PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw advice ,,help need

jeff oldham
12-13-2016, 5:56 PM
i needed a bandsaw so about 3months ago I got the sears 10 inch table top which did a good job,,,until the blade broke,,and I bought a new blade to replace it ,,looked at the owners manual,,plus you tube videos,,and I cant seem to get it right,,,can anyone tell me which bandsaw is the best as far as replacing the blade,,im not a expert on the bandsaw but surely there should be one out there that is more user friendly as far as replacing the blade,,,i have did everthing,,adjusting the tracking,,the roller bearing and it just doesnt seem to stay on,,,i would like to have a table top model,,but at this point I would take anything and consider it was just a costly mistake on my part,,thank you

John K Jordan
12-13-2016, 7:29 PM
i needed a bandsaw so about 3months ago I got the sears 10 inch table top which did a good job,,,until the blade broke,,and I bought a new blade to replace it ,,looked at the owners manual,,plus you tube videos,,and I cant seem to get it right,,,can anyone tell me which bandsaw is the best as far as replacing the blade,,im not a expert on the bandsaw but surely there should be one out there that is more user friendly as far as replacing the blade,,,i have did everthing,,adjusting the tracking,,the roller bearing and it just doesnt seem to stay on,,,i would like to have a table top model,,but at this point I would take anything and consider it was just a costly mistake on my part,,thank you

Jeff,

The small table top models I have seen are pretty low quality. You would probably be happier with at least a 14" model. I have a 14" Delta with a riser block and an 18" Rikon and I like both of them and have used them a lot and changed a lot of blades.

I don't know of any saw that is "best" for changing blades. They are all a pain. However, if the saw is aligned properly and the tires are in good shape and the tension is right the blade should not come off.

To install a blade, unplug the saw. Remove fence or anything else that is in the way, loosen the tension considerably, then move the guides back out of the way. Install the blade, positioned in the middle of the tires. Tighten the tension until it is right. I use a tension gauge but they are expensive. Others use a "flutter" test or just adjust by feel. Some books say to tighten to the saw's own gauge mark for that blade then tighten at least one mark more.

Before turning the saw on, turn the wheel by hand and watch the tracking. Adjust the tracking until the blade stays in the center the tires. (If different at the bottom and top you can split the difference or spend some time to tune the wheels until they are co-planer. This might be a job.) Once the blade stays in the center of the tires when rotated by hand, close the cabinet doors and try powering it up. If OK, turn it back off and adjust the guides.

JKJ

Reed Gray
12-14-2016, 12:38 AM
The table top ones are toys. They can work, but light duty only. Here is a link to the best bandsaw set up video I have seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU&t=14s

robo hippy

Peter Blair
12-14-2016, 9:27 AM
I agree with Robo. I saw this demo in person a few years ago at a wood show. He really knows his stuff even if he was trying to sell us on his blades and guides. Still worth the watch.

Robert Engel
12-14-2016, 9:47 AM
I agree with everyone re: table top saws. Quality and power are the issues.

Used bandsaws are pretty easy to find so I recommend start looking on Craigslist.

A few years ago I picked up a nice little floor model Jet 12" as a second machine for $100 at an estate sale.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-14-2016, 12:48 PM

You got all the other advice already , but I would suggest that at least for now, check that new blade you got, after all it did work well before as you say.

It happens to often that the bandsaw blade isn’t welded exactly right, so do check that very carefully, as it has to be straight, if you can lay it on something that you know is flat, with the back of the blade down, there should be no gap at all and laying right flat on the surface, after that you would know if maybe it was just the blade that gave you the problem you have.

Clint Bach
12-14-2016, 7:13 PM
Hmmm.

are the two blades the same length? If too long they could be maxing out the tension adjuster. Just a question...

Prashun Patel
12-14-2016, 8:27 PM
"which did a good job until the blade broke".

Don't throw your baby out with the bath water. While it's a possible truism that the 10" models are toys, the fact is YOUR toy was working for you. I second Leo's (as if he requires a seconding) suggestion to look at the blade.

what are you trying to cut?
what blade was stocked with the saw?
what blade are you attempting to put on (thickness, brand, toothcount)?

It appears that you are having tracking problems, which should be correctible.

Now it is entirely possible that once properly installed and tensioned and tracked, the saw just doesn't cut material well, but the fact that it once performed to your satisfaction means it is not the saw quality or size that is YOUR problem, but that you have overlooked something on the install...

Can you explain your problem in more detail so we may diagnose?