PDA

View Full Version : Couple of saws

Dan Hulbert
12-11-2016, 1:08 PM
These are a couple of old saws I've been dragging around with me for 15-20 years. Don't exactly remember where I got them, but I have no plans of getting rid of them. They were obviously well used and frequently sharpened. The etching is mostly gone, but I can still make out the word "Boston" on one of them. They certainly show extensive use. One of the saw bolts has been replaced, and one of the handles shows signs of breakage and repair. I have no idea who owned them, but I have great respect for them. They must have served someone for most of their woodworking career. They still cut like a champ, although I rarely use them. Now that I have them out of their storage till, I think they'll go back to regular use. I kind of imagine that they'll be happier. Yes, some tools have personality.

James Pallas
12-11-2016, 3:29 PM
I bet they have some tales to tell. To have been used that much and still be around and serviceable they must have been cared for. Best guess you may only be the second owner.
Jim

Glen Canaday
12-11-2016, 3:43 PM
I've also got a couple like that. I think my no 7 panel saw served two carpenters for most of their lives before it met me. I have other saws to do the work, that one may enjoy its retirement.

Phil Mueller
12-11-2016, 4:08 PM
Love it. I've got one similar to the bottom saw...sharpened well past the bottom of the etch. It's been a great user thought. Enjoy them!

By the way, I have a cup full of old saw nuts...if you need one, pm me your address and I'll stick one in the mail.
Phil

Dave Anderson NH
12-11-2016, 9:51 PM
It is probably an "A.J. Wilkinson & Son" "Between State Street and Dock Square" "Boston" "Spring Steel 44 Warranted" All in the parentheses is on a full etch. Very nice saws, mine's a 10 point crosscut with a 24" plate.

george wilson
12-12-2016, 8:02 AM
I have had much sharpened saws like those. They are great when you have to saw gentle curves,and can use the thin tip of the saw to do so.