PDA

View Full Version : Turbine attic ventilators - cover them in winter?

Stephen Tashiro
12-13-2016, 3:02 AM
Is it common practice to put covers over the turbine type of (passive) attic ventilators in winter?

I find myself temporarily in charge of a house that has two such ventilators. In the mild climate of southern NM, I wonder if putting covers over the ventilators this winter is worthwhile.

Adam Herman
12-13-2016, 9:50 AM
the attic air should be close to ambient temperature all year round. You should not be covering your attic vents.

Jim Becker
12-13-2016, 2:07 PM
the attic air should be close to ambient temperature all year round. You should not be covering your attic vents.

That is my understanding, too.

Stan Calow
12-13-2016, 2:09 PM
Used to see that a lot around here, not any more. Not wanting moisture to accumulate in attic.

Bruce Page
12-13-2016, 2:26 PM
Our house was built with attic vents in each gable end. I cover my 3 turbine vents for the winter.
There's not a lot of moisture in the air in NM.

Rich Riddle
12-13-2016, 2:58 PM
The attic air should be close to ambient temperature all year round. You should not be covering your attic vents.I am another one who ascribes to this philosophy.

julian abram
12-14-2016, 5:00 PM
I know NM is low humidity but they are on the roof to ventilate. I'd vote not to cover.

Bruce Page
12-14-2016, 6:44 PM
I know NM is low humidity but they are on the roof to ventilate. I'd vote not to cover.
Someone mentioned maintaining ambient attic temperature and that is the goal. Ambient air temp is easy to maintain in the winter, impossible to do in the summer. Some people have attic fans to move the hot air out. In my case, I added turbines to vent the excess hot air. The turbines add no benefit during the winter.

Lee Schierer
12-14-2016, 8:15 PM
Years ago when we lived in Charleston SC, I added turbine vents to our roof and they made a tremendous difference in the summer. As I recall the literature that came with them recommended not covering them in the winter but many people did. One of the leading manufacturers has this note in their installation instructions.