totals reflect whether someone has "spoken up" upon donating or not. I also feel that your above statement is both contradictory and is itself shameful in its attempt to encourage people to donate.

After all, should one for whom donating "may not be an option" also feel the "shame" you state they should? Surely you didn't mean it in that manner, did you Richard?

Mike

Well, I'll put my 2 cents in, and let Richard keep up the cheer leading. I see no shame in encouraging everyone to donate to keep this forum alive. I think it is unrealistic that someone thinks that everything is "free" and should be there just for the taking. Everyone who participates in this forum has the economic ability to contribute something. Heck, we've all got computers and are paying for INTERNET access (OK some may not and are using library access). To say nothing about the money we spend on our shops, tools and materials!
In any event, I find it impossible to consider that any user couldn't find $5-$10 a year to keep this going. Just throwing your pocket change in a jar at the end of the day would provide that level of contribution without any effort.

Let's keep up the positive energy.

Jay

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2005, 4:37 PM
Tore up first check and rewrote a new one for $50 which will be in the mail first thing Tueday. Aaron thank you for all your time and effort. It is greatly appreciated. Again Keith and Jackie a big thank you.

John Miliunas
10-09-2005, 4:37 PM
Well, I just took a major hit on my income (negative!) a couple weeks ago, so it's not what I would've like to add, but another $50.00 was just submitted to help the cause. We just HAVE to keep this place alive and well!:) And just another echo to Keith, Jackie and, of course, Aaron for covering all the difficult logistics of this fabulous place we call the Creek! For many of us, it's like home!:) :cool:

Mike Wenzloff
10-09-2005, 4:54 PM
Hi Richard and Jay,

I just wanted for Richard to have the opportunity to clarify he wasn't being judgemental, which I assumed he wasn't, but it could be read that way by a lurker or someone who is of lesser means.

There is no shame or wrong in encouraging others to give...but, Jay, not everyone may have the means to give at this very moment, either. If someone elects to not donate at this time--or at all--they should not be made to feel they are freeloaders.

Perhaps it is the rebel in me that is provoked to point this out. I do believe that if someone feels they ought to donate that they should follow through. But not from pressure, guilt or compulsion, but rather in gratitude for what Keith et al have provided gratis for this community.

Mike

Jay Knoll
10-09-2005, 5:06 PM
Hi Richard and Jay,

I just wanted for Richard to have the opportunity to clarify he wasn't being judgemental, which I assumed he wasn't, but it could be read that way by a lurker or someone who is of lesser means.

There is no shame or wrong in encouraging others to give...but, Jay, not everyone may have the means to give at this very moment, either. If someone elects to not donate at this time--or at all--they should not be made to feel they are freeloaders.

Perhaps it is the rebel in me that is provoked to point this out. I do believe that if someone feels they ought to donate that they should follow through. But not from pressure, guilt or compulsion, but rather in gratitude for what Keith et al have provided gratis for this community.

Mike

Sounds like we're having a violent agreement here! Gratitude should be the driving force. Speaking personally, sometimes I need a slap upside the head to reflect on all the abundance I have in my life and remember to make some charitable contributions (generally SWMBO fills that role amply :) ) So, I think that most people would contribute something if they thought about the worth that SMC brings to them.

What some may see as pressure, others may see as encouragement. Guess it just depends on the recipient's attitude.

Anyway, we all have, hopefully, the same goal in mind -- keeping SMC healthy.

Jay

Brian Hale
10-09-2005, 5:08 PM
Any idea where we're at, donation wise???

Brian :)

Rob Littleton
10-09-2005, 5:09 PM
I don't wanna go thru the hassle of changing out my home page :D

I'm in and will continue to be in as long as help is needed.

Thanks Keith and Jackie and Aaron for ALL you do this community alive.

My wife never uses this site but knows what it means to me and told me to donate. That is kinda neat for her...........

God bless you all.

Remember the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, "It is more blessed to give, than to receive"

John Miliunas
10-09-2005, 5:16 PM
God bless you all.

Remember the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, "It is more blessed to give, than to receive"

Amen, Rob!:) And in the case of SMC, I've already received so much, it so much easier to give!:) :cool:

David Wilson
10-09-2005, 5:16 PM
I'm in for $25.00.

Jeremy Gibson
10-09-2005, 5:25 PM
This is the best darn site on the Internet - bar none! I would be happy to pay a monthly or yearly subscription fee.

Add my $25 to the pot.

Christopher Pine
10-09-2005, 5:27 PM
I am in with my donation... I just used the donate button at the top of the page. worked great.. I would Love it if there was a enhanced membershiip or whatever like Keith mentioned... that way we know exactly where we stand each year.. would be great if that were in place by say Jan 1st.. I belong to two different Woodworking related "guilds". and they both charge a yearly fee.. I would pay a like amount for a year of SMC... no doubt..

Thanks all!

Chris

Joseph O'Leary
10-09-2005, 5:33 PM
I'm in for $25, Thanks for a great forum!!:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-09-2005, 5:43 PM
Sorry it ain't more, but $10.00 got sent to you today via the Donate Button.

Bruce

Vaughn McMillan
10-09-2005, 6:01 PM
I just dropped another $50 in the hat via the Donate link...$10 from me, $5 each from the LOML and the two dogs, and another $25 to cover for one random Creeker who might not have the funds available to help out this time.

I'm a member of a travel forum that uses EZ-Board, and it's a small group, but we kick in as needed to keep the forum ad-free. There's a "treasure chest" icon on the main page showing how much money we have in "the chest". That way we all know when it's time to donate again. Perhaps Keith or Aaron could add a meter or some other type of indicator the home page (or all pages) that roughly indicates how the funding is doing, and we. as members, could know when it's about time to dust off the ol' checkbooks. I prefer voluntary contributions as opposed to subscription memberships, because there are quite likely some very valuable SMC members who might not have the ability to pay for one reason or another, and I don't mind donating a bit extra when I can afford it so the forum remains available to them as well as to me.

I also have no objection to the periodic "call to arms" like John did to start this thread. It tends to rally the group together in a positive way, and also brings a few otherwise unheard voices into the mix. It's all good.

Thanks to all, for everything this site represents -

- Vaughn

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 6:07 PM
Bob,

I just got in from putting some trim on my new shop. I'm working on a new total. Remember, I'm only doing a total for the folks that have given an amount. I know many have donated and not posted an amount. I'm on post 101 now, I'll get back in a few minutes.

John

Ray Bersch
10-09-2005, 6:07 PM
Thank you Keith, Jackie, Aaron and all others working to keep this site going - I am in for $50 at the donate button - let me know if I can do anything else.
Ray

Ian Barley
10-09-2005, 6:10 PM
Best £56.55 I have spent this year

Charlie Velasquez
10-09-2005, 6:15 PM
As a novice, the information gleaned from this site has already saved me a couple of hundred dollars. But more importantly I see an aura of friendship and collegiality unmatched by any other forum (well, OK, maybe my Macintosh user's forum is similar).

Thanks to all that sponsor, adminstrate, ask questions, answer questions and generally interact with each other in such a supportive manner.

As a public school teacher still helping to pay for 4 college educations, I can't pony up a lot right now, but I can certainly budget $10-15 a month. One less Domino's pizza a month should make it easier to reach down to pick up those screws I drop, anyway. First installment sent.

Ted Calver
10-09-2005, 6:21 PM
I'm in for $100--$50 because it's the right thing to do and another $50 because without SMC we would probably not know that Mark Singer had written:

"El Shlamaca es un arbol mistereioso y mi amigo Juan no puede encontrarlo solamente existe en Peru " :D :D

John Miliunas
10-09-2005, 6:28 PM
I'm in for $100--$50 because it's the right thing to do and another $50 because without SMC we would probably not know that Mark Singer had written:

"El Shlamaca es un arbol mistereioso y mi amigo Juan no puede encontrarlo solamente existe en Peru " :D :D

Ted, you're TOO much! ROFLMAO!:D :D Oh, and FWIW, I'll bet Myriam wrote that out for him! :) :cool:

Jay Knoll
10-09-2005, 6:35 PM
Ted, you're TOO much! ROFLMAO!:D :D Oh, and FWIW, I'll bet Myriam wrote that out for him! :) :cool:

Those of us who are spanish deficient need to rely on Google translation and that didn't help

The Shlamaca is arbol mistereioso and my friend Juan cannot find it only exists in Peru

So, John, you're either very fluent, or easily amused, :) I for one don't have a clue but could use a good giggle, so can you fill me in?

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 6:38 PM
Thanks to:

Bob, Chris, Kent, John, Bill, Tim, Glen, Jim, Mike(you are crazy), Dan, Jim, Cody, Andrew, Kevin, Mike, Peter, Dave, Brian, Pete, Roger, Ron, Todd, Gary, Bernie, John, David, Jeremy, Joe, Bruce, Vaughn, Ray, Ian (hope I did the exchange rate correct), Charlie, and Ted. And also, to Richard for keeping the cheering going while I was out on this sunny Northern Michigan afternoon. Sorry if I missed anyone. But you know I luv ya.

$2,550 down, $1,350 over.

Thanks also to those who donated and didn't post. Also, there were many who changed their amount and the above is not exact. And, as I'm writing there are those donating more.

Let's all remember that, although this was a stunning day for the "Creek," the real test will be 6 months or a year from now when we see if we all remember to put a little in to keep things going. I for one look at today's donation as a buy-in cost. I'm going to put a little in each month. Some have definately done your year's worth, but the rest of us can buy a couple less cups of coffee a month and make a donation.

Thanks Keith and Jackie. Without you this good ole' woodworking community would not exist or continue.

John

John Miliunas
10-09-2005, 6:50 PM
Those of us who are spanish deficient need to rely on Google translation and that didn't help

The Shlamaca is arbol mistereioso and my friend Juan cannot find it only exists in Peru

So, John, you're either very fluent, or easily amused, :) I for one don't have a clue but could use a good giggle, so can you fill me in?

You got me, Jay!:D I just remember reading this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19967&highlight=Shlamaca

with a few of our illustrious members batting a few "foreign" phrases back and forth at each other...:D And yes, I actually am easily amused!:D :cool:

Frank Hagan
10-09-2005, 7:02 PM
Let me make you guys and gals an offer....Cox Cable will provide us a commercial cable connection here in my workshop with 768K of outbound traffic. This is just a bit more than we have been using for the last few months. The cost is $109.00 per month on a twelve month contract or $1308.00 per year. If we can collect $1200.00 I will sign a contarct for a year, we will have to collect more in the weeks to come so we are able to pay someone to act as our part time server administrator. We will also have to pay someone, hopefully Jackie, to take care of the banking and post time to accounts when money is collected. Additionally we could create a new Member Class to thank those who are providing our financial support and offer other perks as well like an advertising forum open for "Gold Members" to freely advertise their wares. Possibly this would entice others to support SMC and keep the cost per member very low so even our younger woodworkers could easilly be able to subscribe.

Looks like you have enough for the first year's service, and enough extra to help with some of the administrative overhead. I'm in for my donation today too, and I'm glad to see both the response from the other members here, and your flexibility in letting the site continue.

Mike Cutler
10-09-2005, 7:07 PM
Whoa Dude's!!! Get a little absorbed at work, and I check in to find this thread, Wow. Being from California, I can even say Wow backwards.. Wow!

The proverbial check is in the mail. I sent a $100 via the donate button. I've never used this before, so if I screwed it up, someone please tell me.

Jesse Cloud
10-09-2005, 7:30 PM
Just sent my $25 .. figure I've saved more than that on the 'good deals at amazon' alerts this week,

John Bailey
10-09-2005, 7:31 PM
Guys and Gals,

You got to work, you did the job, you are awesome.

Latest total is $2,675. I like zero's so I donated another $25 to bring us to (drum roll please):

$2,700

:DYou Sent Some Money In!!:D

Very impressive you all. This is about twice what Keith said he needed. That means their will be some for future emergencies, projects or whatever needs to be done. A little fund equity never hurt. You guys and gals are great.

John

Michael Gabbay
10-09-2005, 7:31 PM
I'm in for $25. This is a great forum and I'd hate to see it go.

Mark Plough
10-09-2005, 7:34 PM
Just hit the donate button. You got $25. Wish it could be more, but thanks to SMC I spend most of my spare money on stuff to make pens.

nic obie
10-09-2005, 7:38 PM
I bet Keith and family (& mods) are happy and a little bit surprised with our support.

I'd hazard to guess that they didn't think we cared so much.

But,

the proof is always in the pudding. :D

rick fulton
10-09-2005, 7:44 PM
To Keith, Jackie, and Aaron -

Thanks so much for your efforts in bringing SMC to the public. It is a great web site. I just contributed another $50 today thru the "Donate" button.

rick

Randy Carver
10-09-2005, 7:44 PM
I'm in for $25. Let's make sure Keith has one less thing to worry about, and that the Creek lives on. There are probably many like me that are not as vocal (often because the answers are already there in the archives!), but still consider the Creek to be extremely valuable. I wouldn't consider post count to be the only indication of interest.

Randy (currently eyeing Carole's new lathe, and reading Dick Parr's impressions of it!).

Gary Herrmann
10-09-2005, 7:49 PM
I think I just donated $25, but I didn't get a confirmation page or anything and wound up on the HRO page. There is a field in the left hand side under billing that has an asterisk - indicating a required field, but I think it was the 2nd line of the company field. Not a big deal, but somebody may want to fix that to avoid future confusion.

Please let me know if my donation didn't come thru. Its entirely possible I hosed it up. Hopefully not tho.

I really enjoy this forum and the people I've met here. I've learned a lot and hope to learn more once we've ensured the Creek's future.

Bruce Page
10-09-2005, 7:50 PM
I’ve been out in the shop all day so I missed all the hoopla. I just put in a $75 donation, hope it helps. If it’ll take a monthly donation to keep SMC I’m all for it.

Jackie Outten
10-09-2005, 7:54 PM
Keith and I are overwhelmed by the generosity of our friends on this forum. You have responded over and above our expectations. As of 7:45 pm we have received $4,000 in donations. If you would still like to contribute to sawmillcreek we encourage you to do so--$5 per member would be plenty.

Thank you again for your show of support. We are very touched and grateful that all of you think so much of all of us and sawmillcreek.

Keith will be posting more information later this evening.

God Bless you all.

Jackie

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2005, 7:55 PM
I just sent $30. Hang in there Keith.

Ernie

Dan Larson
10-09-2005, 7:55 PM
I'm in for $100.

Richard Wolf
10-09-2005, 8:00 PM
Thank you again for your show of support.
Jackie

No, thank you, for giving us the chance to keep this alive.

Richard

Jackie Outten
10-09-2005, 8:00 PM
Gary,

Your donation came through just fine.

Jackie

Karl Laustrup
10-09-2005, 8:05 PM
Keith, Jackie, Aaron and all the moderators.

First, I am so glad that WE as a family have rallyed to continue this bright spot on the internet. I hope the donations continue to flow in as I would imagine that somewhere down the road SMC will be in need of upgrades.

Second, WE must salute you for your efforts in starting this forum and maintaining it over the past few years. What WE can do to help you keep this forum up and running is the very least WE can do.

Again, thank you for your dedication to this web site.

Karl

Bobby McCarley
10-09-2005, 8:08 PM
I'm in for $25.00. It will go out in the mail the first thing tomorrow. The Creek is just too valuable to go by the wayside. Of all the places I visit, most just don't compare with the Creek and its members and I think we just proved that tonight. Thanks Keith, Jackie and Aaron for your time and efforts to make this such a great place to hang.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Neil Clemmons
10-09-2005, 8:11 PM
I'm in for $20. SMC is a great resource.

Neil

Don Bergren
10-09-2005, 8:13 PM
Wow! You stay in the shop most of the day and you almost miss out on all the excitement. I just donated $50.00 too. For me it's money well spent.

One example of why this site is important to me is something I did today. With help from many posts on the topic I ordered the EZ Smart 100 guide and a new PC 324Mag as a dedicated saw for it. It's the folks who post here that helped me make my decision.

A special thanks to Keith and Jackie for all they have done for our community. And a big thanks to our community for coming together at such a difficult time in Keith and Jackie's lives.

PS :D Ya gotta love how I slid a stealth gloat in.

Karl Laustrup
10-09-2005, 8:18 PM
One example of why this site is important to me is something I did today. With help from many posts on the topic I ordered the EZ Smart 100 guide and a new PC 324Mag as a dedicated saw for it. It's the folks who post here that helped me make my decision.

PS :D Ya gotta love how I slid a stealth gloat in.

Just remember Don, it's not officially a gloat until we see pictures. :)

Karl

Bill Turpin
10-09-2005, 8:26 PM
Keith and Jackie: Now that SMC's future has been secured, please get Paypal set up for recurring donations. I have been doing that with Woodcentral for almost two years. It is much easier to donate a few dollars automatically monthly than to send a big chunk. When are we going to have another swap meet? The first one was really neat.

$25 on the way as soon as I read the rest of the new posts

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2005, 8:29 PM
I just donated $20....so count me in.!!!! :D

Frank Hagan
10-09-2005, 8:31 PM
I think I just donated $25, but I didn't get a confirmation page or anything and wound up on the HRO page.

You'll get a confirmation email from HRO ... mine came within just a few minutes of clicking the button!

Russ Massery
10-09-2005, 8:36 PM
I'm in for 50.00 also. :D

Sam Chambers
10-09-2005, 8:42 PM
Keith:

I just sent in $25 via the "donate" button. There's no doubt in my mind that there will be enough by the end of the week.

Frank Pellow
10-09-2005, 9:00 PM
Let me make you guys and gals an offer....Cox Cable will provide us a commercial cable connection here in my workshop with 768K of outbound traffic. This is just a bit more than we have been using for the last few months. The cost is $109.00 per month on a twelve month contract or $1308.00 per year. If we can collect $1200.00 I will sign a contarct for a year.
That's great news Keith as it is much less than folks have been speculating and an amount which I am positive that we can raise.

I contributed in the past for the new server and plan to contribute for this new effort. RIGHT NOW.

Brad Hammond
10-09-2005, 9:21 PM
i'm in!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm at work right now, but when i get home i'm clickin the dontate button!
i too have enjoyed this community so much and have learned a great deal more than 5 buck a year!

Dave Bonde
10-09-2005, 9:25 PM
I just contributed $20.00, glad I could help. Dave

Matt Meiser
10-09-2005, 9:26 PM
Sent another $25. Keeping this place the way it is make it well worth it!

John Hart
10-09-2005, 9:30 PM

That was Cinco De Mayo....I remember it well.....I still don't think there's Shlamaca in Peru!!!:D

Dave Brandt
10-09-2005, 9:33 PM
Jeez, I get back from our South Carolina house closing and find this thread! SMC closing?!? Not if I can help too. This site is much more valuable than all of the magazines I get. Count me in for $50.

Jim O'Dell
10-09-2005, 9:36 PM
I am in awe at what has been done today, as I'm sure Keith and Jackie are really blown away. Just keep this in mind...The outpouring of love today in the form of money is just a tangible response to a need. We've seen this with the hurrican relief as well.
Keith and Jackie, this response today is for you and our love for what you have done in the past by creating Saw Mill Creek, and by keeping it going these few years behind the scenes. I wasn't part of the Pond, but I'm very proud to be part of the Creek. I am happy that I have a chance to be a part of this, and hope that the little bit I can do will allow someone else to be touched down the road, and helped by all the terrific information that is available here. When it is time, they too will be happy to contribute to the ongoing needs of this forum. Great job everybody!!! Jim.

Keith Foster
10-09-2005, 9:38 PM
Just got back from Yoakum (where the internet is something they read about once in Popular Mechanics). :D

At any rate - just hit the button for $25. Keep up the good work guys!

Roy Wall
10-09-2005, 9:51 PM
Count me in---:) !! $25 donation on the way.......

Thank you HRO/SMC!!!!

Jay Knepper
10-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm in for $50. Thanks to all for a great forum.

Greg Heppeard
10-09-2005, 10:26 PM
$30 Keep it going!!

Gil Mitchell
10-09-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm in for $25 I've never met any creekers but I've been coming here long enough I feel like i know a lot of you. This site is the best

Charlie Plesums
10-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Thank you Keith, Jackie, and Aaron.

I'm in again for $50, and will be in again when the funds run out.

Charlie

Erin Raasch
10-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but I just added $25 to the pot.

Erin

John Miliunas
10-09-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but I just added $25 to the pot.

Erin

Erin, the party's been going on for close to three years now and we're just warming up! Thanks!:D :)

Jack Norfleet
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Just returned from a business trip to Germany so I am a little late. Just submitted $30 via the donate button.

Mark Stutz
10-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Can't believe I almost missed this! Glad I decided to check on the water temp tonite! Count me in for the long haul.

Bill Marcheck
10-09-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm in for $25.

Bill

Keith Outten
10-10-2005, 12:11 AM
We are just overwhelmed by everyone's response. Please drop the donations down to $5.00 per year. We already have enough funds to pay our first years hosting bills and any other expenses that may come along and we probably can reach well into the second year.

Tomorow morninig we will order our Internet connection, I expect it will take about two weeks before we move the SMC server from HRO to our workshop office in Hayes.

Everyone who donates will receive a new membership designation, we aren't sure what it will be just yet but we will make an announcement as soon as we can decide on something that is appropriate. We would also like to provide some new features or perks for everyone who donated. Let us know if you have any ideas.

Aaron just downloaded the latest update for vBulletin and will install it sometime tomorrow....maybe in the early eveninig. There are lots of very nice goodies and one of them is the ability to place text in between pictures in your posts. This is a feature eveyone has wanted for a very long time, it should be available by tomorrow eveninig.

Here is the short list of some of the new features;

Completely rewritten message editor with ability to
instantly switch between standard and WYSIWYG modes
* Thread title editing on forumdisplay via AJAX
* Thread opening and closing on forumdisplay via AJAX
* Super-Quick Reply on showthread via AJAX
* Inline post edit on showthread via AJAX
* Username suggestion for PM recipients and search by
user via AJAX
* Data manipulation APIs (Data Manager) for centralized
data saving
* Template History & Comparison for easy tracking of
changes
* Database-based thread and forum read marking
* MySQL Full Text Search
* Additional Datastore Storage Methods
* Webkit support for style manager color picker
* ImageMagick 6 Support (alternative to GD)
* Calendar events support start/end times
* Custom avatar and profile picture resizing
* Profile pictures can be saved to filesystem
* Each attachment image type can be individually set to
generate thumbnails or not
* Each attachment image type can be individually set to
open in a new window or not
* New [attach] bbcode tag for placing attachments inline
with messages
* Word wrap excludes contents of PHP/CODE/HTML blocks
* Search engine spider configuration via XML file
* Attachment upload via URL in addition to local upload
* New (hopefully foolproof) method for setting
cookiepath/cookiedomain
* Forum description field no longer limited to 250 characters

Jackie, Aaron and I met breifly this eveninig to make a few decisions and plans for moving our server and a few improvements we hope to implement in the coming weeks. Thanks again to everyone for your support and more importantly your friendship. It is a huge relief to be able to look ahead with confidence instead of dreading a difficult decision.

What a difference a day can make :)

Lawrence See
10-10-2005, 12:16 AM
John, I've made made my support $25 real. I will keep a close watch to see if more is needed.

Larry See

Bill Fellmy
10-10-2005, 12:18 AM
I just sent my $25 to help keep the best woodworking internet site operable. As others have already pointed out, the information available here is better than and faster than all of my magazine subscriptions put together. Additionally, I can ask a question in a non-threatening atmosphere, and no matter how "dumb" the question might be, I have always received a respectful answer. What a great group of individuals to be associated with!

Bill

Cecil Arnold
10-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Boy, go to the Mesquite show (pictures of KC later) and miss the party. Just sent my $25. We gott'a keep this place alive, and to Keith and Jackie, I'm sorry to hear about HRO and wish you both all the best. I think you now know you have more friends and supporters than you thought.

John Lucas
10-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Keith,
You are way ahead of us with your going for the new server access. And you seem not to want "overage" of dollars. Why not? There has to be a lot of operational expenses throughout the year. If you get $2500 over what you need, enjoy it for what it means...i.e. that you dont have to sink personal funds. I bet the "little" expenses here and there can mount up. You now have a purse from which to work.
An aside, the WWA closed down to change servers and have been off line for a day and a half. The Oak has server problems. These are coincidental but bring to the fore a real awareness of how much we need good woodworking forums. It is very nice to now know that Saw Mill Creek is alive and well. Thanks Keith et al.

Rick Schubert
10-10-2005, 1:06 AM
Just logged in to find this thread and got my $25 contributed through the Donate button.

Thanks to all. Rick

Fred Dorn
10-10-2005, 1:23 AM
Just contributed using the donate button.

Thanx

Jason Tuinstra
10-10-2005, 1:39 AM
Just wanted to register my $30 donation. I know I post a ton of pics, so this probably isn't even my fair share :) , but I'll plan to do what I can when I can. Keith, I know you said to reduce it to $5, but do with it what you will. You've been great! This site is great and I don't want to have to find yet another body of water to hang out near :D :p

Pete Harbin
10-10-2005, 2:23 AM
Per Keith's request I limited my contribution to $5...for myself and nine other friends :D

Pete

Niels J. Larsen
10-10-2005, 3:19 AM
I know I'm late to the party, but that has to be the time-difference between your place and mine here in Europe (or maybe it's the fact that I've been very busy lately...:rolleyes: ).

Although I'm a mere newbie at woodworking I've found this site to be the first I go to whenever I open an Internet Explorer window and whenever I'm here I learn something useful.

So, your "request" for only $5 won't do - you're getting $25! :D

Thanks for the outstanding work with the site so far - keep it up! :D

/Niels

Dan Forman
10-10-2005, 3:20 AM
This thread kind of reminds me of the ending of that classic Jimmy Stuart movie "It's a Wonderful Life". I'm so glad that things are working out, when last night it looked so bleak. Thanks to all.

Dan

aurelio alarcon
10-10-2005, 3:26 AM
I will be sending a donation through snail mail. This is really a great place to get information! Thanks for all that everyone does here to make woodworking more enjoyable!

John Bailey
10-10-2005, 3:49 AM
Keith,

First, my apologies if I got a little pushy. I saw a need and was driven to action. Secondly, I can't thank you enough for the work, talent and money you, and your crew, poured into this site. As a new retiree who wants to really get into woodworking, this site has been worth $100's, if not $1,000's to me. I hope you see that there are many out there that feel the same way. Thirdly, if there's anything I can help with from my home computer, let me know. Thanks a ton.

As far as the extra money, I strongly urge you to use any extra as a fund equity to be very stingy with, and use for unforseen problems or special, one time projects, in the future. This site is not a normal, every day kind of site. It's special. I consider my donation this time as start-up money and I'm going to donate another $20 each January 1st, starting this coming January, more if needed. And, I'm gonna remind others. That amount will be just like a magazine subscription, only worth more. $20 a yr. from a goodly percentage of us would probably cover the operating costs as you've described them. Possibly this would provide a little extra for the fund equity each year, then when technology marches on and we have the need to upgrade, the funds will be available.

Dan,

"It's a Wonderful Life" came to mind often yesterday as the day went on. Of course, you know, the main character was my uncle Frank. Today, I think the "Creek" has a guardian angle.

Thanks to everyone for getting the job done.

John

Vaughn McMillan
10-10-2005, 3:56 AM
Early on in the revelation about the demise of HRO and questionable future of SMC, Keith mentioned that he and the moderators had discussed the idea of having members pitch in a few bucks, but they decided against the idea, figuring there wouldn't be enough support. When I first read it, I was surprised to see they felt that way, since I had a strong suspicion the gang here would be very supportive.

I'm glad to see Keith and the mods were wrong on this one. And a big "way to go" to all the Creekers who pulled together in our shared time of need, and who, I'm sure, will continue to keep the Creek flowing.

- Vaughn

Mike Forsman
10-10-2005, 4:45 AM
So, Saturday, I head out of town for work, on a long sequence of plane flights, get to my destination after 34 hours of travel time, work all Monday afternoon local time, only to find out that SMC might close. I thought it must be some type of sleep deprived nightmare. I pinch myself and I'm not dreaming. I may not do many posts, but I learn more from SMC than all of my WW magazines put together. Call me sleep deprived and jet lagged but I just couldn't follow the directions to limit my donation to $5.00. Another $25.00 towards any operating expense required to keep SMC up and running.

Keith, Jackie, Aaron, and all of the moderators, thanks for making SMC the place to be for really great information on WW.

Loy Hawes
10-10-2005, 5:44 AM
Donated a little cash earlier. How about some artwork?

Jalin Key
10-10-2005, 6:18 AM
I'm in, what is the snail mail address again??

Bob Marino
10-10-2005, 7:46 AM
I donated last night and glad to do so.

Loy, that artwork looks incredible.

Bob

Frank Pellow
10-10-2005, 7:56 AM
I'm in, what is the snail mail address again??
Jay, the address is:

Hampton Roads Online
1213H George Washington Memorial Highway
Yorktown, VA 23693
Keith, this raises a question. When HRO closes down, should there be a diffeent sanil mail address for Saw Mill Creek?

Gary Lange
10-10-2005, 7:57 AM
I have only been coming here and using the site for a very short time but during that time I discovered that its value was far more then I had originally thought it would be. I discovered that with one question I could recieve many ideas and answers and helpful hints. I have thanked SMC for this advise and help by donating $25.00 to keep this information source flowing. I hope to have many more questions as I progress thru the building of the shop and with my donation I can see that the flow of information will continue into the future. Lets face it I will need all the help I can get.

Frank Pellow
10-10-2005, 7:58 AM
Donated a little cash earlier. How about some artwork?
Great artwork, Loy!

Keith Outten
10-10-2005, 8:02 AM
Thanks again to everyone for your support and a special thanks to John Bailey for taking the wheel yesterday. The tide has truly turned here at SMC and we will be able to continue on hopefully for years and even decades to come.

Loy, thanks for the graphic, Aaron will surely find a good spot to place your artwork. We have been thinking about building a new Front Page for the Creek so we can provide special links to Member Woodworking Articles, an announcement bulletin, Member Reviews and a host of other information. I hope that Aaron will be able to get the new page up and running very soon.

We may as well start using the new postal address for our server so Jalin here is the new addrress for SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums;

SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums
8770 Little England Rd
Hayes, VA 23072

I have been reminded many times lately that when one door closes another will open. This thought has been on my mind since yesterday and It seems appropriate that SMC would be more at home in a workshop than an Internet Providers office.

Fate has been kind to us this time, we will be grateful for our good fortune.

Bill Lewis
10-10-2005, 8:10 AM
I hit the button for $25 sometime yesterday. I just gotta see Becker make it to his 20,000th post.

Karl Laustrup
10-10-2005, 8:17 AM
I hit the button for $25 sometime yesterday. I just gotta see Becker make it to his 20,000th post.

That should be worth the price of admission all by its self. ;) :D

And Spring make it to 10,000. :D

Karl

Tom Bickley
10-10-2005, 8:21 AM
There are a few more dollars in the bowl! Thanks for keeping this going.

Scott Loven
10-10-2005, 8:43 AM
Keith, any way to add a spell check to the new Creek?
Scott

Ron McNeil
10-10-2005, 8:51 AM
;) I just sent $50 using the donate button. The Creek is a very special place and the members that flow between its banks are very special too. Thanks to Keith, Jackie and Aaron and to all the members for making this place we call Saw Mill Creek so Great. I retire in 115 days and I look forward to being a member of this forum for a long time to come.

Matthew Poeller
10-10-2005, 8:52 AM
$25

If this place went away I would actually have to work at work.....

Jim Knauss
10-10-2005, 9:01 AM
Thanks for the priveledge of being able to help, albeit in a small way. I have greatly injoyed my stay at the Creek, and although I dont post much or am not able to answer to many questions, I injoy lurking here emensly. I'm with whoever suggested the spellcheck feature! :) I kicked in $25.00 and am all for a yearly subscription. I wih I could personally shake the hands of all Creekers involved in this effort!

Jim Knauss

Keith Burns
10-10-2005, 9:07 AM
I'm in as well ! Sent my "donation/subscription". This site has been an inspiration to me ! I look at it at least 6 or 8 times per day. What a great bunch of "friends" I have made here.

Mike Weaver
10-10-2005, 9:30 AM
It's not Powerball. but I sure feel like I hit the jackpot when I found SMC and donated $20 to help keep the best WW forum up.

-Mike

Carl Eyman
10-10-2005, 9:42 AM
Scott: Somebody posted here maybe two years ago how to download a spell checker that works on you computer whatever you're doing. I did download it but that was on an old computer. Somebody may see this and clue us in. Or maybe a search would turn it up.

Jason Roehl
10-10-2005, 9:45 AM
Okay, $5 per year, but Keith didn't say how many years! 2 for me, thanks.

John Bailey, I think maybe you should be in charge of an annual fund drive! Perhaps we could also see some suggestions on how the overages might be used--server upgrades, some admin compensation (Aaron's obviously worth it), future connection upgrades, etc.

Syd Lorandeau
10-10-2005, 9:52 AM
Hi Guys,
I am in for $25.00, keep it going as it is a way to go.
Syd L

John Miliunas
10-10-2005, 9:56 AM
Scott: Somebody posted here maybe two years ago how to download a spell checker that works on you computer whatever you're doing. I did download it but that was on an old computer. Somebody may see this and clue us in. Or maybe a search would turn it up.

Carl/Scott: Here you go: http://www.iespell.com/
I've got it on ALL of my machines and love it. Very accurate and fast.:) :cool:

John Miliunas
10-10-2005, 9:58 AM
That should be worth the price of admission all by its self. ;) :D

And Spring make it to 10,000. :D

Karl

I'll bet Jim B. makes it to 20K before I make it to 10K!:eek: :) :cool:

Jim Becker
10-10-2005, 9:59 AM
Carl/Scott: Here you go: http://www.iespell.com/
I've got it on ALL of my machines and love it. Very accurate and fast.:) :cool:

There is an equivalent plug-in for FireFox and other browsers...works great with SMC.

Peter Gavin
10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
If we keep on donating we may end up with enough to fund an endowment to keep this place going in perpetuity. Wouldn't that be a nice gift to our grandchildren.:)

Thanks to everyone, the Ottens, the moderators, Aaron et al, but especially the members who have made this such a fantastic place that we all care enough to keep it going. Kudos to all.

Peter

John M. Cioffi
10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
WOW! I just logged in this morning & it took a long time to catch up on just this event! I've got alot of reading to do.

Check's in the mail.
Its great to be a part of the longest thread in forum history!
Thanks to ALL our Leaders & Friends.
" The Best place to be is SMC!" :D :D :D :D :D

JohnC

Bill Grumbine
10-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Good morning all

I just got done reading the entire thread. I'm one of those who remembers all the way back to Compuserve, and the migrations we made from place to place as we got kicked out. Then Wayne put together Badger Pond. Now we have SMC, and I think it is even better. I don't want to see it go away anymore than anyone else. I will be hitting the donate button myself as soon as I hit post on this one. I am glad to see all the support for keeping this place going.

Bill

Brad Hammond
10-10-2005, 10:33 AM
well, i was a little late, but my $30 bucks is in!

David Plaskett
10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Just hit the donate button for my 25.00.

Bob Worrel Jr.
10-10-2005, 10:43 AM
I've been out of it for a while. I just had my 7th back surgery (hopefully my LAST) a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd catch up with the Creekers during my recovery time. And found this thread. I just wanted to add my support. As well as to say that this site is invaluable to me.

I just donated $25. If a regular yearly donation/subscription is needed...I'm In.

George Matthews
10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I too just sent $25, and I'm more than satisfied that this is well worth it!

Russell Svenningsen
10-10-2005, 10:54 AM
I just clicked "Donate" and gave my $25.00

Thanks Keith and Jackie for all you do!

Russell

Jim Hinze
10-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Another $20 to keep the creek....

Don Baer
10-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Checks in the mail...;)

Steve Aiken
10-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I attempted to donate $20 Canadian -- which works out to about $100 US : -)I Keep getting this error message...does the site not accept Cdn Postal Codes?

Steve

<CENTER><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>Payment Processing Error</CENTER>

<HR>Your order was not processed

There was a problem processing your credit card information.
Please verify that the following were entered correctly:

Zip Code Card Number Expiration Date

</PRE>If you repeatedly see this message, complete your order by contacting the merchant directly. <HR>Detailed error message:

Response Code: 2
Response Subcode: 2
Reason Code: 27
Reason: The transaction resulted in an AVS mismatch. The address provided does not match billing address of cardholder.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Rich Konopka
10-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Wow !!

I'm just amazed at the outpouring support for SMC. It is a special place for me and I guess quite a few others. This community of woodworkers has done more than any WW magazine subscription. Count me in for $25.

BTW, I know there was a server upgrade earlier this year. How are we doing on Hardware? Disk space? Anything else we can do to help???

Thanks Jackie, Aaron, and Keith.

Also, Thanks to our moderators.

Jackie Outten
10-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Steve,

I am not sure why you are having problem. Several people from Canada and other countries have been able to donate with no problems. It looks like it does not like your zipcode and expiration date on your card.

Jackie

Frank Pellow
10-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Steve,

I am not sure why you are having problem. Several people from Canada and other countries have been able to donate with no problems. It looks like it does not like your zipcode and expiration date on your card.

Jackie
Actually, I did have the same problem when I tried to use my Canadian-based VISA card. I also have a USA-based card with a USA address and I ended up using that.

Ken Salisbury
10-10-2005, 12:57 PM
WOW !! !

I received a telephone call from a very excited Keith Outten this morning alerting me on these developments. I was not on the board at all yesterday, (a real oddity ). As Keith has mentioned, we have been beating around many, many options to keep SMC alive and well. We knew the demise of HRO was inevitable and something would have to be done fairly soon to keep SMC “free” and “non commercial”.

I am absolutely astonished at the response for donations. I have been with SMC since its inception and what has taken place over the past 24 hours or so has warmed my heart (to say the least). It truly shows we have established a real “family”.

Things like our Terms of Service, real name requirements, being non-commercial, and closely and self moderated, etc have made SMC unique to the internet. The knowledge base of our 5,616 members is in itself priceless

Because of your generosity SMC will continue to flourish. I urge everyone to contribute what you can. These funds will also allow us to make improvements in the future and will keep SMC “free” and “non-commercial.”

I would like to personally thank my good friends Keith, Jackie and Aaron for all they have done.

I would also like to thank my fellow moderators for a job well done.

Since Keith gave me a raise this month :) I made a $50.00 donation.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Scott Coffelt
10-10-2005, 1:01 PM
Consider it done for me! Just hit the donation button. I can't imagine this site not here.

Jerry Ingraham
10-10-2005, 1:54 PM
I, like others, can't imagine the void that would be left if this site were gone! I only hope that our combined effort will guarantee it's existence far into the future!

yw shun
10-10-2005, 1:59 PM
Sorry for being this late. I have only posted 1-2x but frequent here daily. I don't have any woodworking knowledge to share so all I can do is donate when the times come.
My $25 was in .

Yim from the Far East

PS : we don't have zipcode here, so I just made it up ;)

Gene Collison
10-10-2005, 2:07 PM
Put me down for $25.00 on the donate button. It would be a sad moment to see SMC go away.

Gene

Wes Bischel
10-10-2005, 2:21 PM
I just wanted to add my thanks to Keith and Jackie - you have sponsored a wonderful site and I thank you. My meager donation has been posted.

Also, thanks to Carl and John for the ieSpell - it will make life easier - and my messages legible. :rolleyes:

Wes

Michael Sloan
10-10-2005, 2:57 PM
In for $50.

Dave Anderson NH
10-10-2005, 3:00 PM
Just sent in my $25. Next step is some hand tools for the free stuff forum from Chester Toolworks.

John Miliunas
10-10-2005, 3:13 PM
Just sent in my $25. Next step is some hand tools for the free stuff forum from Chester Toolworks.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! NOW you're talkin' turkey, David!!! :D :D I wish I woulda' got TWO of your marking knives before you hit the BIG TIME!:) :cool:

Bart Leetch
10-10-2005, 3:32 PM
I'll be mailing in my donation of $25 :D I am very happy to do so. :D

Thanks to all that have worked so hard to keep this forum up & running.

Maybe I'll be able to catch up in my amout of posts to John & Jim, or is that Spring & Sprong? :D

Mark Drayton
10-10-2005, 3:38 PM
Small donation from a UK lurker.
Thanks for an excellent site.
Mark:)

Andrew Ault
10-10-2005, 3:45 PM
Small donation from a UK lurker.
Thanks for an excellent site.
Mark:)

Hey Mark,

I was a lurker too. But since I've started posting no one has biten my head off or called me names. So, I think it's safe to post as well as lurk!

Anyway, hi from San Diego.

- Andy

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2005, 3:58 PM
Hey Bart, it could be Sprong and Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

John Hemenway
10-10-2005, 4:11 PM
Man, don't dip my toes in the creek for JUST ONE DAY and look what happens! Seventeen pages of donations and comments.

$25 on it's way via 'Donate' button.

Dave Rawn
10-10-2005, 4:18 PM
Count me in for 25.00 Great information and great people. I don't want to see the site disappear:) .