PDA

View Full Version : Pitted Froe

Ryan McKenna
12-09-2016, 1:27 PM
Good afternoon,
I have been wanting a froe for awhile and could find uses for one but have not had the "need" for one so have held off on buying a froe from LV. I recently came across an old pitted froe blade at a local antique mall for about half the price of the new one. The blade appears to have been cleaned up and spray painted which is fine but the surface is covered in pits.
Before buying it, I wanted to check with some experienced users to see if the pits would cause any issue. I imagine I will need to put a new edge on it but will I need to remove all of the pits or just make it relatively smooth?
Would it be better to save my money and just by a new froe once I have a need?

Thanks
Ryan

Jim Koepke
12-09-2016, 2:18 PM
My froe cost me ~$25 years ago. It was in ugly condition. The pits do not seem to detract from splitting things.

Make sure the eye for the handle is tapered. I made a new handle for mine. It gets most of its use so far for splitting fire wood. I did make a mini-froe from a planer blade and use that a lot for splitting out dowel pieces.

jtk

Eric R. Smith
12-09-2016, 2:19 PM
The pits are irrelevant. Use it as is,it is primarily a controllable wedge.

John K Jordan
12-09-2016, 4:39 PM
The pits are irrelevant. Use it as is,it is primarily a controllable wedge.
My froe came from a junk dealer and is pitted from rust. Works well. As mentioned, it is a wedge with a handle. I made a maul and some gluts from dogwood.

I also finally found, after a long hunt, a very old broad axe, surface also a little pitted but cleaned up nicely. Haven't made a handle for that yet.

My best "old" tool is a really nice adze. My sister-in-law was using it for weeding. I made a new handle from hickory.

JKJ

Bob Glenn
12-10-2016, 10:28 AM
What they said..........plus, don't hit it with a steel anything.

Bill White
12-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Re: John K.
That dogwood maul and glut(s) are my go-to froe weapons.
Darned hard stuff, and a waxed glut will sail through wood.
Pitting is of no consequence on a froe. I was lucky on my find. Pretty darned clean for a hand forged tool.
Bill

Ryan McKenna
12-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will try to pick it up tomorrow if it is still available tomorrow, snowed in today.

russell lusthaus
12-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Also, don't put a sharp edge on it, a thicker blundt edge is called for.