PDA

View Full Version : Never seen such a tool...wow~

Mike Johnson - Chicago
10-09-2005, 1:53 AM
So, I've been struggling to put time in on a dining room table that I've been building since January...but I'm finally nearing the end.

Well, I always think that and then remember that finishing can take as long as manufacturing...but i digress.

So, I've been trying to decide the best way to sand a 40"x66" top, made out of "musical" lumber. I've got enough cash in it, the I don't want to make a wrong move.

After thinking about all the options, I decided to look into the "pros" in the area to see what they do.

Well to shorten the story a bit, I found a guy that supplies doors for cabinet builders. In his shop was a machine I've never seen, let alone heard of.

It is a 3-stage CNC controlled 43" planer/sander. 1st stage is a helical planer, 2nd stage is a drum sander and the 3rd stage is a 3 drum wide belt sander. The owner says it cost about $75,000!

Check it out!

My board was flat enough we didn't use the planer. He started out with 120 grit on the 2nd stage and made 2 passes per side. Then finished up with 150 grit on the 3rd stage and made 2 passes per side.

Stunning results.

I will now use my random orbital with 150 and then 220 and be done so much faster than I could have ever imagined.

1 word...stoked!

Just thought some other tool junkies may get a kick out of this,
M.J.

Karl Laustrup
10-09-2005, 7:00 AM
Need measurements to see if it will fit or if I have to add on to the shop. ;) :eek:

Just kidding. How much did he charge to run your table top?

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2005, 7:09 AM
Need measurements to see if it will fit or if I have to add on to the shop. ;) :eek:

Just kidding. How much did he charge to run your table top?

Fergit it Karl......see the size of that dust collection hood on the top? You'll also have to upgrade you DC setup AND you'll need 3 phase at your house!! :p :D BUT....we can dream right? ;)

Mike...very nice find. I used to get a lot of my stuff like that done. $20 went a long way with the guy I used to use when I lived in Alabama. I haven't found anyone out here yet.....but I will......Ohhhhhh, I will.... ;)

Alan Turner
10-09-2005, 7:54 AM
I have never priced a machine such as this, but I would think that 75K for a wide planer, drum, and belt sander would be quite low. Did he buy it on the used market?

Mike Johnson - Chicago
10-09-2005, 8:52 AM
Karl> The guy was like umm, how about $50...I opened my wallet and had only brought $40 (DOH!)...and he said "ah, that's fine". I was VERY happy with that. It probably cost him that much to turn it on!

And Dennis is right, the dust collection was outrageous. Each stage had an 8" duct and then there has a 12" main that was on the cabinet itself. Power wise, I'll take a guess at around 40!

Alan> I'm of the impression that this was bought new. We went on to show me the price points, explaining where each brand "fit".

Check out this Martin cnc shaper~ And another shot of my top coming out smooth as a babies bottom :)

Kelly C. Hanna
10-09-2005, 9:34 AM
Nice table top! The guy I use has a 48" planer sander, but his is more economical ($40k). Doesn't have a helical planer though, just a regular knife setup. He charged me $35 to run my 4'x7'x1.5" benchtop...you got a good deal!

Karl Laustrup
10-09-2005, 7:51 PM
Fergit it Karl......see the size of that dust collection hood on the top? You'll also have to upgrade you DC setup AND you'll need 3 phase at your house!! :p :D BUT....we can dream right? ;)

Wait a minute, Dennis. You trying to tell me that my 16 Gallon C-Man shop vac won't suck the dust out of that thing. :confused: ;) :eek:

I'm not sure I've even got one phase to my house, although it doesn't phase me at all. :D

Oh, well back to the drawing board. Yep, we can dream.......

Karl

Frank Martin
10-09-2005, 9:56 PM
Hi Mike,

That sure sounds like a good deal to me. I live in Chicago too and would be really interested in this guy's service. If you don't mind, please let me know where this guy is located, address, phone etc..

Thanks!
Frank

Mike Johnson - Chicago
10-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Frank,

I'll need to make sure it's not like someone introduced me to a farmer that lets 'that' someone fish the honey hole...and then I bring someone else to fish...and he may not want everyone fishing it :)

His business is supplying cabinet makers custom...no direct sales...and my luck is that he lives 1 street over from me (but his business is in the back of a warehouse in a tricky to find part of Burbank)!

That being said, I will ask him if he wants the reference and let you know later in the week.

Regards,
M.J.

Jason Tuinstra
10-10-2005, 1:59 AM
Mike, that's great. A perfectly flat top like is going to be wonderful. I can see why your so excited! And it's so close to your house. It kind of makes my Peformax look a bit, ah, small! Sounds like you got a great deal as well. Have fun and now get that table done so that we can see it!

Mike Johnson - Chicago
10-10-2005, 8:12 AM
Will do Jason! I was ro sanding yesterday~

I have promised to have it in the house for Thanksgiving...but the chairs are next year :(

Alan Turner
10-10-2005, 8:14 AM
Wait a minute Mike. 6 weeks; 6 chairs. You should have them done for this year's feast. (:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-10-2005, 8:17 AM
Now that is one heck of a machine!! It sure was worth $40 to get it perfect!!

Scott Loven
10-10-2005, 8:25 AM
I have a 50" sander at work that I can use if I ever find time to build anything!
Scott

John Miliunas
10-10-2005, 9:44 AM
Wow, Mike! That's like the largest wide belt sander I've ever seen in person, only on some major steroids!:eek: Whew...What a machine. You're fortunate in having it available so handily. May have to check around and see if there's anything like that around these parts.:) :cool:

Christian Aufreiter
10-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the pics, Mike. That's a very well equipped shop.
You should see the machinery a store in my area sells. You can find different stuff from Martin, Striebig, Schuko, SAC, Knapp, Ganner, Büftering, Brandt etc. ON DISPLAY ready to try (!).

Regards,

Christian