PDA

View Full Version : Who's in the Holiday Spirit?

Rich Riddle
12-09-2016, 9:35 PM
All the decorations are up but I avoid going places where there are tons of shoppers and holiday music. Bah Humbug. Are any of you in the spirit this year?

Michael Weber
12-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Not me, but it's just been something to suffer through for years.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2016, 11:51 PM
I avoid going where there are a ton of shoppers all the time but it has nothing to do with Christmas. I just don't like crowds and crowded parking lots.

Rich Riddle
12-10-2016, 2:02 AM
Ken,

Lewiston, Idaho has crowds and crowded parking lots? I thought you had to travel somewhere else to find those.

paul cottingham
12-10-2016, 2:32 AM
I'm trying. I lost both of my parents at Christmas (Boxing Day and New Year's Eve 3 years apart) and all the drinking and the such makes it tough (I'm a recovering drunk.) Also, having to go to my in laws for Christmas dinner and listen to them bicker doesn't make it any better.

But out my wife and daughter love it. So I try.

Joe Tilson
12-10-2016, 9:55 AM
Rich,
YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN!!!!:eek:
Where do these threads come from!
Just kidding.
Merry Christmas, even though I feel like the rest of you.
Do not like the crowds and feeling closed in.
One thing we don't have to worry about is in laws.
Most of ours are gone or don't want to be around us.
I already have the greatest ever given.

Stan Calow
12-10-2016, 10:58 AM
I don't mind crowds and have little shopping to do. But I hate the insincerity and forced joviality that gets thrown at you everywhere, and the unconcealed desperation to sell you something.

Rich Riddle
12-10-2016, 12:24 PM
I am looking for Rod Sheridan to post a picture of himself in a Santa suit while drinking an adult beverage. At least, I would need an adult beverage if living that far north this time of year.

Rod Sheridan
12-10-2016, 12:49 PM
All the decorations are up but I avoid going places where there are tons of shoppers and holiday music. Bah Humbug. Are any of you in the spirit this year?

I certainly am.

Last day of work for me was December 3, off until January 3. This is normal for me, the projects are completed and we are on condition brown so we can only make repairs, no modifications or installations.

I caught a corker of a cold, however I'm working in the shop and putting up decorations. I never go shopping in December except for Lee Valley and groceries.

It's a time of wood working, bird feeding, seeing friends and enjoying the season.

Diann is English and Christmas is the years most important event for her, me as well even though we're atheists.

It's a season of donation also, I don't accept Christmas presents, so everyone gives me money which buys Christmas dinner for about 100 people at a local mission.

I really enjoy this time of year, the snow, the cold, the decorations, the food, and most importantly the spirit of generosity that I wish we exhibited all year long......Merry Christmas Rich, you old Grinch :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2016, 1:40 PM
Rich,

Clarkston, WA is just across the Snake River from Lewiston, ID. It has the only Walmart Super Store and Costco for 110 miles north, 135 miles west, 210 miles east and 260 miles south. Those two stores along with the other retail stores in Lewiston and Clarkston provide the best shopping for a large quadrant of northcentral Idaho, NE Oregon, and SE Washington. Believe me we do have crowds especially at this time of the year.

I married an older woman whose greatest joy is little children and I am not sure she, herself, will ever grow up. I accept that. She has put up with me and loved me for nearly 48 years. She dearly loves Christmas and even though we won't have any of our grandkids or great-grandkids here for Christmas, she decorated the house and we will celebrate Christmas. We could have traveled to spend Christmas with family but we have just spent too much time on the road this year. That was her choice.

We were married on Christmas Eve and so our 48th anniversary is rapidly approaching. I thought of a nearby place to celebrate our anniversary too late to get reservations for Christmas Eve or Christmas or even New Years but I was able to get a room for a couple nights next week. We will travel the snow to the Bavarian themed town of Leavenworth, WA. Our room looks out over the park decorated with colored lights and Christmas displays. We will wander during the day shopping. Late one afternoon we have a horse drawn sleigh ride for two scheduled.

I don't remember if my wife has scheduled a Christmas dinner with our oldest son, his wife, MIL and BIL. It's quite possible.

My shopping for Christmas was completed a week ago so I have managed to avoid the crowds this year.

I got my Christmas present early in the form of a Dewalt DWS780 SCMS.

Merry Christmas everybody!

David Helm
12-10-2016, 4:14 PM
I'm getting there. For the first time in ever we will have two of our five grandkids with us. Tree is up and decorated. What constitutes outdoor decorations (one string of icicle lights) is up. Dining room table is covered with presents (half for here, half for the other three grandkids in Colorado). Going to a holiday wine tasting party tonight.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-10-2016, 4:56 PM
It's not Christmas in the islands until you hear this song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HkG3tQJDoLk
And this song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZFMHEZOq4 "...How will Santa get here? There is no reindeer in my country, he had to borrow me neighba' donkey..." I love that line.

Brian Henderson
12-10-2016, 5:38 PM
We got the tree up right after Thanksgiving, have the outside lights up, but for some reason they stopped working and I have to investigate that this weekend. All presents are bought and wrapped.

Rich Engelhardt
12-10-2016, 6:07 PM
Who's in the Holiday Spirit?

ME ME ME ME!!!!

Mine are numbered so I want to make the most of the ones I have left!
:) :) :)

Brent Cutshall
12-10-2016, 6:09 PM
Well Christmas for me is a test of skill because eeeeverybody wants something. I've got a stack of Christmas project wood in my shop and when I open the door, there it is, trying to fall on me. Here for a while, I've sit and worked on people's commissioned projects humming "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas." Merry Christmas you filthy animals!

paul cottingham
12-10-2016, 8:09 PM
I just started turning. So everyone gets a bowl. Which is fun. And saves me money.

Mason Truelove
12-12-2016, 8:22 AM
December is a month of giving, loving and forgiving. Merry Christmas everyone!

Bruce Wrenn
12-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Sunday week ago, wife and I went to see "A Christmas Carol" at local theater. It was GREAT. Wednesday night took in TWO outdoor light shows, plus dinner. Friday delivered the remainder of 650 Toys For Tots car bodies for a Saturday workshop to assemble them. Been cutting and sanding since back in August. Marines will pick them up tomorrow night. Tomorrow retirees Christmas lunch, garden club Christmas Banquet tomorrow night. Grandson's decorated tree past weekend. Put lights and manger on fence out by road two weeks ago. We live 500' off road, so lights in yard don't show up for public to see. Installed lights across my shop though. Actually didn't install them, but rather turned them on as I never took them down. Son and his wife and younger daughter aren't going to be here this year. They will be in 3500 miles west of LA visiting their older daughter. This will be first year without wife's father, as he went home to be with the Lord in Oct. Without FIL and son and his family, Christmas will be different this year. Hoping for a great Christmas present this year, being able to go back to work, after a couple surgeries, and recovery. Merry Christmas to all!!!

Roger Feeley
12-13-2016, 3:43 PM
I'm not really in the spirit this year. We move into our new house on Monday and I have to rebuild a shop from storage that took me 20 years to accumulate and over a month to tear down. I'm exhausted in advance.

Brian Henderson
12-14-2016, 12:27 PM
I'm not really in the spirit this year. We move into our new house on Monday and I have to rebuild a shop from storage that took me 20 years to accumulate and over a month to tear down. I'm exhausted in advance.

I can sympathize, I did the same thing in June, still haven't finished.

Tom Stenzel
12-14-2016, 3:28 PM
Two weeks ago I attended a friend's mothers funeral. Last week was my wife's grandmother was buried.

This morning I found out an uncle had passed yesterday. I just finished calling family members passing the word along.

Even without the funerals there's another situation that, as Daffy Duck would put it, is dithpicable. When all the boxes are opened on Christmas day my wife will still have more Lee Vally stuff in the kitchen than I have in the workroom.

Humbug indeed! ;)

-Tom