PDA

View Full Version : Gun Vice or Stand

Dave Crabbs
06-18-2003, 8:02 PM
Hi All,
I was asked to make a gun vice or stand. I know nothing about guns so, I was wondering if anyone knows of plans for one. I was told that it is used to hold a rifle on a bench so you can work on it (mount scopes or clean it Not Shoot it). Any ideas where to look for plans for one?
Thanks
Dave

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-18-2003, 8:49 PM
I've seen ads for such things in gun magazines. You might contact the local gun or sportsman's club for references. If you are in a large city there is probably a large gun shop somewhere that mnight even have them in stock. Wrth a try.

Brad Hammond
06-18-2003, 10:43 PM
dave, i've built a couple for myself over the last couple of years, but i can't seem to keep one for very long after i take it to the range.........i always get an offer i cant refuse.
here's a pic a gun vice. this was the first pic i came across doing a google search, but there are many variations. they're very simple. the hardest part of the whole deal is to decide whether or not you want a wooden screw mechanism for securing the stock for cleaning.
this pic has a good design feature on the base. if you leave a little lip with trim or something the small screws and pins that are used for gun smithing will not roll off and get lost.
hope this helps.
cya

Kevin Beck
06-18-2003, 10:47 PM
The link below shows one example of a long gun cleaning stand. You should be able to google search for "rifle cleaning stand" and find more.

These are pretty simple to build. I would be concerned with what finish to use that won't be harmed by the solvents/oils used to clean a firearm. I have a plastic cleaning stand made by MTM. Outers and other folks also make similar cleaning devices.

No affiliation with the site below, I wouldn't think a plan would be necessary for something so simple.

If I was half as competent at woodworking as I am at shooting my scrap pile wouldn't be nearly as large. Of course I have a 30 year head start with shooting.

rifle cleaning stand (http://www.storm.ca/~debin666/html/projects2.html)

Dave Crabbs
06-19-2003, 7:14 PM
Thanks Everyone,
This is a big help for me. Like I stated I know nothing about gun other than when you pull the trigger they go BANG. The pictures and website are very helpful. I will show him the pictures and see if this is what he wants.
Again Thanks,
Dave