PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 53 spokeshave part

Stephen Rosenthal
12-09-2016, 6:34 PM
Hi all,

Not sure whether I should post this in the classifieds, but figured I'd try here first. I recently purchased a Stanley 53 spokeshave on you know where. It's in great shape EXCEPT: the guy who sold it had the wrong screw in the hole that operates the adjustable mouth, thereby making the adjustment inoperable. He claims he used it a few times without any problems, but while I won't call him a liar (he may have used it as a fixed mouth shave), I will say that it is impossible to adjust the mouth with the existing screw. Anyway, I know Stanley used a lot of proprietary screws/threads and this is likely one of them, as neither a 10-24 or 10-32 fit and 8s are too small. I can return the shave, but before I do I thought I'd see if anyone had a spare one (original knurled head or thumb screw) laying around. I'm willing to pay a reasonable price, of course. I checked various Internet sources to no avail. I figure if I don't hear anything by next Wednesday, I'll go ahead and return the shave.

Thanks,
Steve

Jim Koepke
12-09-2016, 6:59 PM
Anyway, I know Stanley used a lot of proprietary screws/threads and this is likely one of them, as neither a 10-24 or 10-32 fit and 8s are too small.

My guess is it is a 10-28, Stanley liked 28 threads to the inch for a lot of things.

You might try Bob Kaune:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com

Or >nh plane parts<, for this you will need to search on Google since the only links seem to be his ebay store and SMC doesn't allow linking to ebay.

Even if you can get the part do you know the threads aren't buggered from someone using the wrong screw?

jtk

Bill Houghton
12-09-2016, 9:35 PM
Pete Niederberger (e-mail: pniederber@aol.com) is another possibility. He's knowledgeable, and has come through for me more than once.

But if you strike out: If I recall correctly (the shop's locked up for the night, so I'm having to go from memory...), I retapped the hole in my No. 53 to accept a common current size (you can retap to a finer thread of the same size, in most cases), and used a knurled screw I made from lamp parts. I can explain how I did it, if you're interested.

Stephen Rosenthal
12-09-2016, 9:48 PM
Thanks Jim. I already checked Bob Kaune, but was unaware of nh plane parts. After an exhaustive Internet search 10-28 screws seem impossible to find, so unless nh or a fellow Creeker has one I think I'll return the item. I looked at the threads with a bright light and 10x loupe and they appear to be okay. I may ask a friend who is a machinist if he can tap a new hole with a more common thread pattern, but not sure it's worth all the trouble.

Steve

Stephen Rosenthal
12-09-2016, 9:58 PM
Bill,

My latest post crossed with yours, so I think we're on the same page. You know, I didn't think of Pete; he's a good source and just across the GGB so I'll shoot him an email. If my machinist pal can't or won't do it, I'll take you up on your explanation.

Steve

Jim Koepke
12-10-2016, 1:19 AM
Bill,

My latest post crossed with yours, so I think we're on the same page. You know, I didn't think of Pete; he's a good source and just across the GGB so I'll shoot him an email. If my machinist pal can't or won't do it, I'll take you up on your explanation.

Steve

I could think of Pete, but forgot his name. I dealt with him a couple of times and would buy from him again.

jtk

Stephen Rosenthal
12-11-2016, 5:39 PM
Looks like Pete has one for me. Many thanks to Bill and Jim.