PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 314 switch help

Gene Takae
12-13-2016, 1:35 AM
Hello all,
My friend has this trim saw and the switch broke and is NLA from Porter Cable. Can anyone give me a lead to one? DAGS yielded the usual ereplacement parts, etc. The PC 555 Biscuit joiner uses the same 888153 switch but I'm wondering if a later model switch is compatible?
Thanks,
Gene

Curt Harms
12-14-2016, 4:00 AM
The PC 555 biscuit joiner is a different beast entirely from the current PC 557 so I'd be surprised. It's a shame that saw is longer available or supported because I can't think of a currently available equivalent. Maybe see if there's a manufacturer name on the part and put on your Sherlock Holmes hat?

John K Jordan
12-14-2016, 8:03 AM
Hello all,
My friend has this trim saw and the switch broke and is NLA from Porter Cable. Can anyone give me a lead to one? DAGS yielded the usual ereplacement parts, etc. The PC 555 Biscuit joiner uses the same 888153 switch but I'm wondering if a later model switch is compatible?

What is broken on the switch? I have disassembled and repaired many switches. Sometimes it is a contact problem, sometimes from wood dust or corrosion which is easy to fix. I'm not familiar with that saw but for cases where the switch could not be repaired I've been able to adapt a different switch to make it work. When disassembling a switch pay attention to how all the parts fit together. Some have tiny ball bearings and springs which are easily lost.

Gene Takae
12-14-2016, 11:55 PM
Curt and John, Thank you for the replies. My friend has fashioned a replacement piece (it was the trigger that cracked) out of aluminum. At first I was concerned with the use of metal but we both recalled that many of the early power tools used metal parts for the switches.

John K Jordan
12-15-2016, 12:51 AM
Curt and John, Thank you for the replies. My friend has fashioned a replacement piece (it was the trigger that cracked) out of aluminum. At first I was concerned with the use of metal but we both recalled that many of the early power tools used metal parts for the switches.

Recall that early power tools also had grounded metal bodies and grounding plugs on the cords. Now they are mostly double-insulated with two-prong ungrounded plugs. I might still be concerned about a conductive switch trigger if there is even a remote chance an internal failure could connect the trigger directly to the 110v power.

This sound like a job for... 3D Printer Man! People all over the world are fabricating replacement parts for tools and things.

Could he possible construct a trigger from plastic stock? I've machined a fair amount of plastics, especially HDPE, but I don't think it would be too hard to make a part by hand, using saws, files, and Dremel. I've made parts from lignium vitae, too - very strong.

If no other choice, I would at least coat the metal with several coats of liquid tape or epoxy. Rough it up first for good adhesion.

JKJ

Rick Whitehead
12-15-2016, 9:16 AM
Try Eurton Electric-http://store.eurtonelectric.com/switches.aspx
They carry replacement power tool switches in several styles, as well as replacement brushes. They have a handy reference chart showing which brushes are needed for a wide variety of power tools.
Rick

Gene Takae
12-15-2016, 10:39 PM
Try Eurton Electric-http://store.eurtonelectric.com/switches.aspx
They carry replacement power tool switches in several styles, as well as replacement brushes. They have a handy reference chart showing which brushes are needed for a wide variety of power tools.
Rick

Thanks for the lead r
Rick!

Gene Takae
12-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Recall that early power tools also had grounded metal bodies and grounding plugs on the cords. Now they are mostly double-insulated with two-prong ungrounded plugs. I might still be concerned about a conductive switch trigger if there is even a remote chance an internal failure could connect the trigger directly to the 110v power.

This sound like a job for... 3D Printer Man! People all over the world are fabricating replacement parts for tools and things.

Could he possible construct a trigger from plastic stock? I've machined a fair amount of plastics, especially HDPE, but I don't think it would be too hard to make a part by hand, using saws, files, and Dremel. I've made parts from lignium vitae, too - very strong.

If no other choice, I would at least coat the metal with several coats of liquid tape or epoxy. Rough it up first for good adhesion.

JKJ

As a matter of fact John I have a 3D printer but haven't learned to program it yet. It would probably be safer to go with some kind of plastic for the trigger
though. I will suggest that to my friend.