PDA

View Full Version : Gluing loose knots.

Tim Bueler
12-12-2016, 9:44 AM
Have 5k+ bdft of rough sawn blue pine to run through the planer. I've generally removed loose knots, cleaned off the pith and glued them back in with polyurethane glue. Fairly easy on the knots that fall out. For the knots that are snug, but obviously not snug enough to run through the planer, is there a better, easier, quicker way? Wondering if anyone has tried CA glue? Works great for a lot of things, and it's certainly easy, but does it have the structural integrity to stand up to planing? Any other options (besides cutting them out)?

Planer is a 20" PM w/ helical head.

Thanks in advance!
Tim

J.R. Rutter
12-12-2016, 10:01 AM
I use CA glue for this, mostly in alder though.

Greg Hines, MD
12-12-2016, 10:08 AM
I have heard of CA glue or epoxy for this. I have not needed to do it, however.

Doc

Alan Schwabacher
12-12-2016, 10:58 AM
I've not used it for that, but System Three makes a water-thin epoxy that soaks into wood well called RotFix.

Mike Henderson
12-12-2016, 11:06 AM
I've been using 5 minute epoxy. If you can leave the board flat, the epoxy soaks in pretty good.

Mike

Tim Bueler
12-12-2016, 7:05 PM
Thank you all! I don't have any epoxy in the shop but I do have some thin, medium and thick CA glue in the shop so I'll start there.
Tim

Dave Cav
12-12-2016, 10:40 PM
I've been using 5 minute epoxy. If you can leave the board flat, the epoxy soaks in pretty good.

Mike

Ditto. In fact, if you don't put some tape on the bottom, it'll soak all the way through if the knot goes all the way through.

Mike Chalmers
12-13-2016, 3:26 AM
I simply knock then out with the ball part of a small ball peen hammer and glue them back in using Lee Valley 2002 GF (gap filling).

Mike Henderson
12-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Ditto. In fact, if you don't put some tape on the bottom, it'll soak all the way through if the knot goes all the way through.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've experienced that and forgot to include it in my posting. And if you don't put tape on the back, it can glue the board down to your bench:)

Mike