PDA

View Full Version : Shop Dividers

Jim Koepke
12-11-2016, 3:03 AM
Candy and I went to get our Christmas tree yesterday, since starting this post the day has rolled over. We knew we would be passing by one antique dealer today where we wanted to stop. We went across the Columbia River into Oregon on U.S. 30 to pick out a tree. We saw a second building with an open sign and decided to stop their on the way back. We also took a side trip through another town on the way home to see what new places we could find. Found a lot of lesser quality tools than what is already in my shop. There was also a lot of things that were a bit on the higher side of prices.

We stopped at the place we saw on the way in. There were a few items of interest. There was a pair of 8" wing dividers. The price wasn't visible from outside the case where they rested. The woman handed them to me, they were marked $35. After looking at them I gave them back to her and said they were a little more than what I wanted to pay. She asked how much I wanted to pay. Usually if my opinion on an item's value is less than half of what is marked I don't want to make an offer. I said it was quite a bit lower and I didn't want to insult her. She came back about her getting insulted all the time so she is used to it. I said I usually don't pay much more than about $10 for a pair of dividers. She said she would have to ask her husband. He came and looked, I pointed out a few detracting condition issues and asked what is his best price. He said how about $15, my reply was to ask if they take plastic. One thing I love about Oregon is no sales tax. Another thing about Oregon is gasoline is about 20¢ a gallon less there and state law requires pump attendants. I am not sure if it is legal to pump your own in Oregon.

So here are the dividers:

Interesting information on the manufacturer, P Lowentraut, online. The company started in ~1870 (sources do not agree) and ended production sometime before 1920.

Some weird tools were made and are viewable on ebay. One is a brace with a spanner wrench:

Since getting home the dividers have gotten a little oil and the wing had a bit of a kink in it that didn't allow for full opening. That has been corrected. Tomorrow they may get a little more work in the shop before being put into service.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
12-11-2016, 7:06 AM
Good find Jim. Fun story too!
Fred

James Pallas
12-11-2016, 3:24 PM
Fun trip sounds like. Interesting story about the dividers. It seems that dividers have become a must tool of late. What tasks do you use them? I have sets but don't often use them. That other brace tool is interesting also. Do you know it's intended purpose?
Jim

Jim Koepke
12-11-2016, 3:43 PM
Fun trip sounds like. Interesting story about the dividers. It seems that dividers have become a must tool of late. What tasks do you use them? I have sets but don't often use them. That other brace tool is interesting also. Do you know it's intended purpose?
Jim

The trip was a lot of fun. My favorite part was exploring old town St Helens. A lot of antique shops. Sadly there are also a lot of vacant store fronts.

Dividers are handy for layouts like dovetails and transferring or checking a measurement from one piece to another.

The brace wrench was likely an early version of a 'speed wrench' before socket wrenches and ratchets became popular. Back then a lot of bolts and nuts were square instead of the hex head.

jtk

Michael L. Martin
12-11-2016, 5:24 PM
Nice find on the dividers. They appear to be in good shape. I often see the markings, in various configurations, that are on the leg below the 8. I wonder if they are manufacturing marks, owners marks, or what?

Jim Koepke
12-11-2016, 5:32 PM
Nice find on the dividers. They appear to be in good shape. I often see the markings, in various configurations, that are on the leg below the 8. I wonder if they are manufacturing marks, owners marks, or what?

The V mark looks to be made by a previous owner.

The 'wing' was straightened a bit more in the shop today and the divider now moves through its range freely. The hinge rivet was also peened just a little to tighten up some wiggle.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2016, 5:48 PM
Jim,

In the late 70's when we lived in Bend, OR it was a state law that an attendant had to pump your gas. I believe it is still a state law.