PDA

View Full Version : Christmas List...

John Grace
12-11-2016, 7:30 PM
Well all good little turners out there...it's that time of year that Santa is looking for ideas on what's your most wanted turning list. Is it that new gouge, jig, chuck...or simply going all in on that big boy new lathe? Seriously though...my wife has been bugging me about what's on my list and while I've sent her a short list of a half dozen or so items from which to choose, I'm very much interested in what other turners are looking for as that special gift from a loved one or simply to themselves. Never know...what you want may surpass my own list of a steb center, one of Teknatool's multi-option tailstock centers, a larger pair of calipers. Sadly...I don't foresee an American Beauty under the tree this year but a brother can hope, right?

Frederick Skelly
12-11-2016, 7:39 PM
* Nova G3 chuck with an extra set of jaws
* 5/8" crown-style (steb?) Drive center
* 60* dead center

For flat work:
* Four 18" Bessey parallel clamps
* Some antique molding planes

CHARLES D Richards
12-11-2016, 7:43 PM
Already have a Woodcut corer and a Bosch planer that came in last week. I told my wife not to wrap it cause we both know what's in the box :)

Brice Rogers
12-11-2016, 8:02 PM
My wife and I were out Christmas shopping. Although we were shopping together we separated in the shopping center. I got a call on my cell phone from my wife telling me that she needed my help and asking where I was. I told her "remember that jewelry shop that we were in about 10 years ago when you fell in love with that necklace? And we realized that we couldn't afford it but I promised to buy it for you when we could afford more? Well, I'm next door at the Rockler's store looking at wood turning products....." That was the start of the fight.... :D (a little Christmas humor)

John K Jordan
12-11-2016, 8:37 PM
She could go pick out a beautiful piece of exotic wood or three... then suggest what you could make for her.

JKJ

brian zawatsky
12-12-2016, 6:36 AM
I just treated myself to a pair of CBN wheels from Woodturners Wonders. They've been on the list for a while and I'm getting a nice bonus this year so I pulled the trigger. Ordered a 180 and a 350. Paid like 250 bucks for the pair, I guess they are less expensive because they are aluminum not steel. I'll be sure to report on their efficacy once I get them.

Mark Greenbaum
12-12-2016, 9:23 AM
I'd love to find a Bowl Saver system under my Hanukkah Bush! Probably just get new socks and underwear, though. :-)

John K Jordan
12-12-2016, 10:23 AM
I just treated myself to a pair of CBN wheels from Woodturners Wonders. They've been on the list for a while and I'm getting a nice bonus this year so I pulled the trigger. Ordered a 180 and a 350. Paid like 250 bucks for the pair, I guess they are less expensive because they are aluminum not steel. I'll be sure to report on their efficacy once I get them.

I've been quite happy with those I've bought. Ken told me he went with aluminum for several reasons, one was cost and one was the possibility (probably slim) that aluminum would pull heat away from the tool quicker. Lighter weight was also an issue as was the potential rust problem. One possible downside is they might dent easier than steel if abused, but unlikely in the hands of craftspersons!

JKJ

Michael Schneider
12-12-2016, 12:31 PM
bulldog chucks have a 15% off through the end of the year, and I have mostly vicmarcs, So maybe some more jaws, and a chuckzilla. I have a few of their jaws, and have been very happy with them.

I have to give a shout out to their wallaby tool roll. If you need something to carry your turning tools, it is very well made.

Just a happy customer of theirs. http://chucksplus.com/index.php

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah all, and thank you all for your generosity with you skills and knowledge,
Michael

Reed Gray
12-12-2016, 12:37 PM
I want a 10,000 sq. ft. shop....... On a river, in the country, with a forest, and a lake, by the ocean......

robo hippy

John M. Smith
12-13-2016, 12:28 PM
Never underestimate your wife. Mine bought me a PM3520b for Christmas several years ago. Wasn't even on my list.

Bob Bouis
12-13-2016, 12:33 PM
I ordered that proper curtain track I've been wanting. A good hospital-quality one. No more ceiling hooks!

Doug Ladendorf
12-13-2016, 2:21 PM
For me a good froe, and a Razertip woodburning set up.

Bob Bergstrom
12-14-2016, 10:56 AM
For me, it's a Makita big bore kit for my purchased rental saw from the big orange box store. Piston, cylinder and a few smaller parts will boost the chainsaw from 60 cc's to 79 cc's. Makita s and Dolmar are essentially the same saw. The swap is well documented on YouTube. The carb, and lower end are the same in top three saws they sell.

Clay Fails
12-14-2016, 11:08 AM
I want a 10,000 sq. ft. shop....... On a river, in the country, with a forest, and a lake, by the ocean......

robo hippy

Took the words right out of my mouth Robo!

Don Jarvie
12-14-2016, 4:50 PM
I just asked for a new face mask and moisture meter. I treated myself with a new 3520 for my birthday. Hard to ask for a lot after that.

Frederick Skelly
12-14-2016, 5:56 PM
I ordered that proper curtain track I've been wanting. A good hospital-quality one. No more ceiling hooks!

Bob, what do you use this for? Where did you find it?

Thanks,
Fred

Tom Albrecht
12-14-2016, 6:08 PM

robo hippy

You should checkout Zach LaPierre on the AAW site. Except for the size, he has it nailed!

Bob Bouis
12-14-2016, 9:06 PM
Bob, what do you use this for? Where did you find it?

Fred,

It's used to hold a curtain that wraps around the lathe while you're turning to keep shavings (and sometimes streams of water) from going everywhere in your shop. The one I ordered has the track suspended 12" below the ceiling so I can work around my lights, dust collection, air filter, all sorts of things that are in the way.

As it is now I have the curtain suspended from a couple hooks, and it's onerous to climb up on a chair to move it out of the way when not needed (especially since it's two pieces for entry and exit purposes).

The company I got it from is Covoc. Don't want to give them an endorsement as of now as I don't have it yet, but they have a good reputation and...well, fair prices, I guess, but not cheap for sure.

http://www.covoc.com/cubicle-track/

robert baccus
12-14-2016, 9:22 PM
I would like a case of good joint linamint? or a pair of good knee so I can turn more.

Jeffrey J Smith
12-15-2016, 12:20 AM
The company I got it from is Covoc. Don't want to give them an endorsement as of now as I don't have it yet, but they have a good reputation and...well, fair prices, I guess, but not cheap for sure/ (http://www.covoc.com/cubicle-track/)
Bob - you might look at the Vidga product at IKEA. It's not really clear on their website, but it is a curtain track system. I put in my last shop and it works really well. Nice rolling cars for the curtain, and my whole investment a few years ago was about $50 for their hardware. I used perforated angle steel to suspend the track from the ceiling (had 11 foot ceilings in the old shop) added the curved corners from Ikea...the whole thing including the net curtain was done for a little less than $100 total. Unless I did something very wrong, When I priced just the hardware on covoc it came to nearly $400 just for the track

Bill Bulloch
12-15-2016, 7:53 AM
Several years back I got a set of Hunter #1 tools for turning small boxes. It really did a great job on the inside of those small segmented pieces, so I bought the #5 to work on the inside of larger segmented pieces. I use it "rough to finish" and it is really does a super job. So my list has the Hunter #3 straight and full swan neck tools on in and a bottle of Macallan Fine Oak Single Malt 30 Year Scotch. I'm sure I will not get the Macallan's, but am looking forward to getting the Hunters.

Doug Ladendorf
12-15-2016, 2:40 PM
You should checkout Zach LaPierre on the AAW site. Except for the size, he has it nailed!

Got to like snow though! :-)

john taliaferro
12-15-2016, 4:36 PM
Robo you forgot the wood store next door that has free wood always ,and the mountain view . I want a big Elm log ,she just looked at me sideways .Guss it's shirt and underware .

Steve Doerr
12-15-2016, 5:57 PM
Bob, can you give me a web address for your curtain track? thanks

Sorry Bob, missed the earlier response.