PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2016, 12:51 AM
12 Dec 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
Made some really huge strides in getting the kitchen island top close enough to done to call it "done". Only have about 2 hours work left and then I'll crate it up for delivery later this week.
Here it is:

My shop is a total wreck right now and I'm ready for it to be back in the order it was before this island top project started.
That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Malcolm McLeod
12-12-2016, 8:15 AM
Very nice! That is not an "island", it is more of sub-continent. And I'm glad I don't have to help carry it!

I finished up a couple of sloped-top, display tables for local veteran organization's 'Hall of Honor' (...Dad delivered them before I got pics).

Jim Becker
12-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Great job, Dennis!! Not only is it an outstanding end result, but that project also gets the "teamwork" award!!! :)

Saturday morning after some pony time, I paid a visit to a local purveyor of lumber and dropped some coin on material for a "small commission" I accepted from a friend for a "retro modern LP record bin" piece. This is one of those projects where I'm willingly doing something for a lot less than it's worth time-wise because this particular friend did a huge amount of goodness for our family helping our older daughter cope with her issues a number of years ago and that's worth something to me. The record bin portion is relatively straight-forward although "order of assembly" is critical. It's the legs that are going to be the real challenge and a major learning experience, too. I spent the remainder of the weekend milling the lumber for the bins, creating the components and getting it partially assembled later on Sunday afternoon. Once that part is complete, I'll start tackling the leg system which has acute angles and some interesting joinery.

mark mcfarlane
12-12-2016, 12:32 PM
I built a step stool for my grandson so he can wash his hands and brush his teeth. My son helped. 2 hours from concept to completed product. Made from scraps around the shop. It turned out a little too tall so its coming back next week for modification.

Also calibrated my Festool MFT table and added a Starrett tape, and calibrated the Festool Parallel Guides to within 0.2mm. I wish I had a table saw (still having building easement release problems), but one can do fairly accurate work with the Festool system.

Mike Manning
12-12-2016, 2:22 PM
Great job, Dennis!! Not only is it an outstanding end result, but that project also gets the "teamwork" award!!! :)

Saturday morning after some pony time, I paid a visit to a local purveyor of lumber and dropped some coin on material for a "small commission" I accepted from a friend for a "retro modern LP record bin" piece. This is one of those projects where I'm willingly doing something for a lot less than it's worth time-wise because this particular friend did a huge amount of goodness for our family helping our older daughter cope with her issues a number of years ago and that's worth something to me. The record bin portion is relatively straight-forward although "order of assembly" is critical. It's the legs that are going to be the real challenge and a major learning experience, too. I spent the remainder of the weekend milling the lumber for the bins, creating the components and getting it partially assembled later on Sunday afternoon. Once that part is complete, I'll start tackling the leg system which has acute angles and some interesting joinery.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished product Jim. I've got some ideas rolling around in my head for a record bin for all my LPs that I just can't seem to part with.

Chris Hachet
12-12-2016, 2:23 PM
Got several drawers built and installed in a project I am working on, also got together with another Creeker and had a sharpening day.

Ron Magliocco
12-12-2016, 3:51 PM
I made 25 pens for my wife to give to her clients this Christmas. Started Friday after dinner and finished up by lunchtime Sunday. I kept saying to myself "this is why I love turning wood". Very gratifying and quick results.

RM

Clint Baxter
12-12-2016, 6:36 PM
On Saturday, had a friend come over to rough out a pair of wooden sunglasses. He is trying to make a pair from some walnut. He plans on doing most of it with a foredom and by sanding, but wanted to get the general shape roughed out. Didn't take any pics but did get the frame and the bows roughed into a general semblance of a pair of glasses.

It snowed again Saturday night so I got to move some more snow on Sunday. We've received somewhere around 30" in the last couple weeks so moving the stuff plowed off the street can be a large endeavor. 349354

Definitely wouldn't be moving near as much without the little Kubota.

Clint

Shawn Pixley
12-12-2016, 7:32 PM
It was miscellaneous small job weekend. Swapped out incandescent for LED, helped LOML with an etching project, some shop clean-up, and re-weatherstripped the front door using the old style bronze folded weatherstrip. The door is a custom size and configuration (I didn't build it, it came with the house). The hinge side of the leaf and the jamb are straight, plumb, and true. However the door & frame at the latch each have a warp to them - probably 3/16 out top and bottom (latch and deadbolt are tight). It is tempting to want to rebuild the steps to fix the appearance.

Took LOML out for dinner and a movie last night.

Rod Sheridan
12-13-2016, 1:24 PM
The Christmas presents I'm making are now glued up.

The shop smells great with that reclaimed Douglas Fir..........

Cutting rebates on the shaper, a pile of sticks, squaring the rebate corners........Regards, Rod.

Dave Stuve
12-13-2016, 3:14 PM
After almost a two-year hiatus in the shop I finished up some blanket chests for Christmas - walnut frames with cherry panels, finished with Watco Danish Oil (natural). Since the parts have been sitting around for years they're pretty much at their final color. Sorry for the lousy pictures - my camera's really having trouble picking up the subtleties of the wood grain this morning.

I used the Rockler torsion hinges - I really like the idea and they work well, but they are pretty big (they stick out farther than I expected and are pretty tall.) I'll add a close up of the hinges when the light gets a little better today.

John Sanford
12-14-2016, 5:23 PM

I also would like to see the end results, as I've just gotten wind of the need for a similar piece.

John Sanford
12-14-2016, 5:29 PM
Got the mobile base for my Jointer/Planer painted and hangin' around the dining room drying. Built a worktop for my Cycle Hill Tire Changer (https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cycle_Hill_Tire_Changer_p/tc-ch100.htm) which will allow me to move the thing from the garage to the porch where it can impersonate a table until it's needed again. Finally got my Rikon 8" 1/2 hp Slow Speed Grinder mounted on a board with one of two Wolverine bases. Mounting the second base is happening tonite, now that my CBN wheel, which is wider than the wheel it's replacing, has arrived.

And, of course, some general shop-puttering.