PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather & Old Bones; I'm Beginning to Understand

Rich Riddle
12-10-2016, 8:40 PM
The weather forecaster calls it a "polar vortex" that makes it darn cold with strong winds. I am beginning to understand the expression, "cold to the bone," that Pappy frequently said. How do you fellow old timers deal with the cold?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2016, 8:46 PM
Minimize exposure to it! :rolleyes:

Bert Kemp
12-10-2016, 8:50 PM
turn up the heat :eek:

Mac McQuinn
12-10-2016, 9:38 PM
I try my best to keep myself outside as much as possible and acclimate to the weather, even if it's just a hour or so. I feel I build a resistance to getting cold this way which helps with the joints. That said, my knees were aching a bit today. I tend to drink quite a bit of hot tea during the winter which seems to help.
Mac

Jerry Bruette
12-10-2016, 9:43 PM
Rich, i'm sorry to hear that it's getting cold where you're at.:D

I've heard that some people who live in cold climates take a vacation to someplace warmer during winter. You wouldn't happen to have a guest house would you?:)

Actually you do get used to it. I personally can't take the heat that you have in Virginia during summer.

Rich Riddle
12-10-2016, 9:48 PM
Jerry,

I spend most my time these days in Kentucky, just across from Cincinnati. I do still "live" part-time in Virginia and will return between Christmas and New Year's. We do have a guest house in Hebron, Kentucky. The Virginia summers can get punishing. Next Saturday, I am taking the old bones to Aruba just because you recommend a warmer climate.

Steve Peterson
12-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Try not to get old. I could handle the cold when I was in my 20s. I need to bundle up a lot more now that I am in my 50s. It is probably going to keep getting worse.

Steve

Dave Zellers
12-10-2016, 10:59 PM
I try my best to keep myself outside as much as possible and acclimate to the weather, even if it's just a hour or so. I feel I build a resistance to getting cold this way which helps with the joints.
This is good advice.

Dave Zellers
12-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Try not to get old.

This is even better advice. :D

Rod Sheridan
12-11-2016, 8:25 AM
The weather forecaster calls it a "polar vortex" that makes it darn cold with strong winds. I am beginning to understand the expression, "cold to the bone," that Pappy frequently said. How do you fellow old timers deal with the cold?

Well, I wouldn't exactly call myself an "oldtimer" however winter is just another of the seasons to be enjoyed.

I'm not a skier, however I like walking in the winter, especially when it's cold enough that the snow "squeaks" as you walk on it.

I also enjoy working outside (unless it's below -30, either temp or windchill).

The trick, like anything else is correct clothing, I own 4 different winter jackets for different uses/temperature ranges. A good hood and tuque, warm gloves or mits. and you're all set.

Now Rich, you know I work part time in Virginia, years ago I was down there supervising a concrete pad pour in January when I heard from behind me "Let's play spot the Canadian".

I turned around and it was the owner of the construction company, who I hadn't met before. When I looked around I was wearing a flannel shirt and jeans, and had a mug of tea in my hand. Everyone else was bundled up, no idea why, it was sunny, no wind and 20F, beautiful weather.

Last January I was in Kuujjuaq Nunavik and the temperature rose to -35, sunny with very little wind, everyone was going ice fishing because it was so warm.

Now, I have no idea how you southerners stand the summer, I've worked in Virginia in July and just about died, same as vacationing further south.

Anyway, it's only -5 this morning and the rest of the Christmas lights need to be put at my neighbours house, time to get going, Rod.

Dave Anderson NH
12-11-2016, 8:47 AM
Living in snow country all my life, western NY, MA, and NH, it's just part of life. About 7 years ago in January I was on my annual trip to the Colonial Williamsburg 18th century furniture conference. The morning I left to drive down it was -28F and you don't want to even think about the wind chill with the gale blowing. I arrived in Williamsburg and folks were moaning and groaning about the cold. It was +30F and there was a dusting of snow on the ground. I was wearing a long sleeve undershirt and a flannel shirt with a baseball cap on my head and was quite comfortable. People looked at me like I was crazy. What was the problem? It was almost 60 degrees warmer than where I'd come from the morning before. Mac is right, you CAN acclimatize yourself.

Rich Riddle
12-11-2016, 5:39 PM
Rod, Dave, and Mac,

I am headed to Aruba on Saturday to acclimate to winter weather.

Mark Blatter
12-11-2016, 7:12 PM
Now Rich, you know I work part time in Virginia, years ago I was down there supervising a concrete pad pour in January when I heard from behind me "Let's play spot the Canadian".

I turned around and it was the owner of the construction company, who I hadn't met before. When I looked around I was wearing a flannel shirt and jeans, and had a mug of tea in my hand. Everyone else was bundled up, no idea why, it was sunny, no wind and 20F, beautiful weather.

Last January I was in Kuujjuaq Nunavik and the temperature rose to -35, sunny with very little wind, everyone was going ice fishing because it was so warm.

My father grew up in Chinook Mt, just south of the Canadian border. He spent so many years working on the farm in the cold weather that he wouldn't even put on a coat until it was around 20 degrees outside. He told me once that he worked around some farm hands that spent much of their time on horse back working cows and sheep, yet they seldom wore heavy coats. The cold didn't seem to bother them much at all. He asked how they did it and they told he that once it started getting cold, they stopped taking hot showers, and didn't spend much time in heated houses. It allowed them to acclimate to the cold and stay that way all winter long.

I never understood it until I spent a winter working outside a fair bit when it was -15 to -35. It stayed below -25 for almost two weeks straight. When the cold spell finally broke, and it warmed up to about -5, I was walking around in a sweatshirt eating ice cream.

I do find that cold effects me more now than when I was younger. At 56 I simply dislike the cold more and the warm temps much more. I love May and Sept as the weather in Utah is about perfect then.

Jerry Bruette
12-11-2016, 9:19 PM
Rod, Dave, and Mac,

I am headed to Aruba on Saturday to acclimate to winter weather.

You realize that by fleeing to Aruba you've going to be labeled a snowbird?

Rich Riddle
12-11-2016, 11:06 PM
You realize that by fleeing to Aruba you've going to be labeled a snowbird?I have been called worse.....

John K Jordan
12-12-2016, 12:12 AM
With the farm I'm outside for a good part of the day, 95-deg or 5-deg. Just like me, the animals wake up hungry so I'm usually feeding and watering when it gets light. Fortunately, with animal care you are always moving - if I stopped to rest I'd be cold to the bones.

BTW, watering is especially interesting in freezing weather, especially where I don't have electric heaters. Using water hoses takes special care also - drain after ever use or, my favorite method, blow the water out with compressed air.

You get acclimated after a while; to an extent a big part of comfort is the relative temperature. I keep the shop near the barn at 60-65 in the winter. 60 would freeze me out in the summer but it sure feels toasty in the winter! If I kept my house as hot as some I've been in I'm not sure I could stand going out. Or coming back in.

I found that if I keep my ears, fingers and toes warm the rest of me doesn't mind the cold much. So earmuffs, gloves and boots, hat/scarf if windy, thermal layer with jeans & jacket - I can stay out all day. Fortunately it doesn't often get teeth-cracking cold in TN but we did have 20-28 temps the last few nights. But if it gets down close to zero (F) I get out the Carhart insulated coveralls!

JKJ

Jim Becker
12-12-2016, 9:50 AM
I deal with it via a single word: UnderArmour. :)

Gordon Eyre
12-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Precisely why I moved to St. George, Utah when I retired. Rarely snows and mild daytime temperatures with sun almost every day. I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah where it snows a lot and and they have temperature inversions every winter.

Rod Sheridan
12-12-2016, 12:32 PM
I have been called worse.....

And will be again the next time we meet!:D

I just went out to feed the birds and knock the snow off the feeder.

Apparently the squirrel was hungry.........Regards, Rod.

Larry Browning
12-12-2016, 1:54 PM
Try not to get old.
Hmmm, that seems a bit extreme. I think I will take my chances at getting cold, considering the alternative to getting old.:eek:

Jim Laumann
12-12-2016, 2:01 PM
Spend time by the wood stove - there is just something about that type of heat that can't be beat....

Brian Brown
12-12-2016, 2:08 PM
I like walking in the winter, especially when it's cold enough that the snow "squeaks" as you walk on it.

You are a sick Individual Rod! :D:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2016, 2:11 PM
Hmmm, that seems a bit extreme. I think I will take my chances at getting cold, considering the alternative to getting old.:eek:

The only alternative I can think of to getting results in one's body becoming cold IMO.

I'll suffer for a while longer, thank you!

Bruce Wrenn
12-12-2016, 9:44 PM
You realize that by fleeing to Aruba you've going to be labeled a snowbird?That little yellow bird in the upper corner of his posts is a snow bird.:)

Bill Neely
12-13-2016, 12:39 AM
I'm 74 and feel the cold more than when I was young, I wear a fleece vest most of the time because my back is sensitive to the cold. The weather here is wet/damp and chill about 6 months of the year, when I'm out walking it feels like the cold is painted on my face and hands.

My daughter lives in Colorado Springs and I find the wintertime there much easier to deal with, they get a lot more light too. I often wished I had chosen another place to live after I retired from the service. :(

Curt Harms
12-14-2016, 4:10 AM

I was having the same thought, Larry. I'm spending a couple weeks in Scottsdale, AZ and it's not too shabby this time of year. The summers on the other hand .........