PDA

View Full Version : Lurem jointer/planer

john hejmanowski
12-12-2016, 8:59 PM
So, I am close to buying a 1985 310mm (12") combination jointer/planer made by a French company, Lurem, that went belly up on 2006. Spare parts are not available. The machine seems to be in great shape. 3kw 220 volt single phase motor. Typical 3 knife head. 60" overall length tables. The design seems to be very similar to what Grizzly is currently selling. You can later models of this planer/jointer for sale on European used machinery sites.

Does anybody have any experience with Lurem planer/jointers? Any thoughts?

I will be using it for hobby projects, cabinets, etc. so it will get infrequent use.

Thanks. John H

Matt Day
12-12-2016, 9:28 PM
John, are you located in the states or overseas? I've never heard of the company before.

john hejmanowski
12-12-2016, 9:45 PM
Matt, I am in New Lenox, IL. - south of Chicago a little ways.

Andrew Kertesz
12-13-2016, 6:31 AM
My concern would be the lack of parts availability...

George Makra
12-13-2016, 6:43 AM
Get it, other than a couple of bearings which can be sourced from a bearing supply house what can go wrong?

John Lanciani
12-13-2016, 7:19 AM
If it was what I was looking for, if the price was right, and if it seems to have been well maintained I would pursue it. You may never need a single part and it might outlast you but if it doesn't it is only worth scrap weight so you have to keep that in mind when considering a purchase like this. You have to be comfortable with the price and the thought that it could turn into either a project in itself or a paperweight and move forward accordingly.

Have you done any research (eBay, etc.) to see if there is any used part availability?

John Lanciani
12-13-2016, 7:26 AM
Get it, other than a couple of bearings which can be sourced from a bearing supply house what can go wrong?

Among other things the drive mechanisms on planers are full of proprietary parts that wear out over time.

My shop is a mix of modern European machinery and antique American iron. The antiques are typically cheaper, easier, and faster to repair than the European machinery that is still currently in production and sold through American distributors.

Bill Adamsen
12-13-2016, 8:04 AM
One of the attractions of the European jointers and planers is that they are typically outfitted with Tersa or Leitz knives - which provides access to a rich assortment of knife materials and fast changeover - real pluses. 310mm Tersa is a size that's readily available from carbide Processors and likely other sources. Compatibility with one of these systems would definitely add value. Of course you could always source a new Byrd or other head, but that might translate into real money.

Interesting post since I had never heard of Lurem.

john hejmanowski
12-13-2016, 8:43 AM
Guys, thanks for the comments. Much to think about.

Ebay Europe does not have any parts listed except drive belts, nor does an internet search show any source for parts. Interestingly you can still buy newer used Lurem planer/jointers and the prices are 2,500 to 4,000 euro.

I will look closely at the drive mechanism.

It has standard knives, not Tersa. I'd like Tersa but as this is just for hobby use this is not a big deal.

I will have to retro-fit a cutter guard, the one for this machine got lost along the way.

Is $1,000 to much? I am starting to think so.

Steve Jenkins
12-13-2016, 8:57 AM
In 1982 I imported a 16" Lurem Combo machine direct from France. I used it for about 15 years full time in a pro shop. No oroblems at all. Not sure what other 12"planer/jointers are selling for so can't comment on the price

john hejmanowski
12-13-2016, 9:33 AM
Steve, do you recall what type of cutter guard was on the machine?

John Lanciani
12-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Guys, thanks for the comments. Much to think about.

Ebay Europe does not have any parts listed except drive belts, nor does an internet search show any source for parts. Interestingly you can still buy newer used Lurem planer/jointers and the prices are 2,500 to 4,000 euro.

I will look closely at the drive mechanism.

It has standard knives, not Tersa. I'd like Tersa but as this is just for hobby use this is not a big deal.

I will have to retro-fit a cutter guard, the one for this machine got lost along the way.

Is $1,000 to much? I am starting to think so.

More than I would be comfortable spending on a 30+ year old machine with no support available. The knives may or may not be off the shelf pieces depending on whether they are slotted or have any recesses for jacking screws, etc. Also, just my personal feeling but when I see missing (or damaged) pieces and parts it tells me that the machine most likely wasn't loved and well taken care of. That machine was fairly expensive when it was new, if the owner was proud of it he would have kept it all together. Without seeing it in person, I'm inclined to say that $500 or so is where it should be.

John TenEyck
12-13-2016, 10:36 AM
I easily found a website in the UK selling knives for Lurem machines. And there's a used 16" J/P for sale in Canada listed at about $4700 CD that has no guard on it either; maybe they didn't put guards on them back then? That seems like a ridiculous price, but the machine looks like a battleship although the fence was dinky. If the 12" is similarly robust I'd be very interested. I also saw that Holbren sells a Byrd head for the 12" machine.

I bought a circa 1982 14" MiniMax J/P last year for $2000 and couldn't be happier. $1000 for a 12" would be OK with me if it's in great condition and runs fine. I'm in the group that if the machine is in good shape and the tables are flat and coplaner there's not much to go wrong other than bearings, and they normally are pretty universal. If it looks good I'd offer $750 for it.

John

Charles Lent
12-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Look at the motor name plate to see what the motor operating frequency is. European 50~ induction motors run faster on our 60~ power (about 14% faster). It should work OK, except for the higher than rated speed, which may or may not affect it's operation. If it was imported to be sold in the USA it may have had a 60~ motor installed. You can run a 50~ motor on 60~, but they cannot use our 60~ motors on their 50~ power. This info is just to let you know about the higher than rated speed possibility. If the cutter head is running near it's maximum safe speed at 50~, it may exceed it's rated max speed on 60~ and not cut efficiently.

Charley

Steve Jenkins
12-13-2016, 6:54 PM
The jointer guard was the European type the is a straight piece of plastic that covers the cutter head and the wood passes under it when face jointing and it slides away from the fence to allow edge jointing