PDA

View Full Version : Tiger snakes

Wayne Lomman
12-11-2016, 1:20 AM
Just had a sharp reminder of the fragility of life. I was down at the dam repairing the pump. Both the dogs were with me poking around in the reeds about 10 feet away. Trip pounced on something and Rose stood back. I had a quick look, saw nothing and went back to work. 30 minutes later my wife called Trip and there was no response. He was stone dead. Checked him and there is a bite on his lip. There is only one snake in Tasmania that can do this and that is the tiger. The hardest part? Trip belongs to my granddaughters and we were just minding him for a few months until they are in their new house.

Frederick Skelly
12-11-2016, 7:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear this Wayne. I'm glad that snake didn't bite YOU.
I don't envy you having to tell your granddaughter.
Fred

Matt Day
12-11-2016, 7:48 AM
Oh man, that's tough. Sorry for the loss. It's surely multiplied when it's not your dog.
You are right about the fragility of life.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2016, 11:06 AM
I am sorry to hear that Wayne! Tough to lose a pet! Even tougher when it belong to your granddaughters!

michael langman
12-11-2016, 11:37 AM
This is so sad. Life is so hard it seems . I am sure your granddaughter will understand, but such a difficult time.

Mel Fulks
12-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Sad here, too. Tell them it's a loss felt around the world and some prayers will be said for Trip and the family.

Mac McQuinn
12-11-2016, 4:34 PM
Tough loss, I can't even imagine explaining this to my granddaughter. It's possible, considering the 10' distance involved, Trip may have saved your life.
Mac

James Gunning
12-11-2016, 9:53 PM
Telling your granddaughter is a tough chore to do, but I agree the dog might have saved your life. Living in Florida we have all the varieties of poisonous snakes available in the US. However, having seen all the TV programs and looked at what is crawling around in your neck of the woods, I probably wouldn't go near any grass without snake boots and all the other armor available.

Wayne Lomman
12-12-2016, 4:22 AM
Thanks, everyone. I went to see the girls today and they were more concerned about how I felt. They are the best. And yes, you don't do anything outside here without long pants and boots. If any of you ever want to do any fly fishing in Tasmania, (great place for it) bring all the protection gear. Cheers

mark kosse
12-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Sorry about the dog.

I'm glad we don't have those here in the states. I had a dachshund that regularly got bit by copperheads. a few benadryl and 12 hours later they were ok.

julian abram
12-14-2016, 4:56 PM
Wayne, I was reading this about Tiger snakes. Afraid I might be in prison if one crossed my path or the path of loved ones.

"In most Australian states, they are protected species, and to kill or injure one incurs a fine up to $7,500, as well as a jail sentence of 18 months in some states"

Stewie Simpson
12-14-2016, 5:22 PM
Julian; you forgot to add in the important caveat.

It is an offence under the National Parks and Wildlfe Act to kill or remove a snake from its environment, with fines of up to $10,000 and two years imprisonment enforceable.

"The only exception is if a venomous snake is posing a genuine threat to life and safety."

We also have strict laws on the ownership of guns in Australia, but its best to avoid that subject on this forum.

Wayne Lomman
12-15-2016, 6:53 AM
Here's another true tiger snake story from about 3 summers ago. I was driving just down the road to the neighbours place when a tiger slid out across the road. I swerved around it but it went under the car. I looked in the rear-view mirror and didn't see it. I stopped, looked all around and under the car - cautiously - but no sign of it so I assumed it made its escape. 11 days later I'm at work when the wife rang me to ask why there was a dead snake where my car parks. When I got home we looked closely at it and it was coated in dust and grease. It had been living in/under my car for all that time and travelled 1100km before succumbing to its injuries.... Any other good snake stories? Cheers

Larry Frank
12-15-2016, 7:21 AM
I am really glad to live in a colder climate with very few poisonous snakes...maybe a cotton mouth. My wife hates/fears snakes of all kinds. A few years ago, she saved a Killdeer bird nest which is on the ground by throwing her purse at a Garter snake. Of course I had to get the purse because the snake was under it.

Wayne Lomman
12-15-2016, 8:07 PM
Larry, the cold climate only slows them down. If you go fishing up the highland lakes in mid summer when there is a snowfall, the snakes get caught out and can't move for a day or so till it thaws. You can walk past 20 tiger snakes and just grin at them. Cheers

Larry Frank
12-16-2016, 7:15 AM
I guess I am thinking of cold as -5 F with snow and the ground frozen a foot down. The snakes would be frozen solid unless they go deep.

Different places have different definitions for cold. I call really cold -10 F and lower.

I can not imagine losing my dog...I am very attached to my dogs.

Wayne Lomman
12-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Yes you have very different cold to here. We get high wind and high humidity cold that catches visitors out all the time because the numbers don't look bad. I have a friend from Poland who still can't believe how cold it is when he is used to -20C and wearing a t-shirt.

The tiger snakes get caught when it is a random summer snow storm that only lasts a day. You never ever go anywhere in Tasmania without a jacket just in case no matter what time of year.

At the other extreme, Tasmania is the place where I recorded the hottest temperature ever on a bridge painting job - 63C inside the dust containment tent. It beat an outback Australia job by 1 degree. This was about 20 km from the cold tiger snakes place a couple of years later. Cheers

Al Launier
12-16-2016, 11:13 AM
Wow! Tough to lose a family member, especially like that. Perhaps a puppy will console your granddaughters.

Shawn Pixley
12-16-2016, 11:50 AM
I am sorry for your loss. My father is a herpatologist, so I grew up around reptiles and snakes (though after I was born, my mother made him get rid of the poisonous ones). He lost the tip of his thumb due to a copperhead bite (helping the snake shed his skin). He was the one you wanted when we ran across a rattlesnake when hiking.

Around here, we lose a lot of dogs due to snake bite (primarily coastal rattlesnakes). There are training and aversion courses to train dogs to avoid the snakes. Perhaps they have them around your area as well.

Wayne Lomman
12-16-2016, 5:46 PM
Shawn, I had not heard of snake aversion training for dogs. I'll be looking for that.

Al, a puppy is going to happen. We have to wait to breed our other one as a Samoyed puppy sets you back Au$2200! Also we need 2 as we got used to 2 dogs. Cheers

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2016, 9:03 PM
Wayne, I am a believer that 2 are easier to take care of than 1 dog. They actually entertain each other IMO.